Multiple Choice: pick a middle for Philippa, Beatrix, Persephone!

See the results of this poll: Select one option for each first name please!

Respondents: 81 (This poll is closed)

• Philippa Thisbe Harris : 32 (14%)
  • Philippa Lilith Yvaine Harris : 18 (8%)
  • Philippa Rosamund Thisbe Harris : 26 (11%)
  • Beatrix Eponine Harris : 35 (15%)
  • Beatrix Hypatia Yvaine Harris : 13 (6%)
  • Beatrix Rosamund Xanthe Harris : 28 (12%)
  • Persephone Elowen Harris : 42 (18%)
  • Persephone Winnifred Harris : 23 (10%)
  • Persephone Beatrix Yvaine Harris: 13 (6%)

I like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]. My favourite with [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f].

I wonder how you pronounce [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] - it’s three syllables in my accent, and so are [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] so these combos’ flow is slightly off. I also think [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] is a bit of a tongue-twister but I like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] quite a bit.

Oh and I just caught a typo in the poll, it shpuld be [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], not Rosumund.

This just isn’t my day. :lol:

It’s 3 syllables for me at well. I don’t mind 3-3-2 combos if the right sound parts are in them. I originally tried to find a 2 or 4 syllable name to go with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] but just didn’t care for most of the combos I tried.

I also think 3-3-2-2 works alright, but that’s just me. Again the sound parts themselves matter slightly more than overall syllable count for me personally when it comes to flow.

I see. I just thought I should bring this up because some berries pay a lot of attention to the flow. If it’s okay by you, [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] is very intriguing - there is something about these two names together that I like.
And I fixed the typo in your poll. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is absolutely gorgeous.

I have a soft spot for [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f], and think it flows nicely in a couple of your combos:
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] or [name_f]Rhodeia[/name_f] as a [name_f]Rose[/name_f] honor name?

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Rhodeia[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]

I like:

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] - Is very visually pleasing, and seems like it has a similar feel to your son’s name.
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is so soft and melodic with beautiful [name_f]Persephone[/name_f].
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] - my favorite of the two middle name combos, I really like [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] especially

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone!

I feel very stuck on [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is so pretty but it doesn’t feel as substantial. I’m not sure how I feel about [name_f]Rhodeia[/name_f].

I’m really liking the thought of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] on it’s own now, I’m not sure if I like it more or [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] when it comes to single middle.

Special thank you to moonstone for fixing the typo in my poll!

Overall, from the list in the poll, my favorite name is [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]. What an amazingly beautiful, strong, and creative name!

A few notes though:
If you decide to use a third middle name, I think [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] is rather perfect given its meter. I’m less of a fan of your combos with [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] or [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] at the end, as they don’t feel quite right to me. Is there a reason you don’t have [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] paired up? I would love to see [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]. These two names would rival [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] for its top spot, especially given the meaning behind [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] for you.

[name_m]How[/name_m] are you pronouncing [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]? Is it [name_u]PHIL[/name_u]-ih-puh? I ask because I recently met a phi-LIHP-uh and if this is your pronunciation too, I don’t love either [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] as a (first) middle due to the repeating ‘ihp’ sound, if that makes sense. If the stress is on the first syllable, [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] is quite sweet ([name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] still feels like a bit of a mouth full to me at least).

I had trouble picking my favorite [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] combo. [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] is lovely, but for some reason [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] looks better with only one middle to me. Both [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] would go wonderfully!

I voted for [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]! :slight_smile: So beautiful. [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] is such a fun middle name.

So much amazing feedback here!!!
With [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] I prefer [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] with it in some form or another, I can’t quite explain but I love these names together. And we pronounce [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] with the emphasis on [name_u]PHIL[/name_u] if that helps. Even with the emphasis on [name_u]PHIL[/name_u] though, I’ve already decided [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is too much of a mouthful.

Originally I chose [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] next to [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] because I thought it seemed too frilly by comparison, but I’m second guessing that now. I really like [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] still, but you made a very compelling argument in favor of [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]!

I’m glad someone else likes [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]! [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] has been a long favorite of mine because of [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] of Alexandria, but it’s hard to use because of our surname. I don’t dare use it as a first and find it works best as a double middle.

And I agree [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] works best with just a single middle name!

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] & [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] got my votes. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] is also lovely. My ultimate favourite from your list would have to be [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f].

I voted for [name_f]Phillipa[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Winifred[/name_f]. [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] is my overall favourite.

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to see one of the double middles getting some love!
I’ll leave this thread up for one more day and then I’ll be closing it, thanks to everyone who has voted and posted for your input!

My favourites for each first name are:

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] sounds so gorgeous and magical, a perfect balance between grounded [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and fanciful [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], with [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] being nicely between that- romantic and interesting but familiar too. The whole combination sounds so enchanting. I like that it’s different enough to be distinctive but also down-to-earth enough to be usable, if a lot of name due to the length and relative rareness. (Unusual names tend to feel more like a lot of name to me, as opposed to something like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] which is similar in length.)

I was torn between [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] so voted for both, sorry if that skews your poll! [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] sounds beautiful in an oddly haunting and delicate way, because of the [name_u]Les[/name_u] Mis connection, sad but lovely. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] sounds stronger, like the kind of girl who knows her own mind and that no one wants to mess with.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] gives off the same no-nonsense, badass vibe as [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] to me. She’s the warrior-queen type in movies, a strong woman who can take care of herself and is as glamorous and beautiful as she is determined.

My favourite of the first names is [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], but I like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] best as a combination.

If you’re open to mixing them up, I’d love to see:

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f]/[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] – I really love [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], but she feels too light and bright and frilly to go with a dark, dramatic name like [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]. [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] has the same gentleness about her, I really like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] together.

[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] would be beautiful too, with a really lovely artsy, dreamy vibe that makes me think of a romantic heroine in a rambling old mansion from a story.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] goes really well together, and I like that they’re both ancient names with powerful namesakes, but it might be a bit too much of that theme? I also don’t love [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] and [name_m]Harris[/name_m] next to each other but that’s just me, I’m generally not big on alliteration.

You don’t say whether you plan on any more children or not, but on sibsets:

[name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] go really, really well together- again, both ancient names with strong historical figures fairly closely tied to them. If you had a third child it would feel a bit jarring to me if you didn’t choose another such name, though if you did it would feel even more theme-y.

I often feel (this might just be me though!) that with the first two, similarity feels more like coincidence while lack of similarity doesn’t feel as odd, but with three it’s more noticeable if you have two similar ones and a third that’s quite different; at the same time once you have three or more a theme is also more obvious and feels more deliberate whether it is or not.

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] are a really good match for each other, both being classic but not “core classic” like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Jane[/name_f], both feeling like 19th/early 20th century vintage-chic kind of names. They don’t go as well with [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] though. [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] sound fine as a lot of people have slightly different styles for boys and girls, but [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] feels a bit more off.

Also, [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] sound a bit similar for sisters- by no means unusable, but I did pick up on how they both have strong “ph” and “p” sounds, the middle vowels sound fairly similar and both have emphasis on the first syllable.

BUT, that being said, everything I said about sibsets is mostly only noticeable to namenerds, if that- it’s not the kind of thing that’d come to mind without thinking about it! Any combination of these names would work perfectly fine together in real life really. It’s the kind of thing that only comes up when you’re especially pondering it- NOT like having children named [name_u]Madison[/name_u] and [name_u]Addison[/name_u] (way too similar sounding), or Heavynne and [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] (completely different styles), or something!

Wow, didn’t realize I had written that much! Sorry for the novel, lol.

I like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] the most! [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] would be the perfect sister for [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] imo.

[QUOTE=bonfireazalea;4125685]My favourites for each first name are:

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] sounds so gorgeous and magical, a perfect balance between grounded [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and fanciful [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], with [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] being nicely between that- romantic and interesting but familiar too. The whole combination sounds so enchanting. I like that it’s different enough to be distinctive but also down-to-earth enough to be usable, if a lot of name due to the length and relative rareness. (Unusual names tend to feel more like a lot of name to me, as opposed to something like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] which is similar in length.)

I was torn between [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] so voted for both, sorry if that skews your poll! [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] sounds beautiful in an oddly haunting and delicate way, because of the [name_u]Les[/name_u] Mis connection, sad but lovely. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] sounds stronger, like the kind of girl who knows her own mind and that no one wants to mess with.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] gives off the same no-nonsense, badass vibe as [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] to me. She’s the warrior-queen type in movies, a strong woman who can take care of herself and is as glamorous and beautiful as she is determined.

My favourite of the first names is [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], but I like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] best as a combination.

If you’re open to mixing them up, I’d love to see:

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f]/[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] – I really love [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], but she feels too light and bright and frilly to go with a dark, dramatic name like [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]. [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] has the same gentleness about her, I really like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] together.

[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] would be beautiful too, with a really lovely artsy, dreamy vibe that makes me think of a romantic heroine in a rambling old mansion from a story.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] goes really well together, and I like that they’re both ancient names with powerful namesakes, but it might be a bit too much of that theme? I also don’t love [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] and [name_m]Harris[/name_m] next to each other but that’s just me, I’m generally not big on alliteration.

You don’t say whether you plan on any more children or not, but on sibsets:

[name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] go really, really well together- again, both ancient names with strong historical figures fairly closely tied to them. If you had a third child it would feel a bit jarring to me if you didn’t choose another such name, though if you did it would feel even more theme-y.

I often feel (this might just be me though!) that with the first two, similarity feels more like coincidence while lack of similarity doesn’t feel as odd, but with three it’s more noticeable if you have two similar ones and a third that’s quite different; at the same time once you have three or more a theme is also more obvious and feels more deliberate whether it is or not.

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] are a really good match for each other, both being classic but not “core classic” like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Jane[/name_f], both feeling like 19th/early 20th century vintage-chic kind of names. They don’t go as well with [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] though. [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] sound fine as a lot of people have slightly different styles for boys and girls, but [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] feels a bit more off.

Also, [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] sound a bit similar for sisters- by no means unusable, but I did pick up on how they both have strong “ph” and “p” sounds, the middle vowels sound fairly similar and both have emphasis on the first syllable.

BUT, that being said, everything I said about sibsets is mostly only noticeable to namenerds, if that- it’s not the kind of thing that’d come to mind without thinking about it! Any combination of these names would work perfectly fine together in real life really. It’s the kind of thing that only comes up when you’re especially pondering it- NOT like having children named [name_u]Madison[/name_u] and [name_u]Addison[/name_u] (way too similar sounding), or Heavynne and [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] (completely different styles), or something!

Wow, didn’t realize I had written that much! Sorry for the novel, lol.[/QUOTE

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t apologize! I love that you were so thorough. I really love the feedback you have given.

To answer your question, we only plan on having 2,but I know things don’t always go according to plan.

Several other threads about naming multiples really got me thinking on this and how [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] seems like an obvious choice in a sibset with just [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], but how if the number became 3, whether through twins or a surprise, [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] woukd make mire sense. I think if I had to girls they would definitely end up as [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] (like you I don’t like [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f] and [name_m]Harris[/name_m] side by side, it’s why it isn’t a first name option.) It’s interesting how the number if kiddos completely changes what feels like the right choice!