More on James...

Definitely not having a boy, but our top choice for a future son is [name]James[/name] (my dad’s name). HOWEVER. I hate [name]Jim[/name] as a nn. Hate it. I know the world has a way of choosing nicknames in spite of the parents’ best intentions, but is there anyway way I could insist on [name]James[/name]??? The only nickname I could bear is [name]Jaime[/name]. Thoughts on nicknames?

It’s funny, I know [name]Jim[/name]/[name]Jimmy[/name] is a nickname for [name]James[/name], but for some reason when I see the name [name]James[/name] it doesn’t occur to me. I almost think of them as completely separate names. [name]James[/name]’ tend to be [name]James[/name]’ and [name]Jim[/name]'s tend to be [name]Jim[/name]'s. Of course, your son could grow up and choose to be a [name]Jim[/name], but as long as he’s little and you’re the one introducing him, I don’t see people making the presumptuous leap of calling him [name]Jim[/name] after you told them his name was [name]James[/name] in quite the same way that people are likely to call a [name]Christopher[/name], [name]Chris[/name]. [name]James[/name] is short enough as it is, and [name]Jim[/name] is a completely different sound, so it’s not really “short for” [name]James[/name]. And if people do call him [name]Jim[/name], you could always correct them.

I really love [name]James[/name], and for what it’s worth, I know of one baby [name]James[/name] who is only called [name]James[/name], as well as two other boys named [name]James[/name] (elementary school ages) who also go by [name]James[/name]. If you call him [name]James[/name], from what I’ve seen, others will do the same. (I also know of two boys named [name]Charles[/name] who are only [name]Charles[/name]…)

Aside from [name]Jamie[/name], [name]Jem[/name] is another nickname that comes to mind.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

You could insist when your son starts school that his name is not [name]Jim[/name] or [name]Jay[/name] or the nm, I have a reletive called [name]William[/name] and he has the same problem with [name]Will[/name] and [name]Liam[/name]. [name]James[/name] is a beautiful name