Most popular Irish-American names today

I was just thinking that there were so many Megans, Erins and Shannons when I was growing up. And for boys, there were Kevins, Brians and Seans. All Irish names, all very popular with Irish-Americans in my part of the States in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

I’m wondering what everyone thinks the current top Irish-American names are? I feel like I meet a lot of Liams (love it, it’s my nephew’s name) and Fionas (also- [name_u]LOVE[/name_u]).

This is not a judgement on any of these names, I actually really like all of them, just wondering what you all think are the new Megans and Kevins!

There are still tons of Megans (with the variations, of course). [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], [name_u]Brayden[/name_u], [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u], [name_m]Nolan[/name_m], [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] (etc), and [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] are pretty popular too.

I see a lot of:
[name_u]Aidan[/name_u]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Liam[/name_m]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_u]Ryan[/name_u]
And a fair amount of:
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Declan[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m]
[name_u]Brennan[/name_u]

Girl names: There’s some surname-y stuff going on like:
[name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
McName
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_u]Reagan[/name_u]
[name_u]Teagan[/name_u]

And then the Celtic-influenced names:
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] and its umpteen variations
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f] (one of those “as long as its source is in the British Isles, we’ll say it’s Irish” things)

I think when I was a kid in the 90s, everyone I did Irish dance with, or all of my female cousins, had names like [name_f]Megan[/name_f] (great name though not Irish, but the parents always claimed it was - and the more convoluted the spelling, the more they’d protest it was the “real Irish spelling”), [name_f]Erin[/name_f], [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], [name_u]Kerry[/name_u], [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]. And then the old-fashioned nicknames that weren’t explicitly Irish, but all the Irish-Americans used: [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] and [name_f]Molly[/name_f] (my name). With the old-fashioned cozy name trend (see also, Lily, Ruby, etc), these ones have broke out of the “Irish-American” neighborhood now!

I’d like to clarify that Teagan and Brynn are actually more connected to Wales than anything else :slight_smile:

The Irish names I know of to be popular are;

Aiden (and all forms)
Liam
Ryan
Connor
Brendan
Kevin
Declan
Braden/Brayden
Brian/Bryan
Emmett
Kieran
Kian
Lee
Patrick

Brianna
Nora
Reagan
Quinn
Alana
Keira
Fiona
Delaney
Cassidy
Caitlin
Erin
Kelly

I’m not American! But I do hear a lot of people named:

Boys:
[name_m]Matthew[/name_m]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]
[name_u]Michael[/name_u]
[name_m]Harry[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Liam[/name_m]
[name_m]Scott[/name_m]

Girls:
[name_u]Shannon[/name_u]
[name_f]Megan[/name_f]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Milly[/name_f]
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]

I would to met a little [name_u]Regan[/name_u]!

Out of the younger people with Irish names that I’ve met in recent years, I’d say that these names are most common nowadays:

[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]
[name_m]Connor[/name_m]
[name_m]Brendan[/name_m]
[name_u]Aidan[/name_u]
[name_m]Liam[/name_m]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]

[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]
[name_u]Shannon[/name_u]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]

There are a few Irish (or Scottish Gaelic) names I wish I heard more often:

[name_m]Cillian[/name_m]
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m]
[name_m]Hamish[/name_m]

[name_f]Shona[/name_f]/[name_f]Shiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Neve[/name_f]
[name_f]Roisin[/name_f]
[name_f]Aislin[/name_f]

[name_m]Cillian[/name_m] and cormac are lovely! And [name_f]Roisin[/name_f] is at the top of my list for a girl. I wish I could talk my husband into it!

Oh! And I’m aware that some of these names might not be of Irish origin, it’s more that they have been appropriated into the Irish-American community, if that makes sense.

I’m seeing tons of [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]'s, [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]'s (on girls), [name_u]Shannon[/name_u]'s, [name_f]Megan[/name_f]'s, [name_u]Riley[/name_u]'s (on both genders), and [name_m]Connor[/name_m]'s

Yeah, I was coming from the same place as mrsod, which is why I did mention that [name_f]Megan[/name_f] and [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] aren’t Irish. I wasn’t thinking “Irish names used by Americans” but “names used by Irish-Americans.”

For instance: [name_f]Megan[/name_f] took the Irish-American community by storm in 70s/80s though not Irish, and [name_f]Erin[/name_f] and [name_u]Shannon[/name_u] were huge With Irish-Americans before they were significantly used on girls in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f].