miscarriage and trying to stay sane

So I had a positive pregnancy test about a week before [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] (since we weren’t trying, I really am not that sure when the first day of my last period was . . . it just seemed like it had been “awhile”.) [name_u]December[/name_u] 28th, I started spotting. Called the next day. They weren’t too concerned, but had me come in for a blood draw on the 31st. The night before, I went from light spotting to heavy bleeding (soaking a pad every half hour, passing large, egg sized clots) and that went on for four hours without so much as a twinge of pain and then abrubptly stopped and went back to something a little lighter than a normal period.

The blood draw showed my hcg where it would be expected for as far along as I thought I was, but my progesterone was 1.3! Not just low, but almost nonexistant. So it was pretty clear I had miscarried, but the nurse wanted another blood draw on the 5th.

The numbers actually went up. Not a lot, but some, so I get to go back in two weeks.

Now the bleeding stopped and I’m back to light spotting, but the pregnancy symptoms are going to drive me insane. I know in my head it is normal and that it can take awhile for the hormones to go away, especially if not everything was expelled. But I have all of them . . . the morning sickness, the frequent urination, the needing to pull out my maternity pants . . . and it’s driving me crazy.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] how normal is it to feel more pregnant a week after a miscarriage than I did before?

Firstly, I’m very sorry for your loss. Continuing to experience phantom symptoms has to be heart-breaking.

It can take a long time for the B-HCG levels to normalize after miscarriage (even several months). No one is entirely sure why pregnancy symptoms are what they are, but B-HCG is often quoted as the culprit, especially for nausea. It doesn’t imply that there’s still pieces of placenta or anything inside, but if the numbers are really quite slow in downtrending, or stay the same, you’ll need to be checked out via hysteroscopy.

I have no medical experience nor have I ever experienced a miscarriage. So I have no words of wisdom… just lots of cyber-hugs to send your way. I can’t imagine what you are going through but I just know you can make it through this! xoxoxoxoxo.

I don’t have any answers for your questions, I just wanted to say that I miscarried my first pregnancy in 2011 and it is so hard. I’m so sorry for your loss. [name_m]Just[/name_m] give yourself all the time you need to be sad and to mourn and to physically and emotionally heal. Cry it out when you need to, be alone when you need it. Spoil yourself any way you can. The only thing that really helps is time, unfortunately. And support from friends and family. All my hugs to you <3

Thank you, everyone! I didn’t mean to not respond. I just got busy!

It’s a little easier to deal with now that the bleeding completely stopped, but this nausea is getting to me. All the misery and nothing to look forward to. I just had another blood draw today so I’ll know tomorrow if it’s starting to come down yet.

@mamabaer I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this! [name_u]Truly[/name_u]. I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks in [name_f]September[/name_f] and it was devastating I wouldn’t wish that kind of pain on anyone.
It does get better though the pain is never fully gone, your heart heals.
I had no pregnancy symptoms with my MC, it was just like a heavy (heartbreaking) period for me. I hope your symptoms subside soon, talk about adding insult to injury!
Has your doctor talked about molar pregnancy to you? It’s really rare, but something to be aware of if your symptoms don’t go away.
My heart is with you and your family. Stay strong mama.