Multisyllabic middles with emphasis on the last syllable

[name]Hi[/name] everyone. I’m so happy to see there are some people in the world as obsessed with names as I am!

I’m trying to name my baby, so I got to thinking about middle names. It’s interesting to me that, among multi-syllable middles, names with an emphasis on the last syllable have been really popular. It makes sense, because they flow so well with a variety of first and last names. Examples of middle names like this:

[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Renee[/name]
[name]Annette[/name]
[name]Lynette[/name]
[name]Michelle[/name]

I suppose it makes sense that these names are predominantly French in origin. But those names are obviously pretty passe. What names do YOU like for a new generation that follow this pattern?

I like:

[name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Emmanuelle[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]

Others?

This is a fun topic!

[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Renee[/name]
[name]Annette[/name]
[name]Lynette[/name]
[name]Michelle[/name]

I suppose it makes sense that these names are predominantly French in origin. But those names are obviously pretty passe. What names do YOU like for a new generation that follow this pattern?

I like:

[name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Emmanuelle[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]

Others? ( I am going to add stars to my favorite names on my list!)
Audrine
[name]Claudine[/name]*
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Desiree[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name]*
[name]Francine[/name]***
[name]Georgine[/name]***
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Josette[/name]
[name]Kathleen[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]**
[name]Lurleen[/name]
[name]Marin[/name] (mah-RINN)
[name]Maybeline[/name]
[name]Maudine[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name]**
[name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Nanette[/name]
[name]Odette[/name]
[name]Paulette[/name]
[name]Pauline[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Suzette[/name]
[name]Veronique[/name]
[name]Yvette[/name]

Oh, you have some good ones! I especially like:

[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Veronique[/name]
[name]Yvette[/name]

I thought of some more:

[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]

[name]Lurleen[/name] - Oh, is that a real name? I thought it was made up for the Simpsons character, [name]Lurleen[/name] Lumpkin. lol. I suppose they’ve ruined it for me.

[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]

:slight_smile:

I have a friend who used to be an animator at Disney, and his boss was named [name]Lurleen[/name]. I am in a name phase right now where I’m trying to think of names that are cutting edge cool - not even hipster names yet. [name]Lurleen[/name] is probably not a cutting edge cool name, but it feels like it could be. Of course since [name]Lurleen[/name] was a Simpsons character, it is probably ruined for many more years.

I am going to add stars to my favorite names on my list!
And what about [name]Solange[/name]? And [name]Cosette[/name]?

I have to say that [name]Lurleen[/name] is the sister to [name]Earlene[/name], [name]Jolene[/name], and Raeleen to me, and they all work at an interstate pancake house and live in a cabin in the woods. :frowning:

Ten years ago, what would you have said about [name]Myrtle[/name]? I am fascinated by the names that are the most edgy. Besides, my friend’s boss [name]Lurleen[/name] was cooler than cool. And extremely talented.
By the way, I would never name a human being [name]Lurleen[/name]. But I do love [name]Francine[/name] and [name]Georgine[/name]. And even [name]Maxine[/name].

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Susan[/name]! :slight_smile:

Let’s see… [name]Myrtle[/name]? Ten years ago, like now, I would think that it rhymes with girdle. It’s just one of those names that’s always going to be out for me. I’ve been trying to get it to grow on me, but so far, I’ve had no luck. :frowning:

I like the other names ([name]Francine[/name], [name]Georgine[/name], and [name]Maxine[/name]) better, but [name]Maxine[/name] is still the crabby Hallmark cartoon to me. I’ve been thinking of [name]Georgina[/name] lately (close to [name]Georgine[/name]), and I think it’s really cool. :slight_smile:

I’ve decided that [name]Lurleen[/name] is a great name for a cat. But what do you think of [name]Lucine[/name]? I met a very nice lady named [name]Lucine[/name].
I’ve noticed that a lot of very uncool names have the sound “er”, “or”, and “ur” in the first syllable:

Girls
[name]Bertha[/name]
[name]Ernestine[/name]
[name]Gertrude[/name]
[name]Hortense[/name]
[name]Lurleen[/name]
[name]Muriel[/name]
[name]Verna[/name]

Boys:
[name]Bertram[/name]
[name]Boris[/name]
[name]Durwood[/name]
[name]Girard[/name]
[name]Herman[/name]
[name]Norbert[/name]
[name]Percy[/name]
[name]Serge[/name]
[name]Vern[/name]
[name]Werner[/name]

These names are so uncool that I bet some of them will come in style after a while. When someone wants to be a really innovative namer, there sometimes is no place to find a name except for the So Far Out They [name]Will[/name] Always Be Out list. But surprisingly, sometimes those names become really hot:

Like [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Bernard[/name] ([name]Arthur[/name] and [name]Bernard[/name] have two vowel/r sounds), [name]Forrest[/name], and [name]Xerxes[/name]. And [name]Cora[/name], [name]Fern[/name], [name]Hermione[/name], [name]Myrtle[/name], and [name]Veronica[/name].

It’s not a name I’d use, but I do think [name]Lucine[/name] is elegant. For some reason, een just isn’t my favorite ending, but I do like the Irish [name]Rosaleen[/name] and [name]Aveline[/name]. (Maybe it’s the number of syllables that does it for me?)

I really love [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Veronica[/name], too, and always have! :slight_smile:

There was a name I was thinking of earlier that I wanted to run by you, but I can’t think of it now. Hmm… I’ll think of it one of these days!

Let me know when you name a kitty named [name]Lurleen[/name], and I’ll send her some toys. :slight_smile:

My kitty Mokie ([name]Moses[/name]) is sick and I had to take him to the vet today. He is the [name]Prince[/name] of the Universe so hold good thoughts for him to get well! The vet gave him some pills.

Oh, [name]Moses[/name]/Mokey! What a sweet name! I’m so sorry he’s sick, and I’ll keep you both in my thoughts.

I’m half asleep and typing this with only my left eye opened, so I’ll write Mokey’s plight down on paper to make sure I don’t forget. :frowning:

Mokey is probably the cutest kitty name I’ve ever heard. :slight_smile:

Thread hijackers!! :smiley: No, just kidding. Mokey IS a really cute name.

lol @ jill’s description of [name]Lurleen[/name] and her sisters. I’m glad the actual human [name]Lurleen[/name] was awesome, because I think you would need to be in order to pull off that name.

You guys are good at this! Oh and I thought of one other name fitting the “last syllable emphasis” category that I mentioned on my other thread: [name]Corinne[/name].

Mokey IS a really cute name.

• Thanks! And Mokie is a very handsome kitty. He is long and lithe and has beautiful markings, spots and stripes. He has a white chest and white paws. Looks like he is going to a formal occasion. He looks kind but slightly stern like [name]Colin[/name] [name]Firth[/name].

lol @ jill’s description of [name]Lurleen[/name] and her sisters. I’m glad the actual human [name]Lurleen[/name] was awesome, because I think you would need to be in order to pull off that name.

[name]Lurleen[/name] had very interesting glasses. It would be necessary. I think you can get by with any odd name as long as you live in a cool place and wear very cool glasses. Of course you need a cool haircut, too. Your name could even be [name]Hortense[/name] if you had the right glasses! But it would be sad to put glasses on an infant!

LOL, susan you crack me up!

Oh my bad for misspelling Mokie’s name And I’m usually so fussy about such things! Your description of him is just awesome.

[name]Jill[/name] was spot-on; I was resisting saying something similar. I love to see names reclaimed, though, and I do prefer [name]Lurline[/name] to [name]Hortense[/name] by a mile…

Yeah, sorry about the whole thread hijacking thing, [name]Phaedra[/name]! And Teabea, lol! :slight_smile:

[name]Phaedra[/name], I think [name]Corinne[/name] is great, too. :slight_smile:

[name]Susan[/name], I hope Mokey is okay!

LOL, that’s the best description of a cat I’ve ever heard. I’ll be thinking good thoughts for Mokie, my cat [name]London[/name] isn’t sick, but she has a weird growth on her neck/shoulder that is scaring me a little.

I’d be really interested in seeing your edge-of-cool list. Can you share, or is it top secret?

LOL, that’s the best description of a cat I’ve ever heard. I’ll be thinking good thoughts for Mokie, my cat [name]London[/name] isn’t sick, but she has a weird growth on her neck/shoulder that is scaring me a little.

I’d be really interested in seeing your edge-of-cool list. Can you share, or is it top secret?[/quote]

I will be thinking peaceful thoughts about your kitty [name]London[/name]! My handsome kitty is waiting for his test results. He looks healthy but he might have parasites, IBS, or even cancer. I don’t see how he could have cancer when his eyes look so bright and alert.

My edge-of-cool list is kind of a concept right now rather than a reality. But I will make you a beginning edge-of-cool list (these are not the usual Nameberry names.) Come to think of it, I am going to call it Names that Could Be on the [name]Verge[/name] of Edgy Cool List or [name]How[/name] to Outhip the Hipsters:

Girls:
[name]Bernice[/name]
[name]Claudine[/name]
[name]Delores[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Eunice[/name]
[name]Flavia[/name]
[name]Francine[/name]
[name]Georgine[/name]
[name]Gillette[/name] - for the time being, I would only use this as a girls’ name.
[name]Gladys[/name]
[name]Hester[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Kaye[/name]
[name]Kitty[/name] as a nn for [name]Katherine[/name], the nn is on the verge of edgy cool. [name]Katherine[/name] is classic of course.
[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name]
[name]Maybeline[/name] nn [name]May[/name], [name]Belle[/name]! [name]May[/name] is Nameberry cool and [name]Belle[/name] is super popular.
[name]Paulette[/name]
[name]Pauline[/name]
[name]Selma[/name]
[name]Suzette[/name]
[name]Wanda[/name]

Boys:
[name]Albert[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name]
[name]Bert[/name] as a nn for other names - I’m thinking [name]Albert[/name] and [name]Umberto[/name]. Beware of most of the -bert names. [name]Robert[/name] is pretty timeless and so anyone can feel free to use it, but it’s not edgy cool.
[name]Clarence[/name]
[name]Claude[/name]
[name]Del[/name] - great sound, but what could it be a nn for? [name]Delbert[/name] is not ready for edgy cool. Maybe [name]Delfino[/name]!
[name]Earl[/name] - My husband and I go on [name]Earl[/name] kicks where we say [name]Earl[/name] over and over to each other. We know a salesman named [name]Earl[/name] who is fashionably slim and wears very cool glasses. He pulls it off!
[name]Floyd[/name] - [name]Lloyd[/name] is not quite edgy cool yet, but [name]Floyd[/name] is so disturbingly odd that it is so cool imo.
[name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Fred[/name]
[name]Girard[/name]
[name]Hector[/name]
[name]Herman[/name]
[name]Ivan[/name]
[name]Leonard[/name] - no “o” at the end, thank you!
[name]Lester[/name]
[name]Luther[/name]
[name]Maurice[/name]
[name]Murray[/name]
[name]Perry[/name] - weak in the knees cool!
[name]Ralph[/name] nn [name]Ralphie[/name]
[name]Roger[/name]
[name]Roy[/name]
[name]Stanley[/name] nn [name]Stan[/name]
[name]Teo[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-oh)
[name]Vance[/name]
[name]Verne[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Wilfred[/name]

A lot of these names sound like characters in a [name]Coen[/name] Brothers movie! This is a working list - let’s add to it!

Oh my gosh, I love this list! Especially the boys! And [name]How[/name] to Outhip the Hipsters is hilarious! I think these names should come with a warning: Only use if you have a great personality and/or live in a cool, urban area.

Girls:
[name]Bernice[/name]-
[name]Claudine[/name]
[name]Delores[/name]- [name]Do[/name] you think her nickname could be [name]Doe[/name]?
[name]Elaine[/name]- This is my [name]MIL[/name]'s middle name, I would totally use, but probably as a middle. one of my best friend’s as a sister named [name]Eliane[/name], and she’s not the nicest girl I ever met.
[name]Eunice[/name]- I think this is still too old lady for me
[name]Flavia[/name]- I didn’t like this at first, but it’s growing on me, nn [name]Flavie[/name] is cute. You could even call her [name]Love[/name].
[name]Francine[/name]- You and those [name]Franc[/name]- names! I like this one, sounds almost like [name]Francie[/name], but not a nicknames, which is cool.
[name]Georgine[/name]- I love [name]Georg[/name]- names! My favorite is [name]Georgiana[/name], pronounced [name]Georg[/name]- AY- na
[name]Gillette[/name] - This would be pretty if it weren’t for the razors.
[name]Gladys[/name]- I can’t really picture a little girl with this name.
[name]Hester[/name]- Ditto
[name]Irene[/name]- I only think of the girl with the curly hair from Real World Seattle. But it is pretty.
[name]Kaye[/name]- I never thought I liked this, but there’s a character on [name]General[/name] Hospital whose boyfriend calls her [name]Kaye[/name] and I now think it’s super cute.
[name]Kitty[/name] as a nn for [name]Katherine[/name]- This is my mom’s name! She’s gone by [name]Kitty[/name] since she was born (My grandparents had another baby named [name]Carol[/name] [name]Jean[/name] and always called her [name]Joy[/name]. She died when she was a few days old, but my mom always thought her named was really [name]Joy[/name] until we found her on Ancestry.com. Off topic, but oh yeah! I think [name]Joy[/name] is a cute name and nameberry doesn’t!) [name]Ah[/name], anyway, I would love to use [name]Kitty[/name] as a middle name, because my husband doesn’t like [name]Katherine[/name], and it’s more personal, anyway.
[name]Lucille[/name]- Cute! I also like [name]Lucette[/name].
[name]Maxine[/name]- I love the nickname [name]Maxie[/name] a LOT! I always think of [name]Laura[/name]'s best friend on Family Matters, which has always held me back from embracing this.
[name]Maybeline[/name] nn [name]May[/name], [name]Belle[/name]- I [name]LOVE[/name] this. My parents have a pink 58 [name]Ford[/name] Fairlane and her name is Maybelline. I also like [name]Maybelle[/name]. It’s a shame the cosmetic company stole it!
[name]Paulette[/name]- I’m not sure about [name]Paul[/name]- name
[name]Pauline[/name]- ditto
[name]Selma[/name] - I think this is usable, thanks to Ms. [name]Blair[/name].
[name]Suzette[/name]- This I completely adore, and would absolutely use it in an instant! I love -ette names!
[name]Wanda[/name]- This is cute!

Boys:
[name]Albert[/name]- [name]Albie[/name]! Cute!
[name]Bernard[/name]- hmm, not sure what I think. I think I can see it on a little boy.
[name]Bert[/name] as a nn for other names - What about [name]Herbert[/name]? I just came across that yesterday and think the nickname [name]Herbie[/name] is to die for.
[name]Clarence[/name]- I went to school with one who went by [name]Clare[/name], I like it.
[name]Claude[/name]-
[name]Del[/name] - Wow! I just added this to my list yesterday! I only found [name]Odell[/name] for it to be a nickname for, which I think is really cute, except for it’s similarity to [name]Adele[/name]. [name]Delfino[/name] is wicked cool! I love that!
[name]Earl[/name] - This is my dad’s middle, his dad’s first, and goes back three generations before that. I always completely hated it, and then the first time I saw my baby I wanted to name him [name]Earl[/name] because he looked like my grandpa! It’s really not as bad as I always thought!
[name]Floyd[/name] - This never occurred to me, but it’s actually really awesome. Going on my list!
[name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Fred[/name]- One of my favorite favorites. When I was pregnant I worked at a produce market, casual place, right? Well this handsome young guy walks in in a suit and was so nice and polite and then my coworker introduced him as her nephew [name]Fred[/name]. I was completely charmed, and it only added to my love of the name.
[name]Girard[/name]- I like it better [name]Gerard[/name], so you can have the nickname [name]Gerry[/name].
[name]Hector[/name]- I don’t think this is uncommon where I’m from ([name]Orange[/name] County)
[name]Herman[/name]- I have a thing for the cursive capital H, so I want to like this. I think [name]Hermie[/name] would be a cute nickname.
[name]Ivan[/name]- I can totally see this taking off
[name]Leonard[/name] - I’ve been wondering what people think of this! [name]Leonardo[/name] is too Italian for my tastes (just for personal use, I think it’s a beautiful name for other people!). [name]Leonard[/name] is pretty cool.
[name]Lester[/name]- next on the male list of people to honor on my husband’s side is [name]Lester[/name] [name]Burton[/name], nickname Tick. I’ve been trying to figure out how to make it cool. I was thinking [name]Leicester[/name] (it’s pronounced that same, but looks so fancy!) in the second middle would be kinda cool, plus I’ve got some family ties to [name]Leicester[/name], [name]England[/name].
[name]Luther[/name]- This is pretty jazzy and I can totally see this one getting popular!
[name]Maurice[/name]- cool
[name]Murray[/name]- I adore this and [name]Murphy[/name]!
[name]Perry[/name] - Oh man! I so agree! But what would it be a nickname for? [name]Peregrine[/name]? I also L.O.V.E. [name]Percy[/name]! So much! But [name]Percival[/name] is a bit much!
[name]Ralph[/name] nn [name]Ralphie[/name]- “Daddy’s gonna kill [name]Ralphie[/name]!” I love [name]Raphael[/name] and [name]Rafferty[/name].
[name]Roger[/name]- Ooh, good one!
[name]Roy[/name]- Ditto!
[name]Stanley[/name] nn [name]Stan[/name]- I think you’re on a roll!
[name]Teo[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-oh)- This reminds me of someone yelling “AAY-oh!”, so it’s makes me giggle. But it is cool.
[name]Vance[/name]- Ooh, cool again!
[name]Verne[/name]- Reminds me of the Trading Spaces guy, and that’s cool.
[name]Victor[/name]- I heard this on TV yesterday and thought it sounded awesome.
[name]Wilfred[/name]- I love this! It would honor my dad and give me my beloved [name]Fred[/name]! I fear people would make fun of me for using it, though.

This is such a great list! Let’s see what I can add:
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Leroy[/name]
[name]Helio[/name]- nickname [name]Lio[/name], and means the sun.
[name]Penn[/name]- a great alternative to [name]Finn[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]Clint[/name]
[name]Odell[/name]
[name]Conal[/name]
[name]Ozias[/name]
[name]Russell[/name]- I adore this, nn [name]Rusty[/name]
[name]Roscoe[/name]
[name]Ferris[/name]
[name]Gustav[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]

Girls:
[name]Peridot[/name]
[name]Amity[/name]
Leisl
[name]Annette[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Rita[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Hero[/name]
[name]Fable[/name]

Hmm, mine don’t have the same feel as yours, but that’s the best I can do for now! [name]Dash[/name] is up and wants to play!