Miranda in honor of Amanda?

Recently I realized that [name]Miranda[/name] could be used to honor my dad, [name]Randy[/name]. But then I started thinking it could possibly honor my sister [name]Amanda[/name] as well. It has the same -anda ending and if you take out the “ir” you’re left with [name]Manda[/name], which is one letter short of her name. That’s where I become less sure. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Miranda[/name] could honor an [name]Amanda[/name]? Or is it too much of a stretch?

Definitely - I’m personally quite fussy about an honouring name being close to the original (otherwise I don’t really find it satisfactorily obvious), and I think [name]Miranda[/name] for [name]Amanda[/name] works well - they’re both gerunds (or is it gerundives? I’ve never really pinpointed the difference) after all, and that’s a pretty rare name category.

I’d say an [name]Eloise[/name] could honour a [name]Louisa[/name] or [name]Giselle[/name] could honour [name]Michelle[/name], so [name]Miranda[/name] for [name]Amanda[/name] is definitely fine. [name]Even[/name] if the connection was more tenuous, the most important thing is that it feels to you as though you are sufficiently honouring your sister - everyone has different opinions on how close the honouring name has to be, after all, but you’re the one who’ll either be satisfied or not with your choice.

[name]Auburn[/name]

I think [name]Miranda[/name] would be fine to honor both your sister [name]Amanda[/name] and your father [name]Randy[/name]. Isn’t it wonderful to have a completely unique name and yet honor family members at the same time? [name]Miranda[/name] is very pretty and feminine with the great nn option of [name]Mira[/name]. Good choice!

[name]Miranda[/name] is lovely and I think it honors your sister [name]Amanda[/name] and your dad [name]Randy[/name] quite well. Good luck!

I don’t think it’s a stretch at all - And I love it - great name!