Musa for a girl?

I was watching Winx Club the other day (with kids) and one of the fairy’s name is [name]Musa[/name]. (I have liked this name for awhile, but never knew where I got it from till the other day.)

Since I love [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Luna[/name], it only makes sense I’d fall in love with [name]Musa[/name], but I recently looked it up and it appears to be a male name. It’s a version of [name]Moses[/name], but [name]Musa[/name] sounds so feminine in my mind.

Would it be acceptable to use on a girl? I know Winx Club isn’t super popular so I’m not worried about the fairy connection.

Alternatives would be [name]Musette[/name] and [name]Musetta[/name], but I just don’t like them as much as [name]Musa[/name] and I would probably shorten [name]Musette[/name] or [name]Musetta[/name] to [name]Musa[/name] anyway… What do you guys think?

In case you’re curious, the other fairies names are:
Bloom (and here I thought I was the only one that liked this as a name)
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Layla[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] (one of my favorite names has been used on a fairy!)
Tecna
[name]Roxy[/name]

and their boyfriends (as I have been informed) are:
[name]Sky[/name]
[name]Brandon[/name]
[name]Timmy[/name]
Riven
[name]Helia[/name] (I like this too and looked it up, apparently it’s the girl version of [name]Helios[/name]/[name]Helen[/name] - not sure which is accurate)
Nabu

EDIT: I would pronounce Musa as Muse-uh, like Music except with an -a ending. (like in the show)

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce it? Is it moo-sah or muse-ah? Either way, I prefer [name]Muse[/name] (though only as a middle name). [name]Love[/name] [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] though. On a side note, I find it funny that you pointed out [name]Flora[/name] being used for a fairy, as that’s what I always associate the name with due to Sleeping Beauty.

In the show they say it as muse-uh, like [name]Music[/name] (she’s the fairy of music)

And I totally forgot about Sleeping Beauty! I guess [name]Flora[/name] is a common fairy name. I always just found it to be pretty and flowery.

Anyone else? Is [name]Musa[/name] okay to use on a girl?

[name]Musa[/name] is the Arabic form of [name]Moses[/name], pronounced Moosah. Im arab, so if i saw musa for a girl, it would look really weird to me, like an American gjrl named [name]Jose[/name].

If I pronounced it like in the show [name]Muse[/name]-uh, would that make a difference? It’s supposed to be like [name]Music[/name] except with an a ending.

I know you would pronounce it “[name]Muse[/name]-a” but many will initially pronounce it “Moo-sa” which is not a very flattering name (sounding very masculine to my ears) for a little girl. Going along the lines of mispronunciation, “Moo-sa” will most likely lead to mean, little snot-nosed kids calling her names like Moose, Moosey, and Moose-a. Also, even the correct pronunciation may lead to unkind nicknames such as “mucus musa”. Personally, I would steer clear of this one. Why not just use [name]Luna[/name]? That’s one of my all time favorite names.

Not a fan. First of all, at first glance it’s all Arabic and male. I’m not a fan of the sound of the name either, and if someone cared about connecting a name to music, there are much more interesting ways to do that. And if someone sincerely wanted to name their child after a fairy on a tv show, i’m not sure what i’d be able to say to them…

It wasn’t intentional… I just like the name and I didn’t realize that where I heard it came from a TV show… so I’m not intentionally planning on naming my kid after a fairy…

Also would [name]Musette[/name] and [name]Musetta[/name] be better and then use [name]Musa[/name] as a nickname? Would that make it more okay.

I do love [name]Luna[/name] and [name]Flora[/name], but I would like to have some more options.

I like it, but only in the middle or as a nn. [name]Musette[/name] is intersesting with a nice ring to it but is definitely nms.

Two different names, folks. [name]Musa[/name] would be the name-form of muse, which in Greek mythology were all female, such as [name]Clio[/name], etc. The more common form of the name is [name]Musetta[/name] (think La [name]Boheme[/name]) or [name]Musette[/name]. I have a friend who is a glorious singer named [name]Musetta[/name], after her grandmother, who was named after the character in La [name]Boheme[/name]…Personally, I’ve always loved the names from [name]Boheme[/name] – [name]Lucia[/name] ([name]Mimi[/name]), [name]Rodolfo[/name], [name]Musetta[/name], and [name]Marcello[/name].

O cool! I didn’t realize it was a Greek. That makes me feel better about it. The only thing I could find was [name]Musa[/name] as being pn moos-uh and used for boys.

I think I’ll keep it on my list, it’s defiantly not up with [name]Luna[/name] and [name]Flora[/name] as of now, but I’m defiantly loving the sound. Not sure if I would go with the long version [name]Musetta[/name] though. I do like [name]Musetta[/name] over [name]Musette[/name].

Thanks for the info!

[name]EDIT[/name]: I did another search and found this:

I think that just made me like the name a little more

[name]Musette[/name] isn’t a name it’s a type of dance and bagpipe instrument in [name]France[/name]. I don’t know why Nameberry lists it as a name, I added to the reference before but someone took it out.

My niece is a huge Winx club fan and I’ve always thought [name]Musa[/name] was an interesting name! I say why not?

Well [name]Viola[/name] is an instrument and it’s used a lot, so I don’t see the issue with [name]Musette[/name]… it’s also a lesser known instrument.

Plus people use [name]Harmony[/name], [name]Aria[/name], and [name]Melody[/name]…

I knew the [name]Viola[/name] was an instrument but I never knew it wasn’t a name as well so I learned something :slight_smile: It’s true people here probably wouldn’t know it’s actually a dance and instrument so you could turn it into a name, I forgot it’s also a word for messenger bag, you also have a really good point about [name]Melody[/name] and [name]Harmony[/name].

That said, I prefer [name]Musa[/name] and [name]Musetta[/name] over [name]Musette[/name], I just wanted to point out that people use word names all the time, so I don’t think it’s a huge issue if someone wants to use [name]Musette[/name].

Thanks everyone for the responses! My fiance’ brought up that it reminds him of mucas… so unless we have more than one kid, I think the name will remain under [name]Luna[/name] and [name]Flora[/name].