Most popular girls/boys names in England 2009

The top ten most popular names in [name]England[/name] have been released by the [name]Daily[/name] Mail today.
I don’t think this has already been posted, apologies if it has!

Boys

1. [name]JACK[/name]
  2. [name]OLIVER[/name]
  3. [name]CHARLIE[/name]
  4. [name]HARRY[/name]
  5. [name]ALFIE[/name]
  6. [name]THOMAS[/name]
  7. [name]JOSHUA[/name]
  8. [name]WILLIAM[/name]
  9. [name]JAMES[/name]
  10. [name]DANIEL[/name]

Girls

1. [name]OLIVIA[/name]
  2. [name]RUBY[/name]
  3. [name]SOPHIE[/name]
  4. [name]CHLOE[/name]
  5. [name]EMILY[/name]
  6. [name]GRACE[/name]
  7. [name]JESSICA[/name]
  8. [name]LILY[/name]
  9. [name]AMELIA[/name]
  10. [name]EVIE[/name]

More about the baby name trends this year:

Thanks for sharing! Surprising that [name]Jessica[/name] is still up there, as the US seems to be over it already, and the UK is usually ahead of the US iin terms of naming trends.

I’m always glad when none of my ultimate favourites are up there.
Im a little surprised at [name]Evie[/name] though. I like that name although I’d use a longer version with [name]Evie[/name] as a nn because on it’s own it’s fine for a 5 year old but sounds a little childish for an adult.

Thanks so much for posting this, [name]Pollyanna[/name]! :slight_smile:

I love reading about name popularity in other countries…

Take care! :slight_smile:

I love these names…such good taste!

Thanks for posting this! :slight_smile:

I would have to say that my absolute favourites out of those are [name]Oliver[/name] for boys and [name]Chloe[/name] for girls. I like all the names there though, except for [name]Jessica[/name]. I’m a little surprised at that one–anyone have any theories as to why it’s so popular?
I am a bit sick of [name]Jack[/name], [name]Alfie[/name], [name]Grace[/name], and [name]Emily[/name] at this point. I wonder where [name]Emily[/name] will rank this year in the US (I can’t believe we have to wait until [name]May[/name]!..)

Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

Although, as soon as I saw “[name]Faye[/name] [name]Mingo[/name], spokeswoman for bounty.com said” I immediately became suspicious given the fiasco we had with their “name stats” last year (no [name]Mohammed[/name]!!! Yeah, OK, we’ll believe that your stats are accurate…)

Hopefully the ONS will be releasing the official ones again this year crosses fingers :slight_smile:

My theory is that [name]Jessica[/name] is our equivalent to [name]Ashley[/name] in the US. Huge in the 80s, and has stayed almost just as popular for no other apparent reason than parents just seem to like it.

Plus, we were a little late on the [name]Jessica[/name] trend.
[name]Jessica[/name] entered the top 10 in the US in 1976 and stayed in the top 10 until 2000 = 25 years

[name]Jessica[/name] didn’t reach the top 10 in [name]England[/name] until 1991 so we still have 6 more years left :wink:

I am moving this post to a different area:

My theory is that [name]Jessica[/name] is our equivalent to [name]Ashley[/name] in the US. Huge in the 80s, and has stayed almost just as popular for no other apparent reason than parents just seem to like it.

Plus, we were a little late on the [name]Jessica[/name] trend.
[name]Jessica[/name] entered the top 10 in the US in 1976 and stayed in the top 10 until 2000 = 25 years

[name]Jessica[/name] didn’t reach the top 10 in [name]England[/name] until 1991 so we still have 6 more years left ;)[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation, [name]Elea[/name]! :slight_smile:

I always think it’s interesting to see how popular names are within areas, not just countries. So here are my interpretations of how popular these names are … (I’m in [name]London[/name])

Boys

1. [name]JACK[/name] - definitely.
  2. [name]OLIVER[/name] - yes, there are quite a few now.
  3. [name]CHARLIE[/name] - I’ve never met (knowingly) a just [name]Charlie[/name]. There are heaps and heaps of Charleses, though.
  4. [name]HARRY[/name] - quite a few … not as many as no. 4, I wouldn’t have thought.
  5. [name]ALFIE[/name] - really? I’ve only met a handful, and until last [name]July[/name] I worked as a teacher. I love this one, though :slight_smile:
  6. [name]THOMAS[/name] - yes.
  7. [name]JOSHUA[/name] - quite a few, but I wouldn’t have predicted it’d be here.
  8. [name]WILLIAM[/name] - a handful … this one seems to be getting less popular.
  9. [name]JAMES[/name] - millions of them!
  10. [name]DANIEL[/name] - hmm … a name I never notice. But yes, I do know a lot of them.

I’m surprised there’s no : [name]Alexander[/name]. [name]Lucas[/name] looks set to get popular, too.

Girls

1. [name]OLIVIA[/name] - millions of them!
  2. [name]RUBY[/name] - I’ve only ever met two.
  3. [name]SOPHIE[/name] - again, millions of them.
  4. [name]CHLOE[/name] - I never notice this one … thinking about it, off the top of my head I can remember ten, so it probably is popular.
  5. [name]EMILY[/name] - I’ve met more Emmas and Emilias, recently …
  6. [name]GRACE[/name] - quite a few, yes. Still more popular as a mn, though.
  7. [name]JESSICA[/name] - really? I haven’t met any under five in a couple of years.
  8. [name]LILY[/name] - quite a few, and definitely set to rise further; it seems to be on the list of almost every expectant mother I know!
  9. [name]AMELIA[/name] - a handful of them. Recently, [name]Emilia[/name] seems to be getting more popular.
  10. [name]EVIE[/name] - quite a few, and a lot more Evelyns and Evas.

I’m surprised there’s no : [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Emma[/name] (not as popular as in the US, in my opinion, but still definitely there).

On a sadder note, I heard a mother shout “Come here, [name]Jayden[/name]!” in the supermarket today :frowning:

I’m going to do what twinkle did (good idea!) because I’m a brit and I found it really interesting :slight_smile:

1. [name]JACK[/name] - ha I’ve never actually met a [name]Jack[/name]
  2. [name]OLIVER[/name] - yes loads.
  3. [name]CHARLIE[/name] - I know so many Charlies.
  4. [name]HARRY[/name] - quite a few
  5. [name]ALFIE[/name] - I know quite a lot of little Alfies
  6. [name]THOMAS[/name] - yes definietly.
  7. [name]JOSHUA[/name] - I’ve only known one [name]Joshua[/name].
  8. [name]WILLIAM[/name] - I’ve only known a [name]Liam[/name] but I’ve heard of lots of [name]Williams[/name].
  9. [name]JAMES[/name] - so so many!
  10. [name]DANIEL[/name] - less than there used to be but still quite a lot

I’m also surprised of no [name]Alexander[/name] and also no [name]George[/name], I know so many [name]Georges[/name]!

Girls

1. [name]OLIVIA[/name] - Quite a few
  2. [name]RUBY[/name] - Loads.
  3. [name]SOPHIE[/name] - tons of sophies! Which is sad because I adore the name.
  4. [name]CHLOE[/name] - I have met quiet a lot of Chloes.
  5. [name]EMILY[/name] - Yes lots of Emilys.
  6. [name]GRACE[/name] - Millions of little Graces
  7. [name]JESSICA[/name] - I’ve never met a [name]Jessica[/name] but I’m sorry to say, I’m a secret [name]Jessica[/name] lover!
  8. [name]LILY[/name] - quite a few little Lilys
  9. [name]AMELIA[/name] - I’ve only met two baby Amelias and no-one older
  10. [name]EVIE[/name] - I’ve known quite a few Evies and an [name]Evelyn[/name].

I’m really shocked [name]Emma[/name]'s not up there, In my school year alone there are seven Emmas! I also know lots of Ellies/Eleanors.

:slight_smile:

Ooo, fun idea Twinkle. I’m in the Midlands. I’m also a teacher who has worked supply in a lot of different schools so I guess I have a bit of an unfair advantage here.

1. [name]JACK[/name] – millions and millions. There is hardly a class I’ve taught that didn’t have at least 1 [name]Jack[/name] in it.

2. [name]OLIVER[/name] – You can see how this name has totally burst up to the top. There are very few Olivers in the older years of school but loads coming into the nurseries / reception classes. Our tiny reception class has 2.

3. [name]CHARLIE[/name] – I have taught quite a few Charlies. Most of them not [name]Charles[/name]. There seems to be a class divide. I have personally found that the little [name]Charles[/name] nn Charlies are from middle / upper class backgrounds and the “just Charlies” are more working class. Which is is an interesting indication of social trends, especially considering the upper class started the nickname trend about ten years ago, it has filtered down to the masses where it is HUGE, and now the middle / upper class are going for more “formal names with nicknames”.

4. [name]HARRY[/name] – Tons of [name]Harrys[/name]. Like [name]Jack[/name] there is pretty much one in every class as you go up through the school. Not quite so many new little ones coming into the nurseries though, so maybe it’s popularity is slackening slightly.

5. [name]ALFIE[/name] – sigh Yes there I quite a few. shakes fists at Eastenders for making it so darn popular

6. [name]THOMAS[/name] – Not so many as I keep thinking. I guess I always expect it to be there and overlook it when it isn’t. Same goes for [name]William[/name] & [name]James[/name].

7. [name]JOSHUA[/name] – I have 2 in my class in my tiny school. So yeah…popular.

8. [name]WILLIAM[/name] – see [name]Thomas[/name]

9. [name]JAMES[/name] – see [name]Thomas[/name]

10. [name]DANIEL[/name] – I have met the odd little [name]Daniel[/name]. They pop up every now and then and seem just as prevalent in the youngest years as they do in the older.

Girls

1. [name]OLIVIA[/name] – like [name]Jack[/name], pretty much at least one in each class I’ve taught in.

2. [name]RUBY[/name] – Like [name]Oliver[/name], you can see its meteoric rise in schools because there are very few in the older years, and loads in the younger classes. Sometimes 2 or 3 in a class.

3. [name]SOPHIE[/name] – Ditto [name]Olivia[/name]. I’d actually say I know more little Sophies, but this is probably because when they were born 4-10 years ago, [name]Sophie[/name] was the more popular.

4. [name]CHLOE[/name] – I know a lot of 8-12ish year old Chloes born in the years when [name]Chloe[/name] reigned at #1. But not so many little ones.

5. [name]EMILY[/name] – As with [name]Chloe[/name], I’ve seen it more in the older years.

6. [name]GRACE[/name] – I have met a few but I’ve never seen it in multiples within a class.

7. [name]JESSICA[/name] – Thinking about it, its actually more popular than I keep thinking. I suppose because [name]Jessica[/name] has been in the top 10 for so long, you tend to get a lone [name]Jessica[/name] popping up in all the year groups. Not so popular that I have seen multiples in a class.

8. [name]LILY[/name] – ditto [name]Grace[/name]

9. [name]AMELIA[/name] – ditto [name]Grace[/name]

10. [name]EVIE[/name] – yes, I definitely see lots of little ones. 2 kids (they are 6-7) in my class alone have little sisters called [name]Evie[/name].

Twinkle & [name]Elena[/name], I would say that for most parents here, [name]Emma[/name] has lost its bloom. It got into the top 5 in the early 70s and stayed there until the early 90s. I think a lot of new parents know Emmas their own age so it’s considered along with [name]Nicola[/name], [name]Lisa[/name] & [name]Helen[/name] – a bit dated.

In my own little class (Year 2) I have a [name]Jack[/name], 2 Joshuas, [name]James[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], 2 Sophies, [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Jessica[/name]

Yes, I think I agree about [name]Emma[/name], actually … thinking about it, the last school year I taught was year 6 (10-11) last year, and in the two classes in the year there were four Emmas, but in the whole nursery/reception group (3-5), there was only one that I can remember. Lots of little Emilias, though!

Boys

1. [name]JACK[/name]
  2. [name]OLIVER[/name]
  3. [name]CHARLIE[/name]
  4. [name]HARRY[/name]
  5. [name]ALFIE[/name]
  6. [name]THOMAS[/name]
  7. [name]JOSHUA[/name]
  8. [name]WILLIAM[/name]
  9. [name]JAMES[/name]
  10. [name]DANIEL[/name]

Girls

1. [name]OLIVIA[/name]
  2. [name]RUBY[/name]
  3. [name]SOPHIE[/name]
  4. [name]CHLOE[/name]
  5. [name]EMILY[/name]
  6. [name]GRACE[/name]
  7. [name]JESSICA[/name]
  8. [name]LILY[/name]
  9. [name]AMELIA[/name]
  10. [name]EVIE[/name]

I’m glad to see only a few of my favourite names are in the Top 10.

It wouldn’t stop me from naming my child any of the names I like though, if they were in the Top 10.

I’m another [name]Brit[/name] so I thought I would have a go too! I live in the South of [name]England[/name], a couple of hours from [name]London[/name] (generally v conservative when it comes to names and also about 99% Caucasian).
I have three children (aged nearly 1 to 7 years)

1. [name]JACK[/name] - a few, not as many as might expect
  2. [name]OLIVER[/name]- v popular here!
  3. [name]CHARLIE[/name]- again v popular here!
  4. [name]HARRY[/name]- v popular!
  5. [name]ALFIE[/name] - v popular also!
  6. [name]THOMAS[/name]- masses of them (still like the name though)
  7. [name]JOSHUA[/name] - v popular!
  8. [name]WILLIAM[/name]- ditto!
  9. [name]JAMES[/name] - not as many here
  10. [name]DANIEL[/name]- a few, less used here than the other names

[name]Ben/name is also popular here amongst school aged children and [name]Oscar[/name] on smaller children.
I believe [name]Lucas[/name] (my son’s name) has risen a lot, but strangely, we haven’t met any here. I had wanted to call him [name]Jasper[/name] when pg, which is a lot less popular and I have met two locally.

Girls

1. [name]OLIVIA[/name] - have met a few, not as many as you might expect.
  2. [name]RUBY[/name]- ditto above.
  3. [name]SOPHIE[/name]- popular here, as is [name]Sophia[/name]
  4. [name]CHLOE[/name]- v popular but have met more school age children called [name]Chloe[/name], rather than babies
  5. [name]EMILY[/name]- popular
  6. [name]GRACE[/name]- not as popular as you might expect here (I love this name)!
  7. [name]JESSICA[/name] - v popular!
  8. [name]LILY[/name]- ditto (especially babies)
  9. [name]AMELIA[/name] - a few
  10. [name]EVIE[/name] (v popular and [name]Eva[/name]/ [name]Eve[/name]/[name]Ava[/name])

[name]Charlotte[/name] v popular here (school age and babies), [name]Isabel[/name]/ [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name]/ [name]Ella[/name] v popular too!

I suspect in ‘trend setting’ parts of [name]London[/name], there is a much greater variety of names than there is here.

Ones that I like out of the top ten girls:

1. [name]OLIVIA[/name]
  2. [name]RUBY[/name]
  3. [name]SOPHIE[/name]
  4. [name]CHLOE[/name]
  5. [name]EMILY[/name]
  6. [name]LILY[/name]

I like [name]Jack[/name], [name]William[/name] and [name]James[/name] of the boys’ names. I’m not crazy about girls’ names. [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Emily[/name] are adorable, though I’d never use them.
I also noticed that the list didn’t change much.

[name]ALFIE[/name]??? I have never heard that name used. Question to those in the UK: Did you have a tv show in the late 80s called “[name]Alf[/name]”??

That is the only thing I think of when I hear that name.