Month names

So I was wondering what month names you thought were usable or not and whether or not you could use the name if they’re not born in that month? Like someone being called May even if their born in June.

Also which month name is your favourite?

• January
  • February
  • March
  • April
  • May
  • June
  • July
  • August
  • September
  • October
  • November
  • December

0 voters

Tagging @Alix2016 and @RileyAddison13

1 Like

I think every month name is usable. And for me personally I much prefer the name to not match the month they were born. That makes it feel like the parents chose the name because they actually like it a lot and not just because they couldn’t think of a name and it was convenient. The month names I personally would consider are [name_u]January[/name_u], [name_u]September[/name_u], [name_u]October[/name_u], [name_u]November[/name_u], [name_u]December[/name_u]. But I voted for [name_u]November[/name_u] as my overall favorite because I think it had the cutest nickname options.

5 Likes

[name_u]January[/name_u] is my favourite! But I really like [name_u]July[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u] too, especially for a boy but also for a girl.

And I don’t know if it’s just the time of year, but I’m finally coming round to the idea of [name_u]October[/name_u], especially as a fun witchy middle :jack_o_lantern:

I don’t have strong opinions either way about whether the child should or shouldn’t be born in that month. I think it’s nice if there’s some connection — whether birth month or parents’ marriage date or some other event with personal significance — but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary.

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter’s middle name is [name_u]June[/name_u] and she wasn’t born in [name_u]June[/name_u]. If anything, I probably wouldn’t use my child’s birth month for their name. Apart from [name_u]June[/name_u], I like [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]July[/name_u] (as a middle name) and I love [name_u]August[/name_u], although I prefer it on boys.

2 Likes

I like [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]October[/name_u] and [name_f]May[/name_f] :slight_smile: i think they can be used in any month

1 Like

I love [name_u]January[/name_u], [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_u]July[/name_u], [name_u]October[/name_u] and [name_u]November[/name_u]! [name_u]March[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are also great, although I prefer them for boys. Using a month name for a child not born that month is totally fine – I’ve seen it many times :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think [name_u]March[/name_u], [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u] (maybe July) are all use able!

1 Like

For girls I see [name_u]January[/name_u], [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_u]June[/name_u] as being very usable

For boys: [name_u]August[/name_u]

Lately Nameberry has been making ones like [name_u]December[/name_u] and [name_u]October[/name_u] seem more commonplace in the forums.

I think the only one I’m really not feeling is [name_u]March[/name_u]. Not only is it a month but it’s a verb as well. I feel the child would hear the puns coming left and right.

The names [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_f]April[/name_f] are so classic and familiar I don’t necessarily think some jump straight to it being a month name and therefore think there’s some correlation in regards to when they were born. So I feel they could easily be used in any month. A [name_u]December[/name_u] in [name_u]July[/name_u] might get a few raised eyesbrows.

1 Like

I love [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_u]August[/name_u] and think that [name_u]January[/name_u] is spunky

1 Like

I’ve never cared for the “common” month names. Like [name_f]April[/name_f] or [name_u]June[/name_u]. [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are okay but not my favorites.
I really love [name_u]December[/name_u], [name_u]November[/name_u], and [name_u]October[/name_u], though. [name_u]October[/name_u] nn [name_u]Toby[/name_u] is adorable for a girl or a boy.

1 Like

Such a tough decision between [name_f]April[/name_f] & [name_u]June[/name_u]. They are such happy spunky names and I personally love both.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite girl name right now is actually [name_u]January[/name_u]! I also love [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_u]August[/name_u] (the “normal” ones), and [name_u]July[/name_u] and October…although I’m not sure I would name a child any of those except [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]January[/name_u].

1 Like

Ones I think are usable (for girls):

[name_u]January[/name_u]
[name_u]March[/name_u] (as a middle)
[name_f]April[/name_f]
[name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_u]December[/name_u]

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites:

[name_u]January[/name_u]
[name_f]April[/name_f]
[name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]

And I think they can be used in any month!

i think every month name is usable and gender-neutral! i don’t think it’s weird to name your child after a month they weren’t born in, especially with established month names such as [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], etc. i also think that names associated with other things (i.e. March) wouldn’t look weird outside of the month.

i love mostly all month names, and i right now i’m really crushing on [name_u]December[/name_u]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_u]June[/name_u] but I like [name_f]April[/name_f] and [name_f]May[/name_f] as well. [name_u]August[/name_u] is less my taste but still nice as a first name.

In the middle slot, I like [name_u]July[/name_u] (useable as a first but I think the second-syllable stress makes it better as a middle), [name_u]October[/name_u] and [name_u]December[/name_u].

The rest I’m not a fan of because I don’t like the way the word sounds and I don’t like the weather in those months! :joy:

I don’t think you have to be born in a certain month to have that name! I have a cousin born in January whose middle name is August. :woman_shrugging:t2: Still cute! Also month names can be great ways to honor loved ones… for example my sister is born in May and I adore that as a name, so it also works as a great way to honor her!

Realistically, I would happily use [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], or [name_u]August[/name_u] as firsts (the latter probably for a boy, or a middle for a girl!). I also love [name_u]March[/name_u], [name_f]April[/name_f] and [name_u]July[/name_u] as middles, and I think [name_u]January[/name_u], [name_u]September[/name_u], [name_u]October[/name_u], [name_u]November[/name_u], and [name_u]December[/name_u] would make super cool middles for other people (just not as much my style). The only one I can’t really see as a name is [name_u]February[/name_u], although I don’t have any particular reasoning behind that!

I prefer the more popular [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u]