Morpheus & Dream 🌙

Currently watching The Sandman on Netflix, and I’m most intrigued by the names [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] and [name_u]Dream[/name_u] (for a boy). Mostly for middles!

[name_m]Morpheus[/name_m], as I read, is the god of dreams & sleep. (I personally think the name fits right in my UC as a middle). What do you think of this name? Would you prefer [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m] instead? What are some combos you can think of with [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]?

How about [name_u]Dream[/name_u] for a boy? Is it usable or is it more of a girls name?

Thank you for your insights! :crescent_moon:

1 Like

Cool names!

While I think [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] is too much as a first, it could be a lovely middle! I prefer [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m] overall, I prefer the sound and I like the nickname [name_u]Ori[/name_u], but as a middle [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] could give a cool vibe to a combo.

I also think [name_u]Dream[/name_u] is quite fun! It’s pretty unisex to me, doesn’t lean male or female. I love these “weird” word names personally so I think it’s a super interesting choice, both as a first and middle.

I haven’t started watching it yet but I’m so excited to! I’m a huge fan of the comics.

[name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] is a bit much for a first name I think - what bothers me is the link to morphine - so [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m] feels a bit more wearable, but as a middle it’s fun. [name_u]Dream[/name_u] would make a really cute middle too… and maybe even Sandman, or am I losing it? Sandman nickname Sandy… :sweat_smile:

[name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] gives me more [name_u]Matrix[/name_u] vibes than anything. I agree that I think it’s too much as a first name but could definitely make a fun and out-there middle! I don’t know which I like more out of [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] and [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m], I think I lean slightly towards [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] just because the [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m] myth is so sad and I don’t particularly like the name aesthetically (written down). But imagining it in cursive does help.

For [name_u]Dream[/name_u] I don’t massively like it for any gender, but I do quite like [name_u]Dreamer[/name_u] as a unisex middle. It leans a little more feminine for me, but I could see it working regardless of gender.

1 Like

Morpheus is intriguing - bold with a cool meaning. I do slightly prefer Orpheus I think, mainly because Morpheus reminds me a bit of morphine.

Dream is mystical and gentle - I quite like it.

I do think both of these fit on your list for middles!

[name_u]Sylvester[/name_u] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
[name_u]Hale[/name_u] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
[name_u]Judah[/name_u] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
[name_m]Vinicio[/name_m] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
[name_m]Hendrick[/name_m] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
[name_m]Lazar[/name_m] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] / [name_m]Lazaro[/name_m] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
[name_m]Valentijn[/name_m] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
[name_m]Adriel[/name_m] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
[name_u]Jacoby[/name_u] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
Alastor [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]
[name_m]Alabaster[/name_m] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]

@emmievis Thank you for your insight! I just checked the page for [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m] and I love how it means ‘darkness of the night.’ I love that and it makes me consider [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m] now! I also agree on the word names. I think they’re very cool.

@Luminen The show’s pretty great so far! Only halfway through at the moment. :blush: I’ve never thought about the name sounding like morphine before. So thank you! (And Sandman might be a bit too… superhero-ey? But with [name_u]Sandy[/name_u] as a nickname, hmm… :thinking:) Thanks for your insights!

@Maerad Oh, I’ve never thought about the [name_u]Matrix[/name_u] association but it definitely tracks! And I do agree, I like how [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] is written more than [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m]. And [name_u]Dreamer[/name_u] is pretty cool and unique. Thank you so much!

@Greyblue I agree with [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] being bold, intriguing, and cool! I like the mythological roots, most of all. Thank you for your insights!

@Oblivious_octopus Fantastic combos! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites have to be Alastor [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] and [name_u]Judah[/name_u] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m]. I’d totally be down with [name_u]Hale[/name_u] [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] if it didn’t sound like ‘Hail, Morpheus,’ and considering the mythological god connection. [name_u]Hale[/name_u] is such a cool, badass name. Thanks so much for these!

3 Likes

I think [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] is a bit much even for a middle, but I quite like [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m] with its mythology ties and [name_u]Dream[/name_u] in the middle spot.

The guy who invented morphine named it after [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] (since he’s a god of sleep and morphine makes you sleepy) - way to mess with its baby name potential, Herr Sertürner. :weary:

i love dream as a mn for a boy! :pleading_face:

[name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] is a bit grand and dark, even for me :wink: It also reminds me of morphine (which is named after Morpheus). I very much prefer [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m].

[name_u]Dream[/name_u] is kind of cute as a middle name. It feels gender neutral to me, so it I think it would work on a boy. I’d definitely keep it in the middle name spot though.

@emarias22 Thank you for your insight! I do agree with [name_u]Dream[/name_u] being great as a middle name. Also beginning to consider [name_m]Orpheus[/name_m] now! It has a great meaning behind the name. :blush:

@Luminen Oh! That’s the first time I’ve been made aware of that. Thank you so much, again. It’s rather unfortunate since [name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] is a beautiful name. :frowning:

@vida I agree! It’s such a soft name (which I quite like for boys). Thinking of [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] [name_u]Dream[/name_u], [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_u]Dream[/name_u], and maybe even [name_u]Orion[/name_u] [name_u]Dream[/name_u]! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Rosebeth Yes, I’ve been made aware in this thread of that unfortunate association. (These NB threads are very insightful and educational!) And definitely keeping [name_u]Dream[/name_u] as a middle name. Thank you so much for your insight! :heart:

2 Likes

lucien dream, orion dream & cassius dream are all wonderful! :star_struck:

1 Like

[name_m]Morpheus[/name_m] would sound a bit silly to me as a first name, since I’m from [name_u]New[/name_u] Orleans and it’s the name of a [name_f]Mardi[/name_f] Gras parade. But as a middle name it’s pretty cool and rad.

I am not a fan of [name_u]Dream[/name_u] at all. It reminds me of the trendy word names right now like [name_u]Journey[/name_u], [name_u]Saint[/name_u], [name_m]King[/name_m], [name_u]Royal[/name_u], etc.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of either name honestly. I think both would be hard to wear IRL.