Multicultural Name of the Day!

Hi everyone! Like our favorite name of the day thread, I thought this thread could be useful to highlight names used in a non-Western context! What names from different cultures (or maybe your own!) are you loving lately?

16 Likes

Nedim

I believe it’s Arabic, gives me a calm and kind imagery

4 Likes

I’m always loving [name_f]Umeko[/name_f] and [name_f]Miyabi[/name_f] — Japanese girls’ names meaning ‘plum child’ and ‘elegance’ respectively.

3 Likes

This is a really good idea!

Today it’s [name_u]Noor[/name_u], it sounds so elegant :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

mine today is [name_m]Varun[/name_m], the name of a Hindu god (and a guy in one of my classes, which is how I discovered it)! It means “the one who encompasses the world” according to Behind The Name, and I think it’s so fun to say!

7 Likes

Great idea for a thread! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Today I’m really loving [name_f]Hanako[/name_f], which is Japanese and means flower child! Also adore [name_f]Mileva[/name_f], which is Serbian and means gracious or dear.

7 Likes

thank you!! I looooooove [name_u]Noor[/name_u]!!

2 Likes

I’ve been really leaning into the names that I grew up with in a sense. So definitely [name_f]Rivka[/name_f], [name_u]Lior[/name_u], and [name_f]Ashira[/name_f]. They really take me back to camp, candlelit dinners in the middle of winter, and the smell of crayons.

Also loving Welsh names for boys - [name_m]Sulien[/name_m], [name_m]Teilo[/name_m], [name_m]Caradoc[/name_m], [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] - they’re just so sweet and fit my “cable knit sweater” vibe.

17 Likes

oh I love love love [name_f]Rivka[/name_f]!!

in the same vein, @baya44 has me really crushing on [name_f]Chava[/name_f] and [name_f]Ayelet[/name_f] recently :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

Illés! (EE-lesh) Hungarian form of [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]! Sounds so regal and dashing :smiley:

8 Likes

I just found Russu, which is the Finnish “[name_f]Rose[/name_f]” and I adore it!

7 Likes

I’ve been loving [name_m]Szymon[/name_m] this week which in the Polish version of [name_m]Simon[/name_m] :relaxed:

7 Likes

i’ve been loving [name_f]Keiko[/name_f] & [name_u]Rumi[/name_u] lately. also, even though technically it is a western culture, i have plenty of Welsh favourites - today’s is Dyfrig.

7 Likes

I’m enjoying 美 (mei), an honor for my own culture at the moment!

9 Likes

Today, I’ve been thinking about [name_f]Vela[/name_f]. In Sanskrit, it means shore or coast. It is also a space name. It is one of three constellations in the [name_m]Argo[/name_m] Navis constellation… [name_f]Vela[/name_f] is the sails of the ship.

7 Likes

Obviously I have to list Vimbai here, it’s from Zimbabwe, means “have faith” and I adore it ever since meeting one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

@katkabet, this is an absolutely wonderful idea! Thank you for this!

Today, I think my favorites are [name_f]Catalina[/name_f] and [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f].

8 Likes

Arkina! It’s an Armenian name, stemming from the district within the medieval Armenian city, [name_f]Ani[/name_f].

6 Likes

The Hindu [name_f]Goddess[/name_f], [name_f]Parvati[/name_f]

8 Likes

Today it’s [name_m]Kofi[/name_m], an Akan name meaning “born on [name_m]Friday[/name_m]” :purple_heart:

7 Likes