Multicultural Name of the Day 2.0

I know I am very late to the party here, but since I am Dutch I wanted to add something to what @Rosebeth told you about the Dutch use of diminutives.
NVB : voornaam Lonneke This site has all sorts of statistics for names used in the Netherlands, the numbers might not mean much to you but with 3181 women and girls given the name Lonneke as a first name since the 1960s - that is to say in their passport - it is a well-established name if you consider that the top name in a given year is given about 600 times. Why since the 60s? That most likely has to do with former Dutch naming laws, which is what Rosebeth hinted at in a sense that for the longest time parents were only allowed to submit ‘full’ names as official names, meaning that a diminutive does not count, instead all Lonnekes would be Apollonias or Leonardas. Is it very informal and vintage? The jury’s out one that one, although informal is not an issue at all within the Netherlands, I’ve had several bosses with diminutive names even though technically they could have reverted to their ‘passport’ names in their professional life, people rarely do. In fact, many traditional Frisian names for both men and women are built using that dimunitve -ke or for women sometimes even -kje.

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] 2.0 cents for today…

[name_u]Malin[/name_u], I just think it’s cute.

3 Likes

after doing an @elliewilbury caf, my names are Ivica and [name_m]Ianto[/name_m]!

4 Likes

Sopho

Trying to shop for a bday gift for a friend and thinking about Georgian wines led me to this moment.

5 Likes

Malinali!

6 Likes

Aadab - a beautiful Arabic girls name meaning hope and need

3 Likes

Jahara!

5 Likes

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] today! :seedling:

4 Likes

[name_u]Aiko[/name_u] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Decided to dive into my Taíno heritage and found these gems :gem: ~

g- Karaya, Anani, Ayalibix, Surey, Yuisa
b- Anayariel, Yariti, Arawa, Anawaribo

13 Likes

[name_m]Avigdor[/name_m] :rainbow: :sparkles:

5 Likes

Satsuki :relaxed:

11 Likes

arantza :green_heart:

a feminine basque name meaning “thorn; hawthorne; thornbush”

11 Likes

[name_m]Hamza[/name_m]!

6 Likes

Ahebi!! After Ahebi Ugbabe who I just learned about today

8 Likes

[name_f]Reem[/name_f] (f), spotted on an election poster. It’s Egyptian.

9 Likes

[name_u]Tal[/name_u]!

5 Likes

[name_f]Milada[/name_f]

4 Likes

[name_f]Bibiana[/name_f] :sun_with_face:

6 Likes

[name_f]Ahava[/name_f] :heart:

6 Likes