Monroe - Girl or Boy???

Hey Everyone!

My husband and I recently found out we are having TWINS (a girl and boy) . I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the name [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] for a girl but hubby thinks it’s to masculine for girl and is much more suitable for a boy :frowning: . We love the name but can’t decide if it will be perfect for our little girl or precious boy( we still have to find a name for the other twin).
Please Help ?!!?

I think boy.

I think a good strategy would be to look for other names you love as much as [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] first. If you find a girl name you love equally, use [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] for your son. If you find a name you love for a boy, use [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] for your daughter. That way, you can use your current favorite and hopefully end up with two names you love equally!

After watching The tv show Grimm, I much prefer [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] for a boy, but it could totally work for a girl too. I think it’s one of the few names that seems truly unisex imo.

I much prefer it on a girl because of [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] and also my female dog is called [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]. It could definitely work on either though.

I honestly didn’t know [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] was unisex, I always assumed it was a female name because of [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]
I do think it could work on a boy because of the -oe sound, but in my opinion it’s more suitable on a girl

I like it for either, but more for a girl! Especially like it as a middle name for a girl.

It makes me think of [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] so I’d say girl, but it can work for either gender.

I think this is what I would suggest also.

I think it works perfectly fine for either gender. What ever other name you pick could make it sound more or less masculine/feminine too.

I would be more inclined to think girl because of [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] too, but I think it would work just as well on a boy.

This is a great suggestion. One benefit of having girl/boy twins :wink: [name_f]Hope[/name_f] the rest of your pregnancy goes well!

[name_u]Monroe[/name_u] seems feminine to me because it makes me think of [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]. So I say use it for the girl.

I think it works well for either. I prefer it for a boy, though.

Either! I agree with the previous user who suggested finding another name you love just as much and then using [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] for the other sex.

i automatically think boy because of [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u], but i think it could work well on a girl too

I think it works really well for either, but I agree with @namenculture - keep looking at boy and girl names and if something really jumps out at you, use [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] for the other name.

I think in modern usage it’s trending girl because of [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] (([name_f]Mariah[/name_f] [name_u]Carey[/name_u] named her twin daughter [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] after [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f]; brother is Morroccan). I think if I read a book set before 1960 with a character named [name_u]Monroe[/name_u], I’d assume a boy because of [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]. Personally, without any context, I think it sounds like a boy name, so that’s what I would go for. I like the suggestion of finding your second name and thus figuring out who gets to be [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] by process of elimination. :slight_smile:

[name_u]Monroe[/name_u] works great for any gender, so I think the trick here is to start looking for other names you might love. Depending on what you find, it could help you make a desicion about which twin will be sweet little [name_u]Monroe[/name_u].

Bonus: if you fall in love with another name that can work for any gender, then you can wait until the twins arrive and give yourself a few days to decide who suits what name.

[name_u]Monroe[/name_u] doesn’t sound like a first name to me at all, no more so than van [name_m]Buren[/name_m] or [name_f]Bardot[/name_f] does, but I would prefer it on a boy. It sounds very harsh to me on a girl.

My daughter’s name is [name_u]Monroe[/name_u], so I obviously love it on a girl! She gets called [name_f]Roe[/name_f] often, which I think is spunky and fun! I would have used it on a boy too though, its one of those names that can really be used for either. Before I had my daughter I always said if I had boy/girl twins I would name them [name_u]Remington[/name_u] and [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] with the nicknames [name_u]Remy[/name_u] and [name_f]Roe[/name_f]! Good luck and Congrats on the babies!