Music-related girls names?

[name]Hi[/name] there everyone! My hubby and I are still in desperate search of the perfect name for our little girl. [name]Music[/name] is a huge part of both of our lives – singing, the guitar, and the piano in particular, but honestly music as a whole. I’ve thought about tying this into our daughter’s name somehow. Does anyone know of any music-related names to add to our following list?

[name]Capella[/name]
[name]Lyric[/name]
[name]Sonnet[/name] (not quite musical, but close!)
[name]Melody[/name]

What about [name]Aria[/name]? I think it’s really pretty. I also just thought of [name]Allegra[/name]!

[name]Harmony[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]

[name]Bell[/name]
[name]Cadence[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Melody[/name]
[name]Minuet[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]

Or how about names of musicians?
[name]Aretha[/name]
[name]Billie[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Etta[/name]
[name]Lennon[/name]
[name]Odetta[/name]

[name]Cecilia[/name] - after [name]Saint[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name], the patron saint of music and musicians!

[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Tala[/name]
[name]Demi[/name]

Thanks everyone! We are loving these :slight_smile:

[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Capella[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Harmony[/name]
[name]Lyric[/name]
[name]Melody[/name]
[name]Sonnet[/name]

We both love [name]Viola[/name], too, but I’ve heard it has some negative connotations in Spanish. Does anyone know for sure?

Basically Violar means “to violate/rape”, of course the pronounciation is a tad different. Unless you (or your family) have a spanish background, I think you’ll be okay.

[name]Allegra[/name], [name]Aria[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Viola[/name] are all beautiful!

It’s funny that the [name]Viola[/name] topic is coming up again. I was going to update my old post about the name and its connotations in other languages (I was seriously considering the name. It was one of my final 2). Anyway, my old nanny from the Dominican Republic came to visit last week and I asked her what she thought of the name. She is 50 and brutally honest when it comes to her opinion. Anyway, she told me she Hated the name. I asked why and she said, “it is an old lady name”. She did not have any associations with rape. Think about it, do you think of violation when you see [name]Viola[/name]? Anyway, I have found that the name doesn’t get such a favorable response from people 50 and older b/c of the old lady connotation (possibly equal to a [name]Gertrude[/name]). My mil had the same response. If you are ok with that connection, I would use the name. I think it is lovely and found my hipper friends (30 somethings) loved it and found it fresh. When I think of a [name]Viola[/name], I think of a bohemian, artsy girl. I believe the people spreading the rape connection are not native Spanish speakers and have not done any research on this one except to open a dictionary and look at the literal translation for the verb violar. In Spanish, as most languages, the same begining of a word can mean a variety of things. If you want more info on this, look up my old post from this summer. Best of luck. [name]IMO[/name] [name]Viola[/name] is a beautiful name!

I know a [name]Melody[/name] she is gorgeous!

I love [name]Calliope[/name] sadly the other half doesn’t I vote for that :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about [name]Eulalia[/name]/[name]Eulalie[/name] from the Greek meaning sweet voice?

This is a little late, but [name]Cecilia[/name] is the patron saint of musicians :slight_smile:

my bad. Already been mentioned. Not as clever as I thought.

And I checked, too, must have missed it.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Corrisande[/name]. It’s a greek name meaning “chorus-singer”!

I love [name]Aria[/name], [name]Lyric[/name] and [name]Melody[/name].

I love, love, love [name]Allegra[/name]!

[name]Aria[/name] and [name]Allegra[/name] are my favorites from your list…