My All-Time Favorite Name!

Hi everyone! I was wondering what you all thought about my all-time favorite name: [name_f]Annelie[/name_f].

Here’s the background: [name_f]Annelie[/name_f], at first glance, does look like some sort of modern combination-name, a squish of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. But it’s not!!! Well, some people may use it like it is. But anyway, it’s a variation of the Nordic name [name_f]Anneli[/name_f], pronounced onna-lee, meaning ‘grace’. I prefer the variation spelling with the ‘e’ at the end. Partly because it helps the name look different from my name, [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], and partly because I just think it looks good!

I love the name so much! I know it’s definitely quite similar to my own name, but I don’t really care. If I do end up naming a future daughter [name_f]Annelie[/name_f], I’ll be called Mom or Mum or Mama anyway, so it wouldn’t matter. Although, if the name was pronounced like anna-lee instead of onna-lee, that would be a bit too close.

My only concerns are that people would think it’s a made up name or always call her [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-lee if I actually named my daughter this. [name_f]My[/name_f] mother had a very Scandinavian name that people are always having trouble pronouncing. She basically given up correcting people at this point. I really don’t want to put a future daughter in that position! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you Berries think this should be a concern?

My favorite middle name combo with [name_f]Annelie[/name_f] is [name_f]Annelie[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is a honor name, and I just love [name_f]Hazel[/name_f].

So, Berries, what do you think? Any opinions or other middle name combinations would be great!
Thanks a bunch,
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]

Hmm…pronunciation definitely might be an issue. I would guess that most [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers would look at it and instinctively think to say “[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-lee”. But I don’t think that should deter you! If you love the name, keep it and just correct people. They’ll get it right if corrected, and who knows? They may end up falling in love with it. Far better to have a unique name that you love than a common one everyone can pronounce that isn’t as special. :slight_smile:

Annelie [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is a stunning combo! Simply perfect.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m glad you like the combo.

I totally agree with this!!!

1 Like

I pronounce it like you :slight_smile: It’s a beautiful name! Sounds familiar but actually unusual. It has a neat sound and look. And I like [name_f]Ann[/name_f]- names so much.

1 Like

Thank you!

I’ve never heard it before. I would instinctively pronounce it [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-lee instead of [name_f]Onna[/name_f]-lee.

1 Like

I do think she’d have the correct the pronunciation a lot -I think you have to decide if your love for the name outweighs the annoyance of having to do that. [name_f]Annelie[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is lovely

1 Like

It’s a nice name, though I personally prefer [name_f]Anneli[/name_f] and think the pronunciation issues would be slightly less with this spelling…people would at least pause before immediately going to [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. I do also think you’re going to get “[name_f]Anna[/name_f]/Ana” as a nickname, whether you like it or not. [name_f]My[/name_f] name constantly gets shortened to its first three letters, even when introducing myself by full name. I like your combo, it flows well.

1 Like

@Greyblue You have a great point. I think I do love it enough that I could ignore the annoyance.
@Scottie491 You’re probably right about the [name_f]Anneli[/name_f] spelling. I like it almost as much. But it doesn’t look as good with the middle names…sigh.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Annelie[/name_f]! I agree with the previous posters that you shouldn’t let possible pronunciation issues get in your way! Using the name you love is always the best option, even if you might have to correct others.

Annelie [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is so pretty!

1 Like

I think it’s beautiful. Like other people said, it’s not terribly difficult to correct pronunciation, and it’s intuitive enough that I’m sure you won’t have to repeat the correction more than once.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty but would cause problems. Would you like [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]? It’s pronounced very similarly

1 Like