Moriah

Thoughts on [name_f]Moriah[/name_f] on a boy?

I know it’s usually used on girls, but I figured with the popularity of -iah names for boys and the usage of boys names on girls, I could work!

What do you think? Maybe too close to [name_f]Mariah[/name_f]?

Since it’s a place name, I guess it could work. I’ve always generally seen place names and surnames as unisex. However, it might be mispelled as [name_f]Mariah[/name_f] a lot.

If you wanted to get the same sound and Biblical connotation but not get it confused with [name_f]Moriah[/name_f], how about [name_m]Mordecai[/name_m]?

[name_m]Till[/name_m] now, I actually thought [name_f]Moriah[/name_f] was a boy name.
I think it’s pretty different from [name_f]Mariah[/name_f], which is obviously a female name.
[name_f]Moriah[/name_f] would work fine with a boy, just go for it

I’ve never considered [name_f]Moriah[/name_f] on a boy, honestly. I think a lot of people would mistake it for [name_f]Mariah[/name_f].

I can see it work.

I can see it working

To be honest, when I read the heading of your post I thought that you had mistakenly put it in the boy’s section by mistake, and were spelling [name_f]Moira[/name_f] or [name_f]Mariah[/name_f] in a different way. I would save it for a girl. I don’t see any point in giving your son a name that he is likely to be teased for, or assumed that he is a female on job/college applications, etc.

I know a boy named Ramiah. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like that?

My first instinct is to pronounce it [name_u]Mo[/name_u]-[name_f]Ree[/name_f]-[name_m]Ah[/name_m] with an emphasis on the second syllable as it is pronounced in hebrew. In that case, I see it more as a girls names as the only Moriahs I know are girls and it sounds similar to [name_f]Maria[/name_f].

I definitely wouldn’t use it on a boy. Not only would it be mistaken for [name_f]Mariah[/name_f], but [name_f]Moriah[/name_f] itself is considered a girl name. If you wanted to use it as a middle I think it would be ok, but I wouldn’t use it as a first.

I see your reasoning, but I would keep it as middle name material.

I think it would be cruel.

I think that’s a bit harsh.

I worked with a woman named [name_f]Moriah[/name_f] for a few years, so for me it would be a tad weird to see a man named [name_f]Moriah[/name_f]…