My ears perked up a bit at...

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries!!
I haven’t posted or commented on anything in a loooooong time because I got engaged! So my brain jumped instantly from name/baby mode to wedding mode.

But anywayyyy, I was out to lunch with my dad and his coworkers today when one of them walked in with their son. The little boy was totally adorable and getting all the attention and I heard his dad call him [name_m]Willem[/name_m]. At first I didn’t know if it was just a quirky way to shorten [name_m]William[/name_m] but I thought it was adorable. He said his father’s name was [name_m]William[/name_m] but it was too traditional for them so they settled on [name_m]Willem[/name_m]. I love it!

Other names I’ve heard recently:
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]: never cared for it until I met the crazy energetic little girl it belonged to
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] & [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]: she went by [name_f]Coco[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] & [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]: [name_u]Nico[/name_u] and [name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]: loo-sha
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]: one girl wore it well, one not as much
[name_f]Demetria[/name_f]: nicknamed [name_f]Deme[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]: nn [name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_m]Axel[/name_m]

what names have you come across lately?

I met a Merlita recently, though I’m not too keen on that name.

A friend of mine recently had a son and used the middle name [name_m]Mauro[/name_m], which I’ve never heard before. They’re both Italian, so it might be a family name. I kind of like it.

Congrats on your engagement!

[name_m]Willem[/name_m] is a common spelling of [name_m]William[/name_m] in e.g. Belgium. i like it!

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

I go to school with two girls with little boys whose names are [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m].
I was so excited when I heard both names considering everyone else around seems to be giving birth to [name_u]Addison[/name_u]'s, [name_u]Kendall[/name_u]'s and [name_u]Mason[/name_u]'s.
(Nothing wrong with any of them, but they just aren’t my style).

[name_m]Willem[/name_m] is the Dutch spelling of [name_m]William[/name_m]. It’s also the name of the new [name_m]King[/name_m] of the Netherlands ([name_m]Willem[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]). I’ve always preferred it to [name_m]William[/name_m]. You’ve met some wonderfully named children.

I like…

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] - I’ve grown to like this one
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] & [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - very nice together
[name_f]Constance[/name_f] - one of my favourites
[name_u]Nico[/name_u] and [name_f]Greta[/name_f] - SWOON!
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] - I love the “loo-sha” pronunciation the best
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] - an old Celtic name that still sounds fresh
[name_f]Demetria[/name_f] - nice one
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]: nn [name_f]Stella[/name_f] - both are lovely

Thanks everyone!!

Ooooo I really love the combination of [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]!! [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] has always been one of my favorites but I just don’t think I could convince the fiance.

I think my little corner of the world has some pretty great named kids, but there are a lot that have become sooo overused such as [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. But that happens everywhere I guess…