Morgan for a boy

The thread about [name]Madison[/name] got me thinking about one of my favorite boy names: [name]Morgan[/name]. Part of me wants to say “I don’t care that it’s a girls’ name too,” but in reality, I do care. I have known Morgans of both sexes, and not many of either, but I prefer it on a boy.

What are your general thoughts on [name]Morgan[/name] as a boy/man’s name?

If it matters, I checked my states popularity listing. It is in the top 100 for girls, at a higher ranking than the overall U.S. ranking, but it has been steadily falling for girls year by year.

I really like [name]Morgan[/name] for a boy, but I would never use it. Once it goes to the girls, I just find it a bit cruel to the little boy going around with a girl’s name.

There may be a bit of an established skew for [name]Morgan[/name] being a girl’s name, but I’d like to think it’s not so “set-in-stone” established that it becomes the next [name]Marian[/name]/[name]Marion[/name] or something like that. [name]Morgan[/name] [name]Freeman[/name] seems to be doing alright with it.

[name]Morgan[/name] [name]Freeman[/name] definitely helps. It’s also nowhere near as popular as [name]Madison[/name]. I have known two Morgans, one was male, one was female. I’d be inclined to think it’s doable - a very masculine middle might be a good idea.

I have never known or even met a [name]Morgan[/name]…if I saw this name without having met the person, I would assume it could belong to either gender. That being said, I also prefer it for a boy. I find it to be a handsome name and agree with the [name]Morgan[/name] [name]Freeman[/name] association comments above.

I’ve never met a [name]Morgan[/name] in real life, but I always think of [name]Morgan[/name] from Boy Meets World. To me it feels more girly because of that.

However [name]Morgan[/name] is a breed of horse and in a book I read, it was the boy’s name (he was named after the horse, he worked on a ranch)… so I think it could work.

My first thought was [name]Morgan[/name] from the tv show [name]Chuck[/name] (a male character). I’ve never met one in real life, but I MUCH prefer this name on a boy, and I absolutely think it is still very usable on a boy. [name]Madison[/name], to me, seems totally different and very girly.

I hardly ever hear [name]Morgan[/name] discussed for girls these days. While it still has a strong feminine presence, I feel like it’s starting to go back to the boys (much like [name]Rory[/name] feels like, to me). If you love it, I would use it! I used to adore [name]Morgan[/name] on a boy, but then I discovered [name]Morgan[/name] Grimes (of [name]Chuck[/name]). He sort of ruined it for me, lol.

I’m far from having kids of my own, but if I had a son right now I would name him [name]Morgan[/name]. I went to school with several female Morgans and no male Morgans that I can recall, but I’m not bothered by that. I’ve briefly met a few male Morgans who seem to wear it well. I’d use it in a heartbeat, so obviously I think it’s usable. :slight_smile:

I would love to use [name]Morgan[/name] for a boy but my husbands is “Stuck seeing it as a girl’s name” and just can’t get passed it. Plus we know a teenage girl [name]Morgan[/name], so it would be a little weird. But she is the only one with the name I’ve met. I have a good association with it for a male name from a show I used to watch when I was a teenager, Road to Avonlea. His name was [name]Morgan[/name] Pettibone, sister Izzolda and brother [name]Arthur[/name]. I’d like to put it in my [name]Avery[/name] combo.

I think it’s still one of those names that can be used for either gender. There’s enough male Morgans around (esp. [name]Morgan[/name] [name]Freeman[/name]), that I don’t think people will think it’s too ‘girly’.

I think it’s still one of those names that can be used for either gender. There’s enough male Morgans around (esp. [name]Morgan[/name] [name]Freeman[/name]), that I don’t think people will think it’s too ‘girly’. It also seems like it might start cycling back around to the boys’ side, like [name]Jordan[/name] did.

I personally wouldn’t but I wouldn’t for a girl either./

I live in [name]Wales[/name] and [name]Morgan[/name] is an old Welsh family name nearly always used for boys. I’ve never met a female [name]Morgan[/name] but it just feels more masculine to me. Suppose it depends on what you are used to .

I really appreciate the responses: positive, negative, both, and in between. Thanks berries!