Multiple Middle Names

What do we all think of giving kids multiple middle names? I think it’s getting more popular, but I only know a couple people who actually have them and they’re all in my SO’s family.
I like the idea of it just to get to use more of the names I love, but I wonder if it makes it harder for the child fitting the names onto forms? I had that problem as a kid, and I only have one middle! :sweat_smile: is this not a problem anymore?

My SO has two middles, so he likes the idea of using two, which I’m good with because I think it fits for our boys name pick (and means we can use a middle I like plus his family middle [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]), but I can’t think of anything to go with our girls pick!

Is it weird to have one kid with two middles and one with only one? [name_m]Will[/name_m] one kid feel left out or anything like that?

Personally hate it when a child has two middle names and another child doesn’t! In general I tend to avoid two middle names due to how hard it is to chose another perfect three name combo later on for the second, I do think it becomes a problem when their young and don’t really want a long name, but I’m someone with a long middle name and I love my name now :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: as a teen

I would have liked to have given my daughter two middles but with two surnames it felt too much. I love the idea though of fitting in more than one beautiful name, especially if it’s an honour name or a reference to a character/author the parents love.

I personally would do the same for all of my kids although I don’t think it’s a huge deal if one has one and one has two. I don’t have a middle name at all whilst my brothers do and it’s never really bothered me.

I personally have 2 middle names. [name_f]My[/name_f] sisters and brother all also have 2 middle names. Mom always said she wanted 9 boys so She gave us 9 names between us … until she got her boy !

My husband only has one middle name and said he would only have kids with one middle name … so we negotiated… and our son has 2 middle names

I think that if it flows and you love the names or have an honour or 2 you want to use go for it!

We chose to omg on our both our living grandfathers and I think it is so special we were able to do that !

I’ve never even heard of someone having two middle names except on these forums. I’d probably only consider it for family names or names of special significance. I think the kid would end up leaving the second middle name off of forms honestly. Maybe download the forms for a passport application or something and see what that would be like.

I’d probably try to give all the kids the same number of names. Like everyone gets a unique name, and a family middle name or whatever.

I quite like two middle names, but I prefer one. I would avoid giving one child more middles than another though. Although the exception is hyphenated names, e.g. one child has a hyphenated first name and one middle name and the other has one first name, one middle name.

I think if on the first kid it is Preference [name_u]Honor[/name_u] Preference (or that in a different order) and on the second it is Preference Preference then it is fine, but other wise I would avoid it.

I plan on giving my children two middle names. As my family (and SOs family) use honour names as middle names, I like the idea of using a middle name to honour one family member from each side. I only have one middle myself, but am considering adding another middle name when I change my name to get married (adding a name similar to the middle name that both my mother and maternal grandmother share).
As for siblings having different numbers of middle names, I dont think it matters. I know several families with kids with different numbers of middles, and there is no lang lasting issues where everyone has at least one. [name_f]My[/name_f] uncle doesnt have one, so he gave his eldest both his first name as a middle, and the middle name that he wanted growing up. [name_f]My[/name_f] other cousins just have one middle, and it caused no real problems. I also have family friends where the youngest child has two middles, because the mother and father couldn’t agree on a name, so both of their first choices were used as middle names.

I think that double middles are fine as long as none of the individual names are too long (even then it’s alright, just a bit of a mouthful), and especially if it’s a tradition and/or you want to fit in an extra honour name. I’m not sure if I would use two middles, but I’m not opposed to it.
As for having siblings with different numbers of names, I personally don’t live the idea, but it isn’t a big deal. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad has two middle names but his siblings only have one.

I’m from the Netherlands, so anything goes in terms of middle names. I’ve got two, I know people with none, I know of people with four. It kind of depends on where you live in the world if it’s going to be a nuisance or not, because [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] forms obviously allow you to add everything your parents tacked onto your name and my name feels incomplete without the second middle name. But, when I lived in [name_f]England[/name_f], I had trouble adding the second middle name to some forms but that could also be just me not being used to [name_f]English[/name_f] forms.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I personally am not a big fan of kids having different numbers of middle names but it’s not the end of the world if that’s what we have to do. Though at this point I think it might be easier to just use one middle for the boys name and use the honour name there and ditch the middle that we simply like :sweat_smile: we shall see!

Only one of our children has more than one middle name, and it’s because they are significant honor names together.