MILEY!... Like/hate? Use/diss? ... has cyrus bruised it?

I have to agree that the “image” of [name]Miley[/name] has changed a lot thanks to [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]. The thing is, [name]Miley[/name] was not at all a common name before she became famous. It had a HUGE jump in popularity in 2007. It had never been in the top 1000 ever and then suddenly in 2007 it jumped to 278 and has been increasing ever since. That jump is totally attributed to [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] and down the road, if the name stays popular (and it’s on trend- [name]Kylie[/name], [name]Riley[/name], etc- so it might) then eventually it will become associated with other people. But, it’s not like [name]Brittany[/name], [name]Christina[/name], [name]Taylor[/name] or other “pop star” names because those names were popular when those people were born. There are tons of other people out there named [name]Brittney[/name] or [name]Taylor[/name] who you can associate the name with- I personally know three girls name [name]Brittany[/name] and a guy named [name]Taylor[/name]- but I don’t know a single [name]Miley[/name]. And I think that’s the case for a lot of people. However, think about [name]Madonna[/name] or [name]Beyonce[/name]- those names are tightly connected to celebrities, as is [name]Miley[/name]. And to a lot of people, naming your child [name]Miley[/name] says that you like [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]. And even if you don’t dislike [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name], do you want to connect your child with a pop star? What if [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] follows the fate of lots of other teen stars and bruises her name? What affect will that have on the perception of the name [name]Miley[/name], since it is closely linked with one person? [name]Brittney[/name] Spears has done tons of questionable things but her name was popular long before she was famous. So I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t know that she has bruised the name (yet), but I think parents are cautious of using a name closely tied with a celeb because you never know what the future of that person is. I, personally, am not a fan of [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name], but I don’t dislike her, and I wouldn’t use the name [name]Miley[/name] on a child for two reasons. One, it’s trendy and along with it’s sibling names ([name]Kylie[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Haylie[/name], [name]Kaylie[/name], etc) I believe it will become dated. Two, I’d get so old of the “Oh, like [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]?”/“Were you a big [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name] fan?” questions.

I HATE the name [name]Miley[/name] with a flaming passion. I can’t stand [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name], and the name itself sounds tacky and trashy. It’s on my bottom 10 names. [name]Mila[/name] is a much better alternative to [name]Miley[/name]. And I think that [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] has really ruined it, yet some people still insist on using the name.

While [name]Miley[/name] did not originate from the Cytus girl, it was VERY rare until she became popular.

I do honestly like the sound of it, but I also think [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] has more than bruised.
Maybe when shes out of the limelight it will seem usable but might have a dated sound by then especially if the [name]Riley[/name]/[name]Kylie[/name] trend id done with

I personally don’t have much of an opinion on Miss [name]Cyrus[/name], I don’t like her [name]Music[/name] or Acting but think she seems like a decent good-natured person. But she is not a very good role-model and wouldn’t want that to be associated with my daughter. But even if she dressed more respectably I think any name so heavily associated with one person especially such an overexposed person will cause trouble for the child. Many people who consider [name]Elvis[/name] the king will tell you it’s cruel to name a child after him.

But I did like the name and it had a similar sound to [name]Molly[/name] (a name I love) & [name]Milly[/name]. A similar structure to [name]Riley[/name], [name]Wiley[/name] (two boy names I love) and [name]Kylie[/name]. It’s highly likely it was a nickname for a few [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Milo[/name]'s. And I bet there are a couple of [name]Mai[/name] [name]Lee[/name] or [name]Mai[/name] Li’s out there. So I think it works.

I never really understood why people are against the whole idea of made-up names, yes it usually results in some pretty bad names but there have been a few good ones. The bigger concern for me is I never felt it held enough weight, it always seemed very nicknamish and not my style I usually favor old fashioned girl names. My biggest guilty pleasure name has also been [name]Milo[/name] or Mailo for a girl I never thought of it as an actually possibility until I thought this nickname was revealed to me. But then the she became a household name a squashed that idea for me (which is probably a good thing)

I do think it can still pass for a nickname though, the best candidates are also made up though [name]Myla[/name] or Mylene. The only real name I can think of is [name]Mai[/name] and you’d have to have a middle name like [name]Leigh[/name], [name]Leanne[/name], or [name]Leona[/name] for it to not seem like a stretch