mixing virtues & non-virtues

[name]How[/name] do you berries feel about this? I love virtue names, and recently thought of one that would fill a problem I was having. But, how do you feel about siblings where one has a virtue name and the rest have “regular” names. Not, to reveal my actual choices, but let’s say that you had a son named [name]Curtis[/name]. And then you had another son named [name]Lucius[/name]. These both have a similar sound/ending.

1. Would you then be stuck HAVING to give your third boy another “-is” name?

2. If you were (or chose to) say you had to follow the pattern, would [name]Justice[/name] be a bad way to do it? Since the other two are just regular names, and [name]Justice[/name] is a word/virtue name?

I guess I really have two questions! Looking forward to hearing your answers!

No, I don’t think breaking the pattern is a problem, and yes, I think [name]Justice[/name] would be fine. One virtue name amidst normal names is actually quite nice, as it makes the virtue name seem more like an actual name. (For example, I know a sib-set of [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Haley[/name] and [name]Hope[/name], and I rarely think of [name]Hope[/name] being a virtue name.) However, if you were to do this, I think it would be important that the non-virtue names had positive meanings. That way, no one feels under-appreciated.

thanks for your answer, quirkflower! i guess both of these questions still kind of bother me, but it’s good to know that they wouldn’t bother everyone!

I hate to be greedy, but I am bumping this, because this is an issue really dear to my heart, and the last question I posted didn’t get any answers at all…

I’m not of the “if you have two with a certain kind of name you should continue the pattern just because” mentality. They’re your kids, name them what you want. You don’t want to be like the Duggers and have 19 kids with the same first letter simply because “What if this next child is the last and it’ll be left out for having a different type of name,” right? [name]Do[/name] I think it might sound slightly odd to hear a sibset called [name]Hope[/name], [name]Faith[/name], and [name]Jessica[/name]? Maybe, but if you don’t like any other virtue names more than you like the name [name]Jessica[/name], you shouldn’t force yourself to use one of them just so they match. Names don’t define us, we define our names.

[name]Alexis[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]!
As a lover of virtue names myself, I am really glad to see this topic posted!
No, I don’t think you would be stuck using the pattern. However, I would try to remain with the same style of name, just to avoid a name that sticks out oddly.
As for the one virtue name, I don’t think that causes a problem either. I love the mixture of virtue and non-virtue names that still flow together really well!
[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

Haley129

I don’t really think that mixing virtue names with non-virtue names is a problem. In any situation like this, you shouldn’t have to change a name because it doesn’t match your other kids. If you love the name, you should use it.
I have cousins who are named [name]Faith[/name] [name]April[/name], [name]Grace[/name] [name]May[/name], and [name]Hope[/name] [name]June[/name]. Those are extremely matchy, literal names. ([name]Faith[/name] was born in [name]April[/name], [name]Grace[/name] in [name]May[/name], and [name]Hope[/name] in [name]June[/name].) I think that’s okay for their family, but if you don’t want to do that, you don’t have to. Whatever names you love, you should pick.

I think virtue names mix well with Biblical names and to a certain extent possibly place names. I don’t think you’re locked into the “is/us” ending either.

I know your examples were hypothetical, but I think [name]Justice[/name] is a great name.