My community sounds illiterate!

Here I am trying to keep busy while waiting for my overdue baby and my 8 yo ds brings home his school yearbook. I’m appalled by some of the spellings…I thought I lived in a smarter community :stuck_out_tongue:

Here are some of the names…preschool-3rd grade. The younger grades had more misspellings so it’s getting progressively worse :frowning:

Alexzandyr
Decoda
[name]Terryn[/name]
Logian
[name]Trystin[/name]
Linkin
[name]Harlie[/name]
[name]Taiden[/name]
[name]Cheyann[/name]
Alexz (girl)
[name]Meah[/name]
[name]Zoie[/name]
Madyx (girl)
[name]Chloee[/name]
[name]Aubrie[/name]
[name]Kierstynn[/name]
Eian
[name]Makena[/name]
[name]Trystyn[/name]
[name]Adynn[/name]
Khloee
Braxtn
[name]Abbigail[/name]
[name]Averi[/name]
Kloee
[name]Karsyn[/name]
Jaityn
Maliki
[name]Kaine[/name]
[name]Karsyn[/name] (girl)
Keyton
Brytin
[name]Allysa[/name]
[name]Zoie[/name] again
[name]Kenedy[/name]
[name]Shayne[/name]
Jaxyn
[name]Carlee[/name]
[name]Haily[/name]
Maikol
[name]Emersyn[/name]

I’m tempted to go through and write down all the names that rhyme with [name]Aidan[/name]…another big trend around here. Ugh.

Wow, those are some complicated and clunky spellings! What is wrong with [name]Jackson[/name] and [name]Chloe[/name] and [name]Abigail[/name]? I don’t mind a few “creative spellings” like maybe one letter different or extra but these are pretty crazy!

Hey don’t hate on my name spelling :wink: It was an unpopular name when I was born. Now when I have kids, my name will look like I’m the child :wink: I hated spelling it growing up, though :stuck_out_tongue:

This is just a guess on my part but … I have a very strong feeling that the next generation aren’t going to be known for their spelling ability. The generation after them may not even know what is the “original” or “correct” way to spell any name. Sad really.

I’m okay if they only change one letter, but some of these spellings are ridiculous.

I’m sorry [name]Zoie[/name], not meant to offend you at all…my name is actually a name that has about a zillion different spellings and two legitimate spellings and used to be boys name that went to the girls in the 80s so…I feel ya :slight_smile:

Wow some of those are really bad! I’ve actually seen quite a few [name]Zoie[/name]'s so I’ve kind of learned to accept that one… And the only other one I think can be pardoned from the “bad” list is [name]Makena[/name], because that’s actually a Hawaiian word/place/name…but you never know if the parents actually know that or not!

Hey, they’ll all look normal on text messages!

I agree! You never know though, the cool/trendy thing to do for the next generation might be to go back to the original spellings! Let’s hope so anyways.

The worst one in my community is [name]Savannah[/name]. We live in GA, very close to [name]Savannah[/name], and I know:

[name]Savanah[/name], [name]Savana[/name], and [name]Savanna[/name]- All three of their moms told me, “So it wouldn’t be exactly like the city of [name]Savannah[/name]…”

Umm, well…it’s not!

Lol, so true.

I agree so much! I work extra hard with my boys on spelling…I know they’ll need all the help they can get in an age where everythings spelled wrong, abbreviated, etc.

Lol I was just kidding :wink: and it sucks having a name with a bunch of common spellings. My SO’s parents still call me [name]Zoey[/name]. -.- It wasn’t too bad growing up, but all I had to say was “[name]Zoe[/name] with an i before the e” now poor little Alexzandyr… He’s going to have lots of trouble with that. :frowning:

It makes sense to me. A lot of parents of young kids grew up as [name]Jen[/name] B. or [name]Jen[/name] Y. ect that made them value unique names above all else. And they probably grew up loving [name]Chloe[/name] & [name]Bella[/name] and loving how rare & special they felt. So that explains Klooee & Izybella ect. once all of those special feeling names stopped feeling so special.

[name]Every[/name] parent wants to give something to their child with their name choice & it looks like different & special was the intention here!

A lot of Berries look down on these names…yourself included it seems.

I wouldn’t use any of these names but I don’t stand in harsher judgment of them than some of the pretentious stuff I often see on here…

Calling your community illiterate is pretty harsh.

[name]Shayne[/name] and [name]Makena[/name] don’t look so bad to me, but overwhelmingly the spelling and letter substitution is hard to look at…

[name]One[/name] definition of illiteracy is: “Displaying a marked lack of knowledge in a particular field.” So, in this case - as names have correct spellings just the same as other words in the English language - it would seem that parents have a marked lack of knowledge in the execution of spelling certain names.

You wouldn’t go around spelling chair, cloud and flapjack as khaer, klowed and phlapgaq. So why is spelling names wrong considered acceptable?

I’m lost for words after reading that list…

We shoulde pretende that this is a kindrid era to that of Elizabethan times, an epoche in which names and words were never misspelt–only more decorativ and free from restrictionnes. (sic)

@Renrose - very well said. I couldn’t agree more. :slight_smile:

I don’t think spelling chair as khaer is the same because it has one spelling while names have many spellings from region to region & that have become common over time like [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Kathryn[/name] or [name]Cathryn[/name]. I think because names are how we identify ourselves the spellings & pronunciations aren’t as set in stone and are likely to change & shift faster than the rest of language.

I think comparing the real problem of illiteracy to the personal choice to spell your child’s name differently is harsh.

I love talking about names, not sitting in judgment of people because I am bored. To me it’s more interesting to think about why people do or don’t gravitate toward Y heavy names & if they’re dated or not rather than list a bunch of actual children’s names & talk about how much better we all must be than their parents.