My daughter is 3 and I haven't liked her name since she was about 6 months!!!!

I had my daughter in 2008 and knew nothing about names. I had no idea what was popular and even what style I really liked. [name]Even[/name] still my husband and I didn’t really agree on any, until he suggested [name]Chloe[/name]. I said yeah, I kinda like it. And so we named our daughter [name]Chloe[/name]. It bothers me almost daily that her name is so popular! My husband has always loved it, and reassures me by telling me she’s our [name]Chloe[/name]. Sometimes it helps, but mostly it doesn’t. I wish I could go back and name her differently!! Any advice on how to come to terms with this? Anyone else feel this way??

[name]Hi[/name] cocobean,

Why don’t you like [name]Chloe[/name]? What is her middle name? What other names were you considering before daughter was born? What names do you wish you had chosen? [name]Just[/name] some questions to get to the bottom of your angst. :slight_smile:

I really don’t like how popular it has become. She’s such a unique girl and I don’t want her to be one of five [name]Chloe[/name]'s in a class. Her middle name is [name]Catherine[/name] after my mother in law. Other names I liked then are different from the ones I would chose now. A couple names I had wanted to name her were, [name]Henrietta[/name] after my grandmother, [name]Victoria[/name] or [name]Isadora[/name]. Now, I might chose [name]Uma[/name], [name]Colette[/name], [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Sasha[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name]… The list goes on… I can’t stand having this regret. I wish I could call out a name at the playground that I loved.

[name]Chloe[/name] is actuallt growing on me as a name…it’s cute

My sister changed her little girls name when she turned 2 years old. Her reasoning was she didn’t want to stick her kid with a name that she would regret the rest of her life when she could change it and start over. I see no problem in changing your child’s name…that is if she’ll let you…

Why not call her by a nn that you love instead of her given name? You could call her Lo or come up with a nn based on her personality, hair color, or some other physical trait. Or call her by her mn or a derivative of her mn. No advice on how to come to terms with her name but I hope you eventually do. It is a nice name, very popular yes but nice.

[name]Just[/name] because your daughter’s name is [name]Chloe[/name] doesn’t mean you have to call her that or anything remotely similar to it. I know families where all of the children go by their middle names. Other times, juniors need separate names from their fathers’ names, so they are called by their middle names or something else entirely.

[name]One[/name] option would be to give her a nickname that corresponds with her first name. This might be [name]Clo[/name], [name]Lola[/name], [name]Lulu[/name], [name]Coco[/name], or [name]Cleo[/name]. These could all be derived from [name]Chloe[/name] but do not even have to sound like it exactly.

Another option could be to call her C.C. after her initials. Or, you could call her by her middle name. There are also many wonderful and diverse nicknames for [name]Catherine[/name]. [name]How[/name] about [name]Cate[/name], [name]Cat[/name], [name]Katie[/name], [name]Kitty[/name], [name]Kit[/name], [name]Kay[/name], [name]Cato[/name], [name]Attie[/name], [name]Erin[/name], or [name]Rina[/name]?

Finally, you could also come up with a nickname that fits her in some way but does not have anything to do with either of her names.

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

What about making her name more unique by calling her [name]Chloe[/name]-[name]Cate[/name]? That is very cute and different.

emiliaj

I have an [name]Aidan[/name]. When I named him I didn’t know anyone with that and neither did our friends and family. Of course it is a wildly popular name with all it’s various spellings. I didn’t realise until I went to get his first vaccinations and they called ‘[name]Aidan[/name]’ and 5 mums stood up. I was gutted for a while, but after a while realised how much I loved the name on him. It suits him and I can’t imagine him being called anything else, even if there are a lot more less popular names I like.

I think you’re focussing on it too much. It’s only a recent phenomenon that we want our children’s names to be individual. But it’s actually very hard. if you put names you think are uncommon into Facebook, even with surnames you’ll often come up with a few to a lot of matches. Try and focus on your beautiful daughter and how she makes the name special. Or do what the pp suggest and try and come up with a compromise name, though I think it would be confusing to totally change her name now. My 3 year old knows his name and is very proud of it.

Make peace with this. For us name nerds we will always be charmed by other names. [name]Chloe[/name] is a good name and a lovely choice. Pretty, and upbeat and with a good history to boot. I agree that you could make it your own if you wish C.C. and [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Cate[/name] are adorable and would be special just for you and her. And remember a name in the end is just a name and nothing at all to do with your beautiful and precious little girl. It would be wrong to get to hung up on it.

I have a gorgeous gdaughter named [name]Chloe[/name] and it suits her so well, and as you know it is a French name so why not say it the French way? I understand that they say it like [name]Clo[/name] aye, that is the acute accent on the ‘e’. Would that difference help you like it more? If not I agree with a previous poster give her a special nn that you love for example [name]Coco[/name] would be a very French and hip kind of nn for a [name]Chloe[/name] in my opinion.

rollo

I have a three year old and he is VERY much his own person- I don’t want to be harsh but I think you missed the window on changing her name. A new nn is one thing but changing it entirely seems pretty over the top. I think [name]Chloe[/name] is a beautiful name with a ton of options to use a nn and make it more unique to make yourself happy. I think as a mother it can be hard to remember that our kids are individual little people and not necessarily “ours” in all respects. Sure, it would be great for you to love her name but at the end of the day it’s hers, not yours, you know? You don’t have to love it- maybe she does.
If she was a baby I would say change it but at this point I wouldn’t.

Cocobean, I feel your pain. [name]Baby[/name] name regret is real and it can be intense. I think you know in your heart that you basically have a choice between a couple of difficult options at this late date: Continue to live with a name you’re not crazy about or make a change – official or informal – that will probably be difficult for everyone to get used to (and that your husband may actively resist).

We had a great guest blog on this topic that might enlighten the issue and will definitely amuse you: Help My Husband Name Our Baby | Nameberry

I don’t know whether you’ll find this comforting, but I’ll say that after living with a name for three years, many parents feel some pangs for the names not chosen or the problems not anticipated. My daughter [name]Rory[/name]'s name was so difficult for people to understand and always had to be spelled out, for instance, which made me wish I’d chosen something that didn’t require an explanation. [name]Owen[/name]'s name got a lot more popular, and while we always called our older son [name]Joe[/name], a lot of other people changed that to [name]Joey[/name]. Or you come upon a name you love that just never occurred to you before and you think: Why didn’t I pick that?

Trying out some different options, as [name]Nina[/name] Badzin did, might be a good idea. Maybe one of them will stick! Or maybe you’ll come to feel more settled with [name]Chloe[/name] – which is, after all, a really lovely name.

Call he coco! I love that name and have heard it used for a [name]Chloe[/name] i know. super cute!

I love [name]Chloe[/name]-cate!

I think it’s a bad idea to change it at this point. Her name is tied into her identity at the age of three and to say youre unhappy with that because it isnt good enough would send a mixed message to a small child.

[name]Chloe[/name] is a lovely name, you need to accept this, use a nn or whatever you have to do and move on ([name]IMO[/name]).

I agree completely.

Letting go of regret (about anything) is hard, but I think you need to try your best to do so. Other than calling [name]Chloe[/name] by her middle name or primarily by a nickname, I don’t think you have any other options.

You’ve been given a lot of great nickname options, so I’ll try to give you other things to think about. :slight_smile:

Your daughter was given your husband’s favorite name and, from your post, it sounds like he still delights in it. That’s a really wonderful “gift” to give the man you love, and you managed to do it with a lovely name like [name]Chloe[/name]. My bf only seems to suggest names from video games and anime, so I envy you a little in this.

Popularity itself has changed. Yes, [name]Chloe[/name] is a popular name, but naming your daughter [name]Chloe[/name] in 2008 is not like naming her [name]Jennifer[/name] in 1970. She may end up having other Chloes in her classes, but she may not. It’s a real possibility; my son was born in '06, and there are only two kids with Top 10 names in his class…and there are no repeated names.

[name]Chloe[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] really is beautiful. Instead of focusing on [name]Chloe[/name]'s popularity, try to spend some time each day focusing on other aspects of the name. It’s a rare name that manages to be upbeat, high-energy, and sweet and have ancient, mythological roots at the same time. [name]Chloe[/name] is so green and spring-like. I always get a mental picture of tender, green shoots rising up from the earth when I hear it. It’s a lovely thought. There are so many reasons why [name]Chloe[/name] is worth liking. [name]Don[/name]'t get bogged down in popularity concerns or what you think you could or should have done three years ago.

Good luck.

I have had namer’s remorse, and I know just how awful it can be. The only thing I can tell you is that it is something you can get passed. You can do it. My daughter’s name, [name]Grace[/name], is very popular and DH really loved, while I just liked it. I was able to get over the fact that I disliked the name so much by calling her a plethora of nicknames, mostly derived from her middle. I had to come to terms with the fact that it is her name. My remorse was my problem, not hers, not my husband’s.

I also discovered that my remorse was part of a deeper problem. I had a condition in pregnancy that left me depressed, scared, and paranoid. And I was placing all of those feelings on her name. It was a choice I wasn’t able to make. I don’t remember talking about names with my husband, I don’t remember naming my daughter. It was just one more decision my disease made for me. All of my resentment for my condition was placed on her name. I eventually had to just let it go. And when I did that, it felt wonderful.

Now, your resentment may not be as deep as mine. Maybe you really just hate the name. But I encourage you to try to get passed it. Find a part of your daughter that is enchanting (which, I’m sure is easy). Maybe she has rosy cheeks ([name]Rosie[/name]), maybe she has golden hair ([name]Goldie[/name]), maybe she loves hats ([name]Hattie[/name]).

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Cate[/name]:slight_smile: I would go for that if I were you. very unique and sweet…