Must watch movies

I’ve been collecting over the years, movies that I want to watch with my future children. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom and I watch a movie every night and have been slowing whittling down my list that was over 500 movies. I would love to carry that tradition on with my family and have made a list of movies I either love or think have a large cultural impact.

17 again
50 first dates
A quiet place
A river runs through it
Addams family
All [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
All marvel
All [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars
Anchorman
Attack the block
[name_u]Austin[/name_u] powers
Barnyard
Bedazzled
Big daddy
Blades of glory
The boondocks saints
The breakfast club
Bumblebee
The burbs
The cabin in the woods
Cars
[name_u]Coco[/name_u]
The conjuring
Couples retreat
Corpse bride
Crazy rich Asians
[name_m]Creed[/name_m] 2 (and 1 and [name_m]Rocky[/name_m] but this is best)
Curious case of [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] button
Diary of a wimpy kid
The duchess
Edge of winter
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] scissorhands
[name_f]Elf[/name_f]
Emperors new groove
The fault in our stars
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m] bueller
Fight club
Finest hours
Flyboys
The [name_u]Fox[/name_u] and the hound
Good will hunting
The Goonies
The hangover
Hellboy
Holes
Hot fuzz
How to train your dragon
Hunger games
The impossible
Inception
Inglorious basterds
Insidious
Into the spiderverse
Joker
Jumanji (the rock one)
[name_m]Just[/name_m] friends
[name_m]Just[/name_m] go with it
Karate kid
The king
The Kingsman
Knives out
Knocked up
[name_f]Lilo[/name_f] and stitch
[name_m]Little[/name_m] mermaid
[name_u]Love[/name_u], [name_m]Simon[/name_m]
Meet joe black
Meet the parents
[name_u]Memphis[/name_u] belle
Men in black
[name_f]Moana[/name_f]
[name_f]Mulan[/name_f]
Neighbors
[name_u]Night[/name_u] at the museum
Nightmare before [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]
The notebook
The outsiders
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Harbor[/name_u]
Pirates of the Caribbean
[name_f]Princess[/name_f] and the frog
[name_f]Princess[/name_f] diaries
Psycho
Ratatouille
Ready player one
Rise of the guardians
Rocketman
[name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
Saw
Scooby Doo
[name_u]Scott[/name_u] Pilgrim
Scream
[name_u]Seven[/name_u]
Shanghai [name_u]Noon[/name_u]
Shark Tale
[name_u]Shaun[/name_u] of the dead
The shining
Signs
Sinister
[name_u]Sky[/name_u] high
[name_m]Son[/name_m] in [name_m]Law[/name_m]
[name_f]Star[/name_f] Trek
Step Brothers
Tangled
There’s something about [name_f]Mary[/name_f]
Titanic
To all the boys I’ve loved before
[name_m]Tommy[/name_m] boy
Top gun
Transformers
Us
Wedding crashes
What we become
Without a paddle
[name_m]Young[/name_m] Frankenstein
[name_m]Young[/name_m] guns
Zombieland

What movies do you love or think had a major cultural impact that I’ve missed?

1 Like

There are soo many of my favourite movies here!
I’m not so sure about cultural impact, but some movies I love and would love to watch with my kids are…
All of the [name_u]Indiana[/name_u] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] movies
All of the Jurassic park + world movies
Ponyo
Howls Moving Castle
Catch Me If You [name_m]Can[/name_m]

I’ve got to run to the shops… but I’ll be back!

1 Like

Oh I love catch me if you can! I’ve gone through phases where I will only watch movies that have a specific actor in them and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] was my first (then [name_m]Tom[/name_m] [name_u]Holland[/name_u], [name_u]Taron[/name_u] Egerton, [name_f]Keira[/name_f] Knightly, [name_m]Brad[/name_m] [name_m]Pitt[/name_m], [name_u]Michael[/name_u] B [name_u]Jordan[/name_u], [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] Depp, and now [name_m]Zac[/name_m] [name_m]Efron[/name_m]:joy:) I think [name_u]Indiana[/name_u] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] and Jurassic [name_u]Park[/name_u] should be added to my list as well.

1 Like

Love [name_m]Edward[/name_m] Scissorhands, [name_f]Elf[/name_f], Emperors [name_u]New[/name_u] Groove, The [name_u]Fox[/name_u] and the Hound, Good [name_m]Will[/name_m] Hunting, The Goonies, Into The Spider-[name_u]Verse[/name_u], Joker, [name_f]Lilo[/name_f] & Stitch, [name_f]Moana[/name_f], [name_f]Mulan[/name_f], [name_u]Night[/name_u] at the Museum, The Outsiders, Psycho, Rocketman, Saw, Scooby Doo, Scream, The Shining, [name_m]Tommy[/name_m] Boy & Top [name_m]Gun[/name_m].

I’m not really sure what movies I love would fall into the cultural impact category. With my nephews though, we have watched (that I can remember):
All the “Batman” films
All the “Back To The [name_u]Future[/name_u]” films
The original “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” film
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]
All the “Ghostbusters” films

2 Likes

There’s a lot of fun movies on here! I think it definitely depends on the family, and not every person will have watched the same movies. I should start to compile a list like this!

1 Like

These are some of my favorite series if you’re ever hungry for a marathon

1. The Hobbit, then The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings. That order is best, as the hobbit takes place earlier, and lord of the rings was a cinamatic masterpiece when it first came out. If you are a real nerd, you should watch the extended versions.
  2. The Star wars movies are definitely classics, and you should watch all 9 in order at least once.
  3. Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m] is another classic, and even if you’ve read the books, you can still enjoy the movies. (Altough the books are arguably better)
  4. The Avengers, [name_m]Even[/name_m] though all of the Avenger movies are fairly recent, most of the movies are really good, and it is exciting to see how everything ties together.

I just watched the Hobbit and [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings films for the first time this year and I definitely enjoyed the Lotr films. Unfortunately I didn’t really like the Hobbit films but I watched them after the lotr. I’m glad I did that order though because I don’t think I would have kept going with the series if I did the hobbit first.
I love [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars and have seen all the movies including [name_u]Solo[/name_u] and [name_u]Rogue[/name_u] One. If watching them with my kids in the future I will do all of them in order but on my own I won’t watch episode one or solo again.
I have watched all the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] movies countless times and I’m sure my kids will be big potterheads too. The third one is definitely my favorite and the one I’ve seen the most.
I have watched all of the McU movies and will definitely do it again (although I don’t really want to watch the first 2 [name_m]Thor[/name_m] movies again and don’t really like the [name_m]Iron[/name_m] [name_m]Man[/name_m] movies much)

1 Like

The Hobbit movies were disappointing, but the casting and soundtrack was good!

yeah, I definitely liked The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings better than The Hobbit, but the movie versions of The Hobbit are much better than the book, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I love the [name_f]Misty[/name_f] Mountains song!

3 Likes

That was stuck in my head for years after watching the movie; it’s so hauntingly gorgeous!

1 Like

I’ve finally found someone who agrees with me! :sweat_smile: I just read The Hobbit for the first time this year, and I liked it, but I love the movies more. Everyone thinks I’m crazy for saying that, but I just prefer some of the story elements that they updated or tweaked in the movies. I haven’t yet read The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings but I love those movies so much!

@Mickeywich I adore the [name_f]Misty[/name_f] Mountains song! I’m going to be singing it the rest of the day now :blush:

1 Like

I love the idea of putting together a list of movies to share with my kids! I think I subconsciously have done that with movies I really enjoyed, but I’ve never compiled an actual list before. I’ll have to start doing that :thinking: The [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Bride[/name_f] will automatically be #1!

2 Likes

The movie made certain parts of the plot more prominent than they were in the book, like with [name_m]Bard[/name_m] (that one guy who shoots the big arrow and kills the dragon) They also added characters like [name_f]Tauriel[/name_f], and put in some romance…like with [name_f]Tauriel[/name_f]. I think a lot of it had to do with how much they needed to streach it out, as there was only. Also the ending of the last movie was really sad, and I don’t think the book invoked the same emotion.

P.S [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Bride[/name_f] is the best!

As someone who loves creating writing (hence my username :joy:), I really enjoy well-written character development. I definitely feel like there was more of that in the movie than the book, especially for [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] (which is not to say there wasn’t good development in the book, I just like how the movies did it better, such as giving him a personal grudge with the elves and more of a guarded nature based on all he had been through). Also [name_m]Bard[/name_m] and [name_f]Tauriel[/name_f] are epic :slight_smile:
I agree that the ending of the book wasn’t as emotional. It was one thing to read about certain characters and then have a quick explanation of their fate, but to watch the characters on-screen-- seeing them for the first time, watching them grow, and then having to watch their fate play out-- left so much more of an impact on me. It still makes me emotional to watch those scenes, and I’ve seen the movies several times! The cast was absolutely incredible in their roles!!

It’s been a while since I’ve read the book, so I pulled it out and Thorin’s death was only two pages, and it’s not very emotional either. Also,[name_m]Thorin[/name_m]’s character arc was better in the movies. I think it worked better on screen, partially because of some of the character edits they made, and because you really get to see the emotion.

1 Like

Agreed. I remember reading it and thinking, “That’s it? That’s the only mention we get?” Having seen the movies first, I was expecting something more… glorious, I guess.The description of his and Kili’s and Fili’s deaths in the book felt so impersonal compared to the movie. Considering those are some of my favorites, it made me appreciate the depth and emotion of the movies even more. Had I read the book first, I believe I would probably feel differently, but I had seen the movies a few times each before I finally read it.

I think I watched the movies before I read the book as well, but I didn’t really remember it then. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom loves the lotr movies though, so when she saw me reading The Hobbit, she decided we would watch all of the movies when I was done reading the book. I was certainly suprised to say the least. Kili and Fili were also some of my favorite characters, and I don’t think the book did them justice. There were 3 movies, so I obviously felt more attached to them than I did when reading the book. Their deaths were a big part of what made the ending so emotional, especially because of the romace they added.

Some good dramas:
Bicentennial [name_m]Man[/name_m] was a really good movie, very dramatic and a tear jerker, but life-changing.
Also:
A Beautiful Mind
Revolutionary Road
Road to Perdition
Goodfellas (my fave of all time)
A League of their Own
Acrimony
Sleeping with the Enemy
The Patriot
Lawless

1 Like

Sorry for any repeats

Dracula ( [name_m]Bram[/name_m] Stoker) Coppola version.
[name_m]Donnie[/name_m] [name_m]Darko[/name_m]
The [name_u]Green[/name_u] Mile
Shawshank Redemption
Empire of the [name_f]Sun[/name_f]
The Craft
Sleepy Hollow
Return to [name_m]Oz[/name_m]
[name_m]Little[/name_m] Women

These are some films I’ve enjoyed. I am sure there a ton more!