Mira(bel)

See the results of this poll: Which name do you like better?

Respondents: 59 (This poll is closed)

• Mira : 32 (54%)
  • Mirabel: 27 (46%)

Seems like y’all prefer [name_f]Mira[/name_f] to [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] 2:1 - but I’m still curious about why!

I love [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]. It’s pretty. [name_f]Mira[/name_f] on it’s own seems too short to me, especially when you have [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] to compare it too. I didn’t know it means “beautiful”, so I wouldn’t get stuck on the definition, OR you could talk about being a beautiful person overall, like being kind, supportive, a good friend, etc instead of focusing on the physical aspects of the word. I don’t know why people prefer [name_f]Mira[/name_f] over [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]. Perhaps they think [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] is too frilly? We have considered [name_u]Mirren[/name_u], nn [name_f]Mira[/name_f], for a daughter, which is less flowery. But I think if you like [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f], use it.

I love the star connection with [name_f]Mira[/name_f]. It’s short but beautiful, and a little less cutesy than [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] to me. (Though, I must confess, with the exception of [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], I’m not a huge fan of the -bel names, as they all sound a bit dainty to my ear.)

I do worry that [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] is too frilly - I don’t generally like names that are, and I can see how it would seem that way to others, but for some reason strikes me as more solid. I didn’t know about the star for [name_f]Mira[/name_f], though - thanks!

I voted for [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] but honestly like both. There is nothing wrong with a name being frilly and there is nothing wrong with a name meaning beautiful! [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] / [name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f]'s actual meaning isn’t “beautiful”, however! It means “wonderful” - Meaning, origin and history of the name Mirabelle - Behind the Name. I understand that “belle” means beautiful but beauty is not just on the outside, it can be described having a beautiful personality etc.

If you are writing off [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] off because it’s “frilly”. Someone can be frilly and feminine and still be strong. Someone can also have a frilly name and be a tomboy or vice versa. I also just allow myself to like what I like regardless of it’s “my style” (of course if it’s ridiculous that’s different) if you restrict yourself you could be missing out on the name. She could always go by [name_f]Mira[/name_f] too.

I don’t think either are bad! It’s a matter of personal preference. I also wouldn’t worry about popularity - of either name. [name_f]Mira[/name_f] is ranked in the mid 500’s in the US ATM, no where near being popular. [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] is different name than [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] plus it differentiates itself with the nickname [name_f]Mira[/name_f].

I voted for [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f], it’s just got something special, that I think [name_f]Mira[/name_f] is lacking. I don’t know why I feel like that, I just do. I’d say the same if it was [name_f]Amira[/name_f] or [name_f]Mira[/name_f], even an extra letter, seems to add something.

I like a longer name with nickname option, so if you go with [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] she can easily go by either the full name or nn [name_f]Mira[/name_f].

I voted for [name_f]Mira[/name_f] but really do love both names for different reasons. If you choose [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] you could still call her [name_f]Mira[/name_f] but they do have distinctly different vibes about them. [name_f]Mira[/name_f] feels more contemporary and [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] quite vintage so maybe if your style leans more one way than the other, that’s your answer.