Mother/Daughter Names

Hey berries! I’ve been thinking a lot about baby names - DH & I will be TTC very soon. What do you think about the idea of mothers naming their daughters after themselves?

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Kaitlin[/name_f] nn. [name_f]Katie[/name_f], and I was thinking [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] might be a strong option if we have a daughter. It would obviously honor myself since [name_f]Kaitlin[/name_f] is a diminutive of [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/has the same meaning, but also my mother-in-law whose middle name is [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] & the place-name of where DH proposed. That said, we are nickname people - so I know day to day she would go by a shorter version of the name. Would [name_f]Katie[/name_f] (mom)/Kate (daughter) get confusing? Would it make a difference if we used Catherine? Are there any other nn’s you’d suggest for a [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]? Is the whole idea totally crazy?

[name_f]My[/name_f] names (first and middle) were not honor names - so I’d love to hear from someone who was named after a family member (especially their mother) and how they feel about their name!

Thanks!! xx

2 Likes

I think it’s a lovely idea to name your daughter [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] given its strong connections with your family. I think [name_f]Katie[/name_f] / [name_f]Kate[/name_f] would get a little confusing though. Maybe [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] or [name_u]Kit[/name_u] as a nn for [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] would be better suited?

9 Likes

I absolutely agree with everything @MargotAbeline said! :blush:

5 Likes

Katherine would be lovely - I like the idea of mothers naming daughters after themselves. [name_u]Kit[/name_u] is my favorite nickname option.

3 Likes

Agree with PPs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with PPs too!

1 Like

What about [name_f]Kathy[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]? I do find [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] a bit dated and overused. A fresh alternative is [name_f]Katerina[/name_f], which is a variation of [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] and has the same meaning.

1 Like

Men do that all the time, so why can’t women name their daughters after themselves? It would be an amazing choice - beautiful, meaningful, timeless. You can call her [name_f]Cat[/name_f], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], [name_u]Ren[/name_u]/Wren, K/Kay, [name_f]Erin[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_f]Kat[/name_f], [name_u]Kari[/name_u], Kats, Rine, [name_f]Katia[/name_f]…

2 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback! Definitely on our list now for a middle at the very least :slight_smile: I hadn’t thought of [name_u]Kit[/name_u] as a nickname, and that’s really sweet.

4 Likes

In my family, women’s middle names are passed down, but I agree with everyone else. [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/Katie might get confusing, but then my mom and her twin are [name_u]Kay[/name_u] and [name_f]Katie[/name_f] (originally [name_u]Kay[/name_u] and [name_u]Gay[/name_u], but she changed it before high school because of bullies), so :woman_shrugging:t2:.

Mine and my mom’s middle name is [name_u]Lynn[/name_u].
[name_f]My[/name_f] paternal grandma, a cousin, and my niece share the middle name [name_u]Marie[/name_u].
[name_f]My[/name_f] other grandma, my aunt, and my cousin share the middle name [name_u]Jean[/name_u], which was my great grandmother’s first name.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] it.

1 Like

I love this!! It’s so great to hear your perspective. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Katie/Kate might get tricky… it’s a sweet concept, but bound to trip people up.

Catherine probably wouldn’t make a difference out loud, but on paper, [name_f]Cate[/name_f] might be an easier distinction from [name_f]Katie[/name_f]. Probably still too close.

Katherine or [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] could also go by:
Cath
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_f]Cat[/name_f]
[name_f]Kitty[/name_f]
[name_f]Kiki[/name_f]
[name_f]Kara[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]
[name_u]Kari[/name_u]

Some [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/Kathleen alternatives:
[name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_f]Katya[/name_f]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]

Good luck!

1 Like

Kat, [name_u]Kit[/name_u] or [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] are nn that come to my mind

1 Like

I don’t think so! I love this idea as a [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] who considered having a [name_f]Catie [name_f].

I agree with others that [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] or [name_u]Kit[/name_u] would work better. I also am a big fan of [name_u]Kay[/name_u] and [name_f]Erin[/name_f] is a cool offbeat choice. I considered using [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Erin[/name_f] as well.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Cat[/name_f] is perfect :heart_eyes:

1 Like