My babies and why they have their names...

[name]Mason[/name] was to be [name]Benjamin[/name], and there was another boy born while I was preggers in the fam that named him [name]Benjamin[/name], so [name]Mason[/name] was my 2nd choice. [name]Shane[/name], his MN, is his daddy’s MN too. [name]Madison[/name] is [name]Maddie[/name] because daddy always loved the name and we had no idea til birth she was a girl, so I told him if she was he could have his wish, and her MN, [name]Camille[/name] is hubbys Grams name, she had so many grandbabies and greatgrandbabies and NOT ONE named for her, so I vowed to name my daughter after her, and I did. Not unusual names but they have meanings to us :slight_smile:

my baby girls name is [name]Violet[/name] [name]Sadie[/name]

My twins are [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Rae[/name] and [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Gray[/name].
[name]Lizzie[/name] was named after her grandma, and I fell in love with the name a long time ago. [name]Rae[/name] is for my husband’s aunt, [name]Rachel[/name], who died around the time [name]Lizzie[/name] and [name]Elliot[/name] were born. [name]Elliot[/name] is a name we both love, and it has a plus as it’s [name]Elliot[/name]'s grandfather’s name. [name]Gray[/name] is my maiden name and just happened to rhyme with [name]Rae[/name]. They now have a sister, [name]Vera[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name], whose name is a combo of our absolute favorites that we think should be revived. By the way, we pronounce [name]Vera[/name] VAIR-ah instead of [name]VEER[/name]-ah. It is so much prettier that way, and since [name]Verity[/name] is pronounced like that, I always thought [name]Vera[/name] was like that too.

What a great combination–the sweet and the sassy!

Well, my kids range in age from 22 to 4 but their names are:

[name]Leo[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name] [name]Coe[/name] & [name]Simon[/name] [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Nash[/name] (22, twins)
[name]Leo[/name] & [name]Simon[/name] were Uncles, [name]Leo[/name] on my side, [name]Simon[/name] on my partners. [name]Sebastian[/name] was a Great Uncle of mine, [name]Ambrose[/name] was his Grandfather. [name]Coe[/name] is one of my family surnames, used on yet another Uncle and [name]Nash[/name] was his mother’s maiden name.

our daughter is [name]Josephine[/name] Rosamel [name]Anne[/name] (4)
[name]Josephine[/name] was my mother’s oldest sister, Rosamel was my paternal Great Grandmother (bonus points, I knew her as a kid) and Her name was her mother’s maiden name. [name]Anne[/name] honors four different Aunts, two [name]Anne[/name]'s, one [name]Ann[/name] and one [name]Anna[/name]. I just prefer the [name]Anne[/name] spelling over all others.

I grew up hating my name and so have been wondering if she will like hers, so far, I’m happy to say, she does. (I was choosing other names to be called by 2, she has never done that)

My son is [name]Peter[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name]. He is 22 years old. I wanted to name him [name]Ian[/name] [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Evan[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] or [name]Jackson[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]. Or even [name]Hunter[/name]. My husband said he hated all those names. I said, what do you like, classic names? I told him my favorite classic name is [name]Peter[/name]. He said he loved [name]Peter[/name]. So by the time I was maybe eight weeks pregnant, we had our baby’s first name all set if it was a boy. And he was! To make up for not liking any of my original choices, my husband said I could pick any middle name I wanted. So I picked [name]Sebastian[/name]. At the time my husband hated that choice but kept his mouth shut about it, but now he likes it okay. [name]Peter[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name] loves both his names fortunately. Then we got pregnant again. It was very important to me that my husband would like our children’s names because my mom picked my name and my father hated it. [name]Susan[/name] was my middle name-I will not tell you my first name because I don’t want to offend anybody. So I kept asking my husband if he liked this name or that name and he only wanted to name a girl [name]Laura[/name] after his grandmother. He was adament. I found it very healing for me when my daughter was born to let my husband choose her first name. Then I picked her middle name-[name]Elizabeth[/name]-because when all was said and done, I decided that [name]Elizabeth[/name] is my favorite girl’s name plus we have a ton of Elizabeths on both sides of the family. [name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] loves both her names now that she is a teenager and does not like many of the name choices that I was thinking of when I was pregnant. [name]Laura[/name] has more frilly/girly classic taste than I have.

The baby name gurus want to know how I picked my kids’ names? Somebody pinch me!

I have an eight year-old boy, [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Kennedy[/name], and a 5 year-old girl, [name]Macy[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name]. [name]Spencer[/name] was simply always a favorite, and I had a great Uncle [name]Spence[/name] I have very fond memories of. [name]Kennedy[/name] was the maiden name of Dad’s grandmother; bonus points for paying homage to JFK and JFK [name]Jr[/name].

[name]Macy[/name] I was attracted to the first time I heard it, for reasons I can’t even articulate very well; it just sounds so bright and shiny, stylish but not trendy. And, I really love surnames. My brother is [name]Wayne[/name], and since both of our names were originally surnames, I thought it’d be nifty to stay in that vein. Plus, I do think sib’s names should be somehow similar in style.

Neither name was in even the top 100 (REALLY important), and [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s favorable reviews sealed the deal!

I had intended for [name]Macy[/name]'s MN to be [name]Katherine[/name], a hard “K” sound like her brother’s MN. At the hospital my mom suggested I spell it “[name]Kathryn[/name],” and I was medicated enough to be happily agreeable. I could’ve done worse: any more Demerol and I would have agreed to name her [name]Rainbow[/name] Sprite.

[name]Lola[/name], you had me at keeping keeping boys’ names for boys. Your kids’ names are brilliant! [name]Do[/name] people call your daughter [name]Jo[/name]? Rosamel is one of the most intriguing choices I’ve ever heard, you should suggest it to [name]Verity[/name]. So now I have to know: is your name really [name]Lola[/name]??

LOL. It’s funny the way everything, even baby names, looks different on the other end of childbirth…

No, [name]Jo[/name] is rather verboten as I have 12 cousins named [name]Joseph[/name] (for the same Gagi [name]Josephine[/name] was named for) My mother’s oldest sister was named [name]Josephine[/name] for him and my daughter is named for her Great Aunt. joe, [name]Jojo[/name], [name]Joey[/name], Jobo, Jambo and F (yeah) are some of the various nicknames used by the Josephs. So [name]Josephine[/name] goes by [name]Josie[/name], [name]Effie[/name], [name]Fifi[/name], or [name]Fee[/name], depending on her (and our) mood. Maybe I should suggest Rosamel to [name]Verity[/name] but I really know my G/ Grandmother got it as a fluke, it really is a surname with not a lot of usage as a first/middle. Which is why [name]Josephine[/name] has it in the middle (rather than has her first).

And for the record, my name is boring old [name]Laura[/name]. My kid brother’s been calling me [name]Lola[/name] since he was 2, He couldn’t say 'r’s as a little kid and [name]Laura[/name] came out low-la , hence [name]Lola[/name]. My folks thought it was cute and let it stick. I’ve been [name]Lola[/name] to my siblings (there are three of us), my other half and friends call me [name]Lola[/name] as well. Only the school calls me [name]Laura[/name]! :slight_smile: So while it’s not my name, it’s as good as! <grin>

This is a great topic. Can a stepmom-in-training and a name nut join in with her fantasy choices? :slight_smile:

I really want a girl because…a) my fianc” has two sons, b) my mother is one of nine kids, seven of whom were male, c) I have 26 cousins, 20 of them male, d) I have a brother but no sisters, and e) I have more fun picking girls’ names I love than boys’. But, because of all those guys in my family, I suspect if I have a baby it will be a boy. (Does anyone know if a tendency towards one gender or the other is hereditary, or do we get the same 50-50 chance as anybody else?)

Anyway, for the boy I expect I’d have, I would name him [name]Christian[/name] [name]Stephen[/name]. [name]Christian[/name] is my favorite name for a boy (on a purely secular basis, because I really like the sound of the name), and [name]Stephen[/name] is for my dad who passed away just two months ago.

For a girl I would probably name her Susina…middle name uncertain, but the one I like the most, that seems to go with the name, would be [name]Julianne[/name]. I like [name]Julianna[/name], [name]Julie[/name] and [name]Julianne[/name] (in no particular order) but the last seems to have the best rhythm.

Where does the “Susina” come from? I look at it as an unusual variation on [name]Susan[/name], which is one of my perennial favorites. I knew a girl in my Girl [name]Scout[/name] troop as a preteen whose surname was Susina, and I fell instantly in love with it and thought it would make a wonderful girl’s name. It’s unusual but not so much that it gets strange looks from people who might ask. And I don’t think anyone else in the country has ever used it, as far as I know. It certainly has never appeared in any name books I’ve read.

My twins (3 next month!) are:

[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Claire[/name] & [name]John[/name] “[name]Jack[/name]” [name]William[/name]

[name]Annabel[/name] was named after my grandmother, [name]Ann[/name], & my great-grandmother, [name]Janie[/name] [name]Belle[/name]. I always liked the very popular [name]Isabelle[/name], but wanted something less common that had a family connection. [name]Claire[/name] is a name I just love and love the meaning of. If her middle name wasn’t [name]Claire[/name], I would consider naming another daughter [name]Clara[/name]. I chose the [name]Annabel[/name] over the [name]Annabelle[/name] spelling because I think it looks more streamlined, less “frilly” for a name that is quite frilly enough!

My husband basically lobbied hard for our son’s name - he is named after my husband’s grandfathers, [name]John[/name] & [name]William[/name], (DH is [name]William[/name], called [name]Will[/name]) and called [name]Jack[/name] after (1) my dad, who is just “[name]Jack[/name]” and (2) is is DH’s all-time favorite boys’ name. He just had to have a little [name]Jack[/name]. I would have just gone with [name]Jack[/name], not [name]John[/name] nn [name]Jack[/name], but DH was insistent! I also probably would have picked a name that was a bit more unusual, but still classic, but I do love [name]Jack[/name] - it is a great name.

Bostonian girl, I’m pretty sure you’ve got a 50/50 chance of a boy or girl every time. [name]Remember[/name], it’s the father that determines sex when the egg is fertilized by an XX or XY chromosome. That said, some people (and there are books about this) think there are ways you can improve your odds. I think it has to do with timing based on whether mom’s body is more or less acidic/alkaline during different times of the month, and how one climate is hospitable or not to XX/XY sperm.

my baby name is ([name]Tita[/name]). in ancient java language means ‘happiness’,in sanskrit it means ‘faith’ we both hope she will always happy for the rest of her life, means’ the dawn’, refers to to the time she was born. then Kusuma is one of her granpa’s name, beside it also a name for the most aromatic flower.

btw i came from indonesia. I’ve seen your section of Indonesian name, and i found it hard for not laughing. Sorry, i didn’t mean to be rude.I understand that you don’t know my country well. But honestly, nobody here will refers their child with ‘meritja or harimau etc’, it doesn’t even a name. So please don’t put that words there…poor those kids whom parents named them with ‘meritja’

Here i tell you some names that usually use here. These names is sooo indonesia :

For girl :
[name]Indah[/name] = pretty
putri = princess, daughter
[name]Ayu[/name] = very feminine, beautiful
ratih = the most beautiful godness
[name]Harum[/name] = aromatic
[name]Tyas[/name] = heart of heart
[name]Laras[/name] = [name]Calm[/name]

If you use it together, like ‘[name]Ayu[/name]’ joined with ‘[name]Tyas[/name]’ it become ‘Ayuningtyas’ means beautiful heart.

For boy :
[name]Bayu[/name] = the wind
[name]Lintang[/name] (or bintang) = The star
Bagaskara (or bagas or [name]Baskara[/name]) = the sun
jati = honest
Adhitya (or adhit) = prince
[name]Satriya[/name] : [name]Knight[/name]
[name]Jaka[/name] = young man
[name]Agung[/name] = the ‘Great’

Thank you sooooo much! I am going to add the names you suggested right now and get rid of the ridiculous ones! It can be really difficult from outside a culture to tell which names are realistic and which are absurd – we definitely appreciate the inside information.

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name] was born 10/30/07. Her Dad is British, and I’ve always loved JD [name]Salinger[/name]'s [name]Phoebe[/name] Caulfield.

[name]Salinger[/name] was such a terrific character namer–[name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Holden[/name], [name]Esme[/name], and [name]Zooey[/name]–who a lot of people forget was the nickname for a boy named [name]Zachary[/name]. [name]Seymour[/name], not so much.

My two daughters are [name]Allegra[/name] [name]Chiara[/name] and [name]Seraphina[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Eugenia[/name].

[name]Allegra[/name] is just a name my husband and I just loved and we loved that the meaning of the name is happy, joyous or lively. [name]Chiara[/name] was just a nice Italian name that we thought flowed nicely with [name]Allegra[/name].

When we found out our second was going to be another girl, we knew we needed to find another Italian name that was unique but not too hard for everyone to say or spell. My great aunt’s name is [name]Serafina[/name] and I have always loved it but spelt with a ‘ph’ and not an ‘f’. I also like that it is derived from the [name]Seraphim[/name] angels who are the highest ranking angels in heaven. Her middle names are [name]Rose[/name], after my mother and [name]Eugenia[/name] after my husbands grandmother.

I like that we dont know anyone else with babies of the same names and that they are elegantly Italian!

My son is [name]Emanuel[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]. I’ve loved that name since a was probably about six or seven I’ve always like the sound of [name]Emanuel[/name], but now that I’m older I like that it can be a reminder to my son that God is always with him. [name]Thomas[/name] is my dad’s name and seemed to flow really well.

My daughter is [name]Symphony[/name] [name]Joy[/name]. My husband always wanted to name a girl [name]Symphony[/name] but he didn’t have a MN in mind. One of my best friends who is also my cousin is named [name]Joy[/name] and I liked the way the name went together; my little joy-song. The NN [name]Sophie[/name] stuck to her, and we like that it’s a simple name that she can have if she doesn’t care for [name]Symphony[/name] when she gets older. [name]Sophie[/name] is also a family name so us “using it” made some relatives quite happy (bonus points).

My 14 month old daughter is [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Lily[/name]. We started trying to have a baby 8 years before we actually got our little one, so we had discussed names in the past and [name]Lily[/name], [name]Isabel[/name], and [name]Hannah[/name] were all on our list… and then eight years passed and they were all much too popular for us. We both have fairly unique names ([name]Jade[/name] and [name]Nigel[/name]) and we both like that we were the only ones with our names when we were in school and enjoy it as adults too. We wanted to give our child that feeling we had: that her name was ‘hers’.

My husband is English and we spent the first four years of our marriage in [name]England[/name]. [name]Imogen[/name] is not an unheard of name there (same story with [name]Jade[/name] and [name]Nigel[/name]), but it’s also not super-popular (although it is getting more popular we hear). It’s a name we both liked and so we chose it. Plus it’s English, so it hints at the paternal half of her heritage.

But not without considerable hemming and hawing. [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Mae[/name] was our top choice up until a few weeks before her birth. We loved that [name]Isadora[/name] was easy to spell and say and that it was kind of like an old favorite ([name]Isabel[/name]). It’s unique and fiesty and we both liked “[name]Izzy[/name]” for a nickname. But sometimes people had a reaction that it sounded like a witch name and as the due date approached, somehow it didn’t seem quite right for us. We toyed with a lot of other possibilities - I liked old Hollywood names ([name]Lena[/name], [name]Ingrid[/name], etc.) and “exotic” names ([name]Marisol[/name], [name]Katya[/name]), my husband liked what I termed “boring” names. But we came together on [name]Imogen[/name].

We chose [name]Lily[/name] for the middle name because it had been our favorite name until we realized how popular it is now. It also flowed nicely with [name]Imogen[/name] and our last name too.

We love her name and our relatives (say they) do too. We had kept it to ourselves until after she was born (we only decided on it for sure after her birth anyway). But we now realize that it’s a little more difficult than we’d anticipated for people in the US - many people say “[name]Imogene[/name]” (yuck!) even when we say “[name]Imogen[/name]” (IM eh jen). While some people say “Oh that’s pretty” or “Oh I like that” we often suspect that those are just kind ways of saying the comment we hear more often, which is “oh that’s different.” We are sure we’ve saddled her with a name she’ll have to spell and repeat for people, which isn’t exactly ideal, but hopefully she will still like her name. We think it’s gorgeous, of course.