My epiphany with top 100 baby names

I have always struggled with boy names and I think the main reason being majority of my favourites have been on the top 100 boy names (in [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand).
We are expecting a son in [name_u]March[/name_u] and the name discussions have been stalling, [name_u]Dustin[/name_u] being the only name we were able to agree on. However we want 2-3 names to take to the hospital.
[name_f]My[/name_f] husband asked me, “so just curious what are the names you like but won’t use because you think they’re too popular” me- “[name_u]George[/name_u], [name_u]Louie[/name_u], [name_u]Harry[/name_u], [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u]”. So he asks me to look up how many babies were born last year named [name_u]Harry[/name_u], there were 115, number 38 on the chart. Then he asks “how many babies were born last year?” I had a no idea! I did a quick google - 59,637 babies were born last year in our country! So many more than I ever would have thought.
So I’ve decided not to worry about the number but I do still want to avoid the “trendy”, I would classify these are non-classics that have had a sudden increase in the last few years.

We now have [name_u]Dustin[/name_u] and [name_u]Harry[/name_u] as options. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband also likes [name_u]George[/name_u] so we’re having a think about him as well

Thank you for reading!

10 Likes

I’ve thought about this a lot with the Top 100 here in the US. The Top 10, sure, they are pretty popular and you hear them everywhere. But outside of that, the names feel pretty safe, depending, of course, on where you live. I definitely think a lot of people don’t realize the difference between a high ranking on the charts and a high number of babies born. Especially with names outside the Top 100.

Good luck in choosing the perfect name for your little boy! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

These are lovely :heart_eyes:

Your epiphany sounds very sensible. 115 [name_m]Harrys[/name_m] really is a minuscule proportion of almost 60k babies, it’s insane that it’s #38! [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealanders must have very diverse naming styles.

FWIW, I don’t think any of the names you listed feel “trendy”. Some have definitely become more popular lately, like [name_u]Theo[/name_u], but [name_u]Theo[/name_u]/Theodore is very traditional and it just happens to tick a lot of style boxes right now. I think it’s a fantastic choice, as are the others.

Are you open to suggestions based on those? [name_u]Rex[/name_u], [name_u]Sonny[/name_u], [name_u]Laurie[/name_u], [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], [name_u]Milo[/name_u], [name_m]Fraser[/name_m], [name_m]Harvey[/name_m] and [name_m]Otis[/name_m] spring to mind…

5 Likes

Always open to suggestions! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reviving an old thread to say thanks for sharing!

I’m also based in [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand, so really interesting to see what something like #38 means in terms of actual births per year and, even more so, as a % of annual births. Although I’m collecting names just for fun right now, NOT being in the top 100 in [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand would have similarly been a requirement for me too. [name_m]Will[/name_m] seriously rethink my views on ‘popularity’ when the time comes now.

My partner says he also doesn’t want a “popular” name but, from what I can gather, to him that more means avoiding those enduring names that feel ubiquitous like [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] etc. He’d probably have no clue that some of the names in the top 100 were even popular unless I told him as much!

And yes @katinka, [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand has quite an interesting landscape as far as names go with quite a mix between UK and US choices. I’m not all surprised to hear that the number of babies here given a top 100 name is really low compared to other places (even though that number is decreasing in most other countries too).

3 Likes

I’m glad it’s helpful! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is the same with his meaning of “popular”

1 Like