Morag

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]!
What do you think of [name_f]Morag[/name_f]?
I think it’s really pretty but I’m not sure of it would be appropriate on a non Scottish girl.
What do you think?
Thanks,
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] xx

It sounds rather harsh. I like [name_f]Morgane[/name_f], though.

I love this name but obviously I love scottish names w/ daughters Mhairi and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. I tried [name_f]Morag[/name_f] on my husband but he thought it was totally hideous

[name_m]How[/name_m] do you say it? I’m saying it more-[name_f]AG[/name_f], which isn’t appealing, but I can’t remember off the top of my head if this is the correct Scottish pronunciation.

I’ve always liked this name. It’s the name of the main character in [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u]'s The Diviners, and my main memory of the book is how intrigued I was by the name. I think it would be fine on a non-Scottish girl, but I would expect the surname to be at least of British Isles origin. [name_f]Morag[/name_f] [name_u]Garcia[/name_u] or [name_f]Morag[/name_f] Kowalski doesn’t sound right to me.

It’s pronounced like MORE-ayg (trying to indicate a long a and a hard g). I used to know someone from [name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] with a sister [name_f]Morag[/name_f]. It’s a common enough name there, but other than The Diviners I’ve never come across it elsewhere.