Month Names

I have just been curious recently, about others opinions on month names.

Personally, I would find it awkward to meet someone named [name_u]August[/name_u], and find out that their birthday is in [name_u]January[/name_u], but that’s just my opinion. Although, I do know a girl called [name_f]April[/name_f], but I’m not aware of what month her birthday is in.

I really don’t care if someone named [name_f]May[/name_f] was born in [name_f]February[/name_f]. And I honestly think it shouldn’t be such a big deal.

Because if “month name and birth month should line up” was the norm it would mean I couldn’t name my son [name_u]August[/name_u] (which is a name I genuinely love) except for when I happen to give birth in august. That’s not fair at all.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that if someone loves a month name, they should not be bothered by the month they’re due in, imho.

I’ve met and heard of people with these month names:

[name_u]January[/name_u] “[name_f]Jani[/name_f]” - [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t care for it
[name_f]April[/name_f] - It’s ok
[name_f]May[/name_f] - I like it
[name_u]June[/name_u] - I really like it
[name_u]August[/name_u] - I love [name_u]August[/name_u] for a boy
[name_f]September[/name_f] - [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t like it at all

I wouldn’t assume any of them are born in that said month because they are named after it. My cousin just had a baby and named her [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]. She’s loved the name for quite a few years. If I ever use the name [name_u]August[/name_u] it would be to honor my father, who was born in the month of [name_u]August[/name_u]. I have an aunt [name_f]May[/name_f] who is named after my grandparents wedding anniversary month.

Month names for me signify meaningful dates or even seasons. I love the weather in spring months, it’s beautiful and uplifting after heavy winters. [name_f]April[/name_f] could signify happiness after hardship.

My favorite month names are [name_f]October[/name_f] and [name_u]November[/name_u].

I would use them only if my child is born in this month.

I actually prefer that the name doesn’t line up. My cousin is named [name_f]April[/name_f]. She was supposed to be born in [name_f]April[/name_f] but was a preemie born in [name_f]February[/name_f], so I think that’s kind of sweet.

My grandfather is called [name_u]August[/name_u] and born in [name_f]April[/name_f], that has never been weird. I wouldn’t care about in either way. Espescially [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], and [name_u]June[/name_u] are so established as firstnames that I wouldn’t even think of the month first when I met one.

I think it is actually weirder if their birthday is the same month as their name.
[name_f]October[/name_f] is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I love the sound of it for a little girl, but I’d never be brave enough to use it. (Not to mention I am done having babies.)

I don’t really “get” month names. Or day names, for that matter. They just feel like random abstract words, like naming your child [name_f]Silence[/name_f] or
Tomorrow or Fortnight - it’s a bit weird to me.

[name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_u]August[/name_u]: fine. I just see those as pretty traditional, long-established names, and the fact that they’re also the names of month feels kind of like a coincidence. I would never assume that someone called [name_f]May[/name_f] or [name_u]June[/name_u] must have been born in that month. In fact, as @vblanch said, I might find it a little cheesy if it turned out they were.

If I met an [name_f]October[/name_f] or a [name_u]November[/name_u], I’d probably be more inclined to ask if they were born in that month, since they’re so unusual as given names - I would assume there was some kind of special meaning behind the choice. But to be honest, unless it was a really sweet, special story, I’d probably still find it a little bit cheesy and odd.

I’m not sure what I think about this. On the one hand, my OCD would like it if [name_u]November[/name_u] was born in [name_u]November[/name_u]. However, I also think that’s kinda tacky too. I think well established name/months are fine ([name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], and [name_u]August[/name_u]). Anything else would seem a bit weird if the months didn’t line up. Personally I’d use [name_u]August[/name_u] regardless of what month he is born in.

I know a [name_f]September[/name_f] and she was born in that month. She also planned to call her second child [name_u]January[/name_u] (born this past [name_u]January[/name_u])I have bee out of touch so I don’t know the gender but wasn’t going to be a factor
Personally I don’t have a problem if they are not born in that month

Month names are an interesting choice.

I know a [name_f]September[/name_f] and she was born in that month. She also planned to call her second child [name_u]January[/name_u] (born this past [name_u]January[/name_u])I have bee out of touch so I don’t know the gender but wasn’t going to be a factor
Personally I don’t have a problem if they are not born in that month

Month names are an interesting choice.

I wouldn’t find it odd to meet a little boy named [name_u]August[/name_u] and find out he’s born in [name_u]March[/name_u], simply because [name_u]August[/name_u] is a very common name and I view it as a variation of [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] rather than just a month.
[name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_f]April[/name_f] are also common enough for me to seperate them from the words, they’re word and names rather than word-names.
[name_u]Juli[/name_u] (july) in [name_m]German[/name_m] is similar, it’s a variation and nn of [name_m]Julius[/name_m], [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_m]Julian[/name_m] to me rather than only being a month.

I’ve been thinking about this topic, too! I’m not really sure…I think that I wouldn’t find it too weird if a [name_f]September[/name_f] were born in [name_u]June[/name_u], or whatever, for example, or expect an [name_f]April[/name_f] to have been born in [name_f]April[/name_f]. I don’t expect a [name_f]Marie[/name_f] to be bitter or a [name_f]Italia[/name_f] to be born in [name_f]Italy[/name_f]! That being said, the only couple month names I don’t like are [name_f]April[/name_f] and [name_f]May[/name_f], but mostly because of negative associations in my own life. I also think that [name_f]February[/name_f] could be a bit hard to wear since some people don’t even say it right. I myself am particularly fond of [name_u]June[/name_u] for a future daughter, either as a first name or a middle name. It would signify a lot to us…my birthday and our marriage. I keep that in mind when I encounter a child with a month name, or when I encounter any name, honestly: it could have a significant meaning to the family of which I am unaware, so it doesn’t bug me much anymore!

I think it’s weirder when they ARE born in the month they are named after!

I love all of these…
[name_u]January[/name_u] (I like that this name could be a way of celebrating new beginnings)
[name_f]May[/name_f] (though I’d spell it [name_f]Mae[/name_f], and probably use it as a nn for [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], so I guess it wouldn’t really be a month name)
[name_u]June[/name_u] (I’d use the nn [name_f]Junie[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Junie[/name_f], but I’d probably use it for [name_u]Juniper[/name_u])
[name_u]August[/name_u] (with the nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u])
[name_f]October[/name_f]
[name_u]November[/name_u] (with the nn [name_f]Nova[/name_f])

[name_m]Gennaro[/name_m] is a common name in my family tree–[name_u]January[/name_u] or [name_m]Januarius[/name_m] in Italian–and I haven’t noticed anyone actually born in [name_u]January[/name_u]!

The only month names I care for are [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], and [name_u]August[/name_u]. I might find it strange if someone named [name_f]April[/name_f] was born in [name_u]December[/name_u], but perfetly fine if someone named [name_f]May[/name_f] was born in [name_u]June[/name_u]. It’s really not that big a deal whether their month name matches the month they were born in. No one finds it too strange when [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] is born in [name_u]July[/name_u] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is born in [name_u]November[/name_u], right?

I so rarely hear [name_u]March[/name_u] used, but I find it really sharp and charming. It was the month hubby and I were married, and it’s one we consider using as a middle name to honor that.