Mini?

I think [name_f]Mini[/name_f] is pronounced the same as “meanie”. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think the girl would encounter teasing?

1 Like

Mini sounds like [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] to me and doesn’t sound the same as meanie in my accent.

3 Likes

I think it’s more likely she’d get teased because mini means small. I’d spell it [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]. I think it’s a cute name!

2 Likes

Thanks @hellobanjo and @tallemaja but no, not [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]. I met a girl named [name_f]Mini[/name_f] and she pronounces it “meenee”. I looked it up on Nameberry and it is a name, separate from [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]. Anyway, she’s from a different country and chose this as her [name_f]English[/name_f] name. I’m concerned about her.

I wouldn’t ever think that [name_f]Mini[/name_f] would be pronounced any other way than [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], which is adorable IMO!

2 Likes

I think the “small” thing is more problematic with [name_f]Mini[/name_f] (what if she’s overweight :/), but [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] solves the problem!

3 Likes

Ah well all you can do is point it out to her. Its her choice :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I think the word mini meaning miniature would be more problematic than sounding like meanie. [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] is more well known but sounds like mini and it’s in the top 5000. If it’s the girl’s name you could tell her, but ultimately it’s her decision.

1 Like

Ah so maybe she’s pronouncing it wrong. OK thank you everyone!

1 Like

I’d assume it was pronounced like [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and I prefer that spelling

1 Like

I would also think that [name_f]Mini[/name_f] is pronounced like ‘meanie’. I think teasing is a risk for this name but not a certainty.

1 Like

Thanks, and yes it’s always preferred to teach kids not to tease but it doesn’t always happen That’s why no one is nicknaming their [name_m]Richards[/name_m] [name_m]Dick[/name_m] anymore, right? lol

Random but I had a mini cooper :blue_car: (pronounced minnie cooper) that I named [name_f]Minnie[/name_f].

1 Like

Mini = [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] to me, I don’t think teasing would happen because of that aspect. But mini does mean small, so kids could catch on in that sense.

1 Like

I think it doesn’t sound like meanie but I would prefer [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]. Although the name reminds me of [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] Mouse

1 Like

I would pronounce [name_f]Mini[/name_f] as [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] is usable, but I would definitely avoid using [name_f]Mini[/name_f] - since it’s just a word that means small. What if she’s very tall, or what if she struggles with her weight? I would be concerned about teasing but also about how being named [name_f]Mini[/name_f] might affect her ability to have a healthy body image & healthy relationship with food.

1 Like