my DH begged me to name our DD Juliet... HELP!

HA! This is not the end of the world, I know, but DH LOVES THE NAME [name]JULIE[/name]. I am not kidding. There is a wierd, deep infatuation with him. He just adores the name. Has always begged me to use it. But the kicker is I HATE [name]JULIE[/name]. Like, want to scream, throw up in mouth, hurt someone kind of hate (ok, that is a bit extreme but you get the picture). He honestly does NOT CARE about names like I do and has many, many times said, if you love it honey I really don’t care. I know he will go along with any name and love it just fine. He just really likes [name]Juliet[/name]. He promised not to call her [name]Julie[/name] (he even swore to my “deal” of paying me $100 every time he said it, lol) but I know it’ll happen. If not from him, from family, friends, strangers, OR just from her, if she prefers it later in life. OR from HER friends. Big deal? [name]Kinda[/name]. For me. I really want a major attachment to her name. This is my last baby. Last daughter. I’ve been in love with a few names for [name]EVER[/name] and I’d be sad to go with one Im luke warm on… at best.

He also told me he loves [name]Maeve[/name]. He envisions [name]Ireland[/name] (his ancestry) and green fields. I like it to, but feel that next to the very girly [name]Annabel[/name], that [name]Maeve[/name] may feel short handed?? [name]Maeve[/name] is gorgeous but no cute nicknames like [name]Annabel[/name] has, or flowy girliness. Does that matter? I told him we could do [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] and he could still call her [name]Jules[/name] if he wanted. We both like MJ.

The other name he LOVES is [name]Olive[/name]. He never used to love it but now he does.

He still does love [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Daphne[/name], but he said [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Maeve[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] (and [name]Juliet[/name]) would be his favorites.

Please. Any thoughts on this? I’d like to have my poor DH like her name but I want to love it, also. And in all fairness, it matters more to me than him (he admits this). Thoughts on these names and how they compare to [name]Annabel[/name] (and brothers [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name])?

ETA: Annabel is my daughter… not a name we are considering:)

If you hate it that much, I say do not use it. You will be unhappy and it is not right. Since it matters more to you I think you should go with a fn you love and use [name]Juliet[/name] as a mn. :slight_smile:

[name]Annabel[/name] - it seems like you have your heart kind of set on [name]Annabel[/name]. I like [name]Annabel/name a lot - it has actually just made it onto my top 50 list. I think it works really well with [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name] and a sib-set.
[name]Maeve[/name] - To me this name evokes feelings and visions of forest nymphs and fairies - but not the overly happy kind but the miscevious fae and far-kin type. Traditional and yet spunky. I think it would make a great fn or mn.
[name]Juliet[/name] - I’ve loved [name]Juliet[/name] for a while but I agree with you that [name]Julie[/name] is awful and I’m not a fan of [name]Jules[/name] either. (My niece is [name]Julie[/name] and one of my best friends [name]Jules[/name] and I’m still not convinced.) Though a friend of mine gave her children names that have obvious nn’s like [name]Christopher[/name] ([name]Chris[/name] and [name]Topher[/name]) but she hated both and insisted that their names never be shortened. In fact the kids have gotten so used to it that they don’t like their names being shortened either. I think if you go with [name]Juliet[/name] but insist that it never be shortened (it’s not like it’s soo long) you might have to fight for it but it’s a battle you can absolutely win.
[name]Olive[/name] - I love [name]Olive[/name] (much more that [name]Olivia[/name] in fact) but prefer your other choices more.
[name]Fiona[/name] - my Top 10 list. 'Nuff said.
[name]Daphne[/name] - nms. I know it’s a Greek Nymph name and while I usually like those this one makes me think of ditzy sorority girls and mean girl types.

I think [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] would be beautiful combo’s with your boys names and would allow you to choose [name]Annabel[/name] with it’s many nn options and still honor your husbands favorite name and/or heritage without having to worry about nn’s you dislike. (If you were taking a poll I’d vote for [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]).

PP^^^ I’m so sorry for the confusion, i already HAVE a daughter named [name]Annabel[/name]. I was asking if [name]Maeve[/name] complimented her as a [name]SISTER[/name]:slight_smile: Sorry, again, for the confusion.

We have had to compromise on our kids names too. There are ones that we each adore but the other can’t stand! Sad but true. [name]Julie[/name] is kind of dated to me honestly (makes me think of the 70’s) but [name]Julia[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], Julliann/e or [name]Julianna[/name] are nice imho if you also enjoy how they sound.

I really like [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] too. It flows well, is pretty and has meaning for both you and your DH. [name]One[/name] nn option could be AnnaMay. :slight_smile:

Another option to [name]Julie[/name], if he’s still stuck on that name, is [name]Juliana[/name]… It combines part of your [name]Annabel[/name] with part of his [name]Juliet[/name]. [name]Juliana[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] works imo. You could nn her JM =[name]Jem[/name] or [name]Jemma[/name] or [name]Jemmy[/name] to get away from the [name]Jules[/name]/[name]Julie[/name] nns or still nn her AnnaMay.

I’m not a fan of [name]Maeve[/name] in the first spot, especially paired with [name]Juliet[/name]. The flow feels wrong.

Other combos I like from your list:
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
(neither of these combos work with [name]Maeve[/name] as a fn either, flow wise, imo)
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]

These all work with [name]Owen[/name] & [name]Sullivan[/name] imo.

I think [name]Daphne[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name] are cute together. If you don’t like any of his other names, the only place I would put them is in the middle spot…otherwise I think you would always regret her names.

What do you think about the name [name]Jewel[/name]? [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Jewel[/name] has a really nice ring to it and It seems like [name]Jewel[/name] could be a good compromise. Btw I didn’t see you mention any names u love.

Okay, he loves the name [name]Juliet[/name], you don’t like [name]Julie[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t call her [name]Julie[/name]. It’s not likely to happen anyways.

I don’t think it’s fair to skip a name that he loves so much just because you don’t like the idea that she might be called [name]Julie[/name].

[name]Annabel[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] is lovely, spell it [name]Juliette[/name] for extra emphasis on the ette part. [name]Annabel[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] is nice, but lacking imo. The rest I’m not feeling, but it’s really up to you two. [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Maeve[/name],don’t match in the sibset at all imo, and [name]Olive[/name] kinda fits. [name]Juliet[/name] fits best.

I doubt anyone would call your daughter [name]Julie[/name] unless that’s how you introduced her. It would never occur to me to call a [name]Juliet[/name] by the nickname [name]Julie[/name], since [name]Julie[/name] is a stand alone name. I can see [name]Jules[/name] being used, but not [name]Julie[/name].

[name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] sound best with [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Owen[/name] & [name]Sullivan[/name]. I like [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], and [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]

I hate [name]Jules[/name], [name]Julie[/name], and [name]Julia[/name]. If I had a [name]Juliet[/name] I’d call her [name]Etta[/name]

Wow all of your choices are so pretty! [name]Just[/name] keep considering each one until you find “The” pairing that both you and your husband feel happy with. [name]Juliet[/name] seems like a nice nickname to compliment any of your others (I esp love [name]Olive[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]) and if you don’t like the nn [name]Julie[/name] then just shorten it to [name]Jewel[/name]/[name]Jules[/name] when you’re in a hurry. Good luck! =]

I vote for [name]Juliette[/name]/[name]Julietta[/name] to go best with [name]Annabel[/name] (which I love BTW)!

However, I think you need to keep looking b/c I don’t think your husband’s love of [name]Juliet[/name] is a good enough reason to pick a name that you don’t equally love! It would be different if the name were to honor a very important person in his life or had some important religious significance. It seems like there is a name out there that you both will love.

PS-you are right [name]Julie[/name] is TERRIBLE!

[name]Juliet[/name] has always been a favorite of mine and I think it is a beautiful name. It make me imagine an adorable, sweet yet sophisticated little girl and a confident, accomplished, pretty young woman. [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] flows nicely. If you don’t want her called [name]Julie[/name], stand your ground with your husband and relatives. It will work, believe me. I had to put my foot down with one of my daughter’s names and no one calls her by a nickname…not even when she was in school. She insisted she be called by her full name and her classmates and teachers always used her full name.

[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] seems like the perfect compromise name to me. I think [name]Annabel[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name] are absolutely stunning togethere - and [name]Maeve[/name] isn’t short falled at all on cute nicknames. What about Meme/[name]Mimi[/name], [name]Evie[/name] or the classic [name]Mae[/name]. I for one think [name]Annie[/name] & [name]Mae[/name] are outstanding together (as are [name]Belle[/name] and [name]Annie[/name] - depending on what your nn for [name]Annabel[/name] is).

xo [name]Viv[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]! With [name]Owen[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name], I think [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name] are the best matches. They are such pretty Irish names, and
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] would be stunning! [name]Maeve[/name] could have the nn of [name]Mae[/name], which I love.

^^ I agree completely. [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] is a ravishing, very feminine name with a great deal of strength to it. I think [name]Julie[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] are much, much more different than that final letter would suggest. [name]Julie[/name] is sunny '70s cuteness, whereas [name]Juliet[/name] is staid, serious femininity.

[name]Do[/name] you hate all of the [name]Roman[/name] Jul- names, or just [name]Julie[/name] in particular? Some variants would take the pronunciation even farther away from [name]Julia[/name]:

[name]Juliette[/name] (emphasis on the ette, and a French zha to start)
[name]Julianna[/name] (emphasis on the aaaah-na)
And any Slavic variant where the J morphs into a Y sound…

Lol, I feel the exact same way about [name]Julie[/name] and [name]Julia[/name]!! [name]Jules[/name] too. I love [name]Juliet[/name]/[name]Juliette[/name] but I know that she would get called [name]Julie[/name] and/or [name]Jules[/name] and I really hate them!

I think [name]Julietta[/name] would sound great with [name]Annabel[/name]. I love the suggestions of [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]!

What about [name]Ariella[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name]?

I lovelovelove [name]Olive[/name]! I think [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name], [name]Owen[/name], and [name]Olive[/name] are just perfect together, I especially love [name]Annabel[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] for sisters, and the nn [name]Liv/name is just adorable, imo.

I agree with a lot of the pps, though–I think [name]Julie[/name] is totally avoidable if you don’t like it. [name]Jules[/name], Juju, [name]Lulu[/name], Liet, [name]Etta[/name], [name]Lettie[/name], etc. could all be options above [name]Julie[/name]. I think a lot of people think of [name]Julie[/name] as tired, anyway.

[name]Olive[/name] would get my vote, followed by [name]Daphne[/name], but I think [name]Juliet[/name] would be fine, too.

Good luck!

I love the name [name]Juliana[/name], but hate [name]Julie[/name] too, so I won’t use it for fear of everyone calling her [name]Julie[/name] lol. But if you really want to use the name he loves, you could always ‘make’ her a nickname before someone gets the chance to call her [name]Julie[/name], like [name]Jewels[/name]/[name]Jules[/name]. I’d go with a name you really love.