Mispronounced Names

I say [name_f]Elise[/name_f] and [name_f]Denise[/name_f] the same way as you. Also, I’ve literally done the same things you have with [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_m]Endymion[/name_m], [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], and [name_f]Elowen[/name_f].

4 Likes

Me too! I just automatically call her that! Like, rhyming with [name_f]Minerva[/name_f].

4 Likes

yes me too! and so did one of my best friends :crazy_face:

2 Likes

i also said [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] as CAH-leb rather than CAY-leb and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] as PEN-eh-loap, oops!
i’ve always said [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] Cah-lee-oh-PEE, is that wrong?
and also [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] i used to say NEE-am, but now i know that its Neeve :wink:

1 Like

Persephone - per-SEH-fohn (I think a ton of people did this as kids.)

Aoife - before I learned it was Irish and found the correct pronunciation: ay-OH-eef

Anaïs - uh-NAI-ees

2 Likes

I used to really love [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] until I heard someone say it aloud on YouTube as LYE-SAHN-DER and I realised I’d been saying it wrong the whole time. I thought it was LISS-ANDER. It broke my heart because I don’t actually like how the correct pronunciation sounds! :broken_heart:

1 Like

Me! [name_f]Elise[/name_f] and [name_f]Denise[/name_f] both rhyme with geese for me! (Oh and for extra credit, one of my best friends is called [name_f]Elise[/name_f] and she pronounces it that way too.)

2 Likes

Exactly! I thought the names rhymed!

1 Like

SAME!!! She eventually changed her name to [name_u]Emory[/name_u] as a trans.

Edit: For double extra credit, sheerly by coincidence, I just saw the variant Alise for the first time which is pronounced the same way - in addition to coincidentally seeing another Elyse (also pronounced the same way). I wasn’t even trying to search for variants of Elise, and I thought that was crazy to see them back-to-back completely out of context.

[name_m]Little[/name_m] me said “PURR-seh-phone” with an unnecessarily strong emphasis on the first syllable :joy:

2 Likes

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m]- See-mus, I read it this way in my head, while reading the the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] books.
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]- [name_m]Add[/name_m]-uh
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]- [name_u]Toby[/name_u]-is, Now this looks and sounds so wrong, but that’s how I thought it was pronounced :joy:
[name_f]Soleil[/name_f]- So-leel

1 Like

It’s definitely -eese!

1 Like

Oh this is another one! I did the same thing. I have come around to the correct pronunciation but I much prefer the liss- one. That’s the only one I would’ve considered using irl.

@floatinthesky @anon68906791 @sparkleninja18 As a Greek speaker, it’s definitely LEE-san-der, not LIE-san-der!! Maybe it’s different in [name_f]English[/name_f], but the original Greek pronunciation is with the lee sound. Ys in greek always sound like “ee”!

3 Likes

I didn’t know that! I love the Greek pronunciation of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

1 Like

What’s the Greek pronunciation of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]?

pee-neh-LAW-pee!

2 Likes

I did see-muss, too!

1 Like

I know [name_m]Quillan[/name_m] is pronounced Kill-an, but frankly, [name_u]Quill[/name_u]-an sounds better to me, so I’m just consciously wrong

1 Like

I was heart broken when I learned that [name_f]Aisling[/name_f] wasn’t pronounced the way it’s written.

I always pronounced it like ACE-ling and thought It was the cutest ever.

I also struggled with [name_u]Carlisle[/name_u] as a teen and thought it was pronounced like Car-LEESE-le. Haha oops.

A pet peeve of mine is when people don’t pronounce my middle name correctly. I find it gets butchered most in the UK. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is Noël and I hate when it’s pronounced like “knoll” the ë is there for a reason.