Mother-in-Law Recommends We Name the Baby...

Mother-in-[name]Law[/name] recommends we name the baby after her! “[name]Ellen[/name]” Yes, her first name! She’s not kidding, either and won’t let it drop. Isn’t this a tad inappropriate?

Ooh, that woulld be so irritating! My mother-in-law wanted us to give our only daughter HER maiden name for the middle name because she only had sisters and her maiden name was never passed down to the next generation. I did not wait my whole life to have a baby girl to help perpetuate my mother-in-law’s maiden name. Thankfully, my mother-in-law lived two hours away from us. I told my husband “no,” and then ignored her request. Whatever you do, name the baby whatever you like.

This is why I whole-heartedly agree with the Jewish tradition of NOT naming a baby after a living person.

That’s so bizarrely forward of her! I have never heard of someone being egotistical enough to actually ask for a baby to be named after them … If she is the sort of person (aside from this blip) that you would like to name your daughter after, why not go for a variation, possibly in the middle place? [name]Say[/name], [name]Helen[/name]/a, [name]Eleanor[/name]/a, [name]Elodie[/name] or [name]Eloise[/name].

I think that’s actually really funny. If it were me, I wouldn’t be able to stop myself from laughing out loud when she said it. Out of curiosity, who did she name her kids after?

Oh, and if she really tries to make this into a confrontational conversation, you could always cut her off by telling her you follow the tradition of not naming babies after relatives that are still living. That should shut her up.

could there be a compromise and use [name]Ellen[/name] as a middle name instead?

[name]Lilibet[/name] [name]WELCOME[/name] to motherhood!!! Your mother in law, and strangers, will have an opinion on breast feeding, pacifiers, naps and all sorts of other things that are none of there business. Your [name]MIL[/name] is most likely just super excited. My father in law did a similar thing he REALLY wanted us to name our son [name]OZ[/name], he even addressed letters to our family w the name [name]OZ[/name] on it. We appreciated his excitement but did not like the name. I included my FIL by sharing our short list w him and asking for his opinion. Then wen our son was born and we finally named him at the hospital, we called FIL first w the name that way he felt an intimate involvement with the naming process. According to FIL the name we chose was the one he wanted all along, [name]OZ[/name] has never been mentioned again. Maybe this could work for your [name]MIL[/name]. Or another idea is if you planning on using an E name anyway like [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Ella[/name] just tell [name]MIL[/name] that its after her.

People are going to forever be giving their advice. None of my kids first names are “family” names. My daughter [name]Morgan[/name] got [name]Murphy[/name] as a middle name—my mother’s maiden as she was the last to carry it. Other than that–we stayed away!!!

I don’t think it is wrong to say name the baby after me in a joking way, but to keep up the pressure is a tad inappropriate but don’t be too sensitive she may just be an outgoing person who rambles on and puts her foot in her mouth on a regular basis, but she is probably very nice, so I wouldn’t take it to heart.

One of our kids gave their kids the grandparent’s name and the other side don’t want a family connection at all. No problem whatever suits is okay by me.

BTW I just love [name]Ellen[/name]!