Muriel too unpopular?

I love the name [name_f]Muriel[/name_f]! For the record, I am not religious at all and also love the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

I think it’s lovely.

I love the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. It’s a shame you don’t feel you can use it. Than again, [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] is very pretty and I can totally imagine it on an adorable little girl! I love that it’s unusual as well.

I’d have thought most people will quickly come round to liking the name once they associate it with the child. It can be easy to dismiss a name at first glance!

I find [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] to be quite dreary, honestly.

I actually like the sound of [name_f]Muriel[/name_f]; it was one of my favorite great-aunts’ names, although she went by a nn for her middle, [name_f]Cathleen[/name_f]. Something about the way it looks doesn’t seem very attractive to me, which is probably why I prefer [name_f]Mirielle[/name_f]. Which I guess makes it a variant of [name_f]Mireille[/name_f], but it sounds more like [name_f]Muriel[/name_f]. Still a lovely name, though, and I can easily see [name_m]Warren[/name_m], [name_u]Lee[/name_u], and [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] being siblings.

Good luck!

I don’t like [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] at all, it’s an old ladie’s type of name and quite frumpy. Nevertheless those names seem to be getting trendy and the important thing is that you both like it!

I’m old enough that it sounds like a great-aunt name…which most likely makes it a prime candidate for revival. :slight_smile: If you like it (the sound, the meaning, etc.), then I say go for it! A cute nn would be [name_u]Murry[/name_u]… :slight_smile:

[name_f]Muriel[/name_f] is too frumpy and clunky for me, sorry. I can’t see it coming back into style, though you never know. I like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] though, and don’t think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is too religious for someone who isn’t religious to use (I’m assuming you aren’t if this is an issue for you). Most of the [name_f]Marys[/name_f] I’ve known haven’t been religious, so I wouldn’t assume someone with that name was.

I have heard of the [name_m]French[/name_m] version [name_f]Murielle[/name_f]- for some reason like that spelling better. It is a lovely name and beautiful meaning either way.

I don’t love it myself, but it’s perfectly usable.

I have a [name_f]Mariel[/name_f]! I feel like [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] is a bit dated, but I like it. [name_f]Mariel[/name_f] feels completely different to me, even though it is only 1 letter off. I can attest that it works very well in today’s world, but she does get called [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] from time to time.

I find [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] to be so beautiful!

[name_f]Muriel[/name_f]'s lovely, and so is the meaning.

An alternative that hasn’t been suggested is the variant [name_f]Meriel[/name_f], which I think is gorgeous, especially with the nickname [name_f]Merry[/name_f].