Moses?

What do you guys think of the name [name_m]Moses[/name_m]? I’m an [name_u]Egypt[/name_u]-lover and really want to name my kids after this amazing country and it’s history. I’m not religious or anything, but I have always loved the story of [name_m]Moses[/name_m] (ever since I was a little girl) and the meaning is gorgeous as well, especially since I live by the sea.

[name_m]Moses[/name_m]’ twin sister will probably be named [name_f]Isis[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f].

I think [name_m]Moses[/name_m] would work well as a middle name, but not as a first name. And I don’t think [name_f]Isis[/name_f] is really a usable name anymore, not with what’s going on in the world

Funny, I didnt even think of [name_f]ISIS[/name_f] when I read the name [name_f]Isis[/name_f]. I was thinking [name_m]Moses[/name_m] and [name_f]Isis[/name_f] go nicely together—I like your style egypt----good luck

b.u.m.p. for [name_m]Moses[/name_m]

I also love the story of [name_m]Moses[/name_m] and biblical names. I feel like it has all the criteria of a name I should like but, I don’t for some reason. Interested to read responses to this name.

[name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] Paltrow’s son is named [name_m]Moses[/name_m], and I just stumbled across a blog by another woman with a young son named [name_m]Moses[/name_m]. Versions of this name have long been used in Jewish communities (the Hebrew version [name_m]Moshe[/name_m], for example). I think it has a lovely sound. The ties to the Old Testament story are so strong with this name that I think you’d have to find the story/namesake meaningful to go ahead with it–but it seems like that is the case for you, even if it’s not for strictly religious reasons. It’s open to the adorable nickname of Momo, too.

Personally, I’m not that fond of [name_m]Moses[/name_m], but I think it’s a very usable name. I like the history behind it, and I think [name_u]Mo[/name_u] could be a cute nickname. I have to say though, I’m really loving [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Cairo[/name_u]/[name_u]Cairo[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] for you :slight_smile: I also love [name_m]Bastian[/name_m]!

I have changed my mind on [name_u]James[/name_u] as a first or middle name because my entire family is Hispanic and I hate the Spanish version of [name_u]Jaime[/name_u] ([name_m]Hi[/name_m]-mih). I’m leaning more towards [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] [name_u]Nile[/name_u] at the moment, but I’ll decide when I meet my son I guess…

I really like [name_m]Moses[/name_m]. My mother is Jewish and [name_m]Moses[/name_m]/[name_m]Moshe[/name_m] features in her family tree, I honestly think [name_m]Moses[/name_m] is a great choice very handsome with a lovely fashionable sound. I think [name_m]Moses[/name_m] defiantly works. But I would team [name_m]Moses[/name_m] with a name that is quieter and maybe more of a stable classic. Something like [name_m]Moses[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] or [name_m]Moses[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] that would be a terrific combination. Regarding [name_f]Isis[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] the name itself is really lovely and elegant. [name_f]Isis[/name_f] works with [name_m]Moses[/name_m] for sure. However interestingly [name_f]Isis[/name_f] maybe quiet a challenging choice to use due to the worldwide connotations of the Islamic terrorist group so maybe I’d stay clear of that one potentially…

I love [name_m]Moses[/name_m]! It has history and a little modern flair. I would highly encourage changing the girls name. I cringe when I see [name_f]Isis[/name_f] now. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] would be lovely. A few more suggestions:

[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]

@[name_u]Egypt[/name_u]: I didn’t realize you were Hispanic. Are you planning on pronouncing [name_f]Isis[/name_f] “eye-sis” or “ee-sis”? If it’s the latter, I think you could get away with using [name_f]Isis[/name_f]. I guess it depends on where you live, though (probably not so good if you are in the US/UK).

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like the Spanish pronounciation of [name_u]James[/name_u] (hahm-ez)? That could be an alternative to [name_u]Jaime[/name_u], but I understand if you’re not fond of that pronounciation. I would go for [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] [name_u]Cairo[/name_u] or [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] [name_m]Moses[/name_m] :slight_smile:

I guess I should have mentioned being Hispanic before. I don’t live in the US or [name_f]England[/name_f], but visit the States often for work. I lived there during my teen years and college… Whether I like it or not it’s a big part of my life and I have many American relations and friends.

I love the pronunciation Eye-sis, but at home I’d be pronouncing it EE-Zees, in Spanish it has an accent on the first I. ”sis. My parents have vetoed [name_m]Moses[/name_m] because they think that if I were to use it, I should use the Spanish variation which is Moisés… I don’t like that, which is why I’m leaning more on [name_m]Bastian[/name_m]. I’m starting to seriously consider [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] though.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Moses[/name_m]–it’s classic!

I love [name_m]Moses[/name_m], but have decided on [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] [name_m]Nilo[/name_m] (Nee-loh)