My family hates my favorite name!

I’m expecting a girl (so exiced!) and I always thought that when I had a girl I would name her [name]Twila[/name]. I just love that name! I think it’s girly and celestial which is fun. My husband likes it but doesn’t love it…but the rest of my family hates it!! Absolutely hates it! So now I don’t want to use it anymore, but I can’t seem to find anything I really love! My second favorite name is [name]Veronica[/name], which I know is not similar to [name]Twila[/name] at all. And then I’d say rounding out my top five faves are [name]Cassia[/name], [name]Maia[/name], and [name]Cleo[/name]. But I’m still very sad about [name]Twila[/name]…does anyone have any suggestions??

My daughter’s name is [name]Maya[/name] so I’ll try not to be biased and tell you that you should name your daughter [name]Maia[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Will[/name] you always be disappointed that you didn’t get to have a daughter named [name]Twila[/name]? If yes, you should name your daughter [name]Twila[/name]. It would be important to me that my husband LOVED the name too but that’s just me. Your families will grow to love it or at least like it. It’s crazy what names I hated when I first heard my family members use them, and now they have grown on me so much to the point that I now love some of the names that I originally hated.

I suggest you take the advice [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] have given in just about all of their books: for all of the people who claim to hate the name, find out what names they would suggest instead. You may find a name you love even more, or, in spite of their dislike, you may decide to go with [name]Twila[/name] after all. As Peachie stated, as soon as everyone meets their little granddaughter, niece, cousin, etc, they will forget all about how much they “hate” her name.

I really didn’t like one little niece’s name. To me it spelled G.H.E.T.T.O. When I talk about her to friends who haven’t heard her name before, I get that reaction. (Oh that poor child.) They should save their pity for something serious – the flooding victims in Pakistan perhaps. The child is fine. The name is fine. She goes by a nickname. Not that it matters. She is darling. She lights up the name. I’ve forgotten I was ever disapproving.

Your family will forget too, I wager. If you love [name]Twila[/name], use it. It is name of one awesome dancer.

I think it totally depends on your personality. I personally steer towards more traditional names, and I would never be brave enough to pick something that I know most of my family and friends hated! But I can think of a couple of kids whose names I originally thought were very strange…but then I grew to like the names as I got to know the child. So I can respect people who can choose a name they love, regardless of other people’s opinions. I’d just make sure you choose something that your husband also loves!

[name]How[/name] is it pronounced? Is it like the beginning part of the word Twilight cos if so I think it’s very pretty, though I’ve never heard it before!!

I think you need to explain to your family, and hubby, how much this name means to you. What if you never get to name another daughter - how will you feel if you didn’t ever get to use your favourite name? I agree with previous posters, it’s more important that your hubby is on board than your family because they’ll get used to it but your hubby at least needs to like the name.

[name]How[/name] would you feel about using it as a middle? You could still call her it sometimes as a special nn for the two of you? I do think it’d make a lovely first name though.

My cousin was supposed to be [name]Callum[/name] and we all loved the name (this is about 14 years ago now!) and then last minute it was changed to Hemi after a New Zealand rugby player and we all thought they were nuts lol, but now I love the name Hemi and only relate it to my cousin and I’m so glad he’s not just another [name]Callum[/name] so I honestly think your family and friends will come around once they get used to it. Besides, it’s not their baby to name at yours :slight_smile:

I agree…use it, they’ll get over it! My mom hates one of the names we’re considering, but I know she’ll just think of it as her granddaughter once the baby’s born (if we were to choose that name). Know what I mean? And you’re never going to please everyone, so you may as well go with what YOU like!

Oh dang I forgot to say, if you do decide [name]Twila[/name] too “controversial” to use, you can always use it as a middle name.

As always, my advice is if you really love it and your husband is okay with it, go with it.
I don’t like the name personally but remember, it’s your child and your choice.
[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

We have a policy of NEVER [name]EVER[/name] sharing names before the baby is born. The reason is, my husband and I like unusual names and don’t want to hear the comments from the peanut gallery. Once the baby is born, you will get a “hmmm” at most then they get over it quickly.

Although I love [name]Veronica[/name]. There is nothing wrong with [name]Twila[/name]. If you are only changing because of you family, don’t. And I would not take your family’s suggestions on names. They had their opportunity to choose a name for their children. This is YOUR baby not a family present you are delivering to them.

I hate to be a [name]Debbie[/name] Downer, but I think it depends on your family. My relatives, for instance, would be perfectly willing to tell the poor little kid how weird and stupid their name was and how they don’t know what your mommy and daddy were thinking, wouldn’t you rather have a nice normal name too? It’s mean and terrible, although not really on purpose, but it can happen. And if your family looks like it might tend toward that, then I would unfortunately want to consider their opinions for the future wellbeing of the child.

I test out baby names by mentioning that I “met someone” who has this name. For a while I really loved the name [name]Hosea[/name], but when I said it to my grandmother and she said, “O, I’ve never heard of that. Are you sure it’s a name? I’ve heard of [name]Jose[/name]…maybe it’s a girl’s name.” all of my “Yes, [name]Gram[/name], it’s in the Bible” wasn’t going to do any good, because I wouldn’t ever want to make my son listen to that.

I know of someone whose name is [name]Twila[/name] (different spelling), I thought it is pretty and not weird.

I’d say use what you love, if your husband is okay with it.

As for family hating the name? They can have their own kids and name name whatever they want :lol:

I think [name]Twila[/name] is beautiful and distinctive. I don’t think your family’s opinion should keep you from using the name you love… though I admit I would find it hard to choose a name I knew they really hated. Like others said though, your family would get used to it and maybe even like it once it was attached to your little girl. One thing to keep in mind is that your family’s reaction may be an indicator of how the name might be received by others in general. I would be okay choosing a name that the general public thought was weird, but not everyone would be comfortable with that.

I wouldn’t be able to use a name my husband didn’t love… but having said that, he never really says he ‘loves’ any name. He just doesn’t get as excited about it as I do. Maybe your husband is the same? Or are there other names that he says he really loves? For the record, I really like [name]Cassia[/name] and [name]Maia[/name], and kind of like [name]Cleo[/name]. Not a big fan of [name]Veronica[/name], personally. But if [name]Twila[/name] is you and your husband’s favorite, I think you should use it!

[name]Trust[/name] me, they will turn to love it once your little girl can place a face to the name. This is your child and you need to use what you love…otherwise you will always regret it! You will not find a name that everyone loves, anyway.

My family really disliked our name choice for dd#1, and some hated our name choice for dd#2, but now that the girls are here, everyone loves their names and can’t picture them with any other name. I am glad I went with my gut…the names just feel right for them, and mommy knows best :mrgreen:

I forgot to add that I think [name]Twila[/name] is a lovely name!

Wow! Thanks everyone for the great replies!! Its giving me some confidence to go with what I want and not listen to anyone else. I’m a little offbeat and I’m hoping my daughter will be too and be able to carry a not so common name.

But hoodie, you really hit into what I’m really feeling. If my family doesn’t like it, is that an indication that no one will like it? I haven’t told any non-family members what names I’m considering, but maybe its a good idea to take [name]Twila[/name] on a test drive. I guess in reverse of what I said before, maybe my daughter won’t appreciate or like her name. Those are gambles everyone takes when they name a baby though! Thanks again everyone!!

I love [name]Isla[/name], it is a fun, unusual and pretty name and I think most people would love it.

I think your choice sounds a little hippie, a little backwoods and a little country and western and yet for a small change you get a completely different picture [name]Isla[/name] has a great vibe and will make your daughter proud all her life.

A vote for [name]Isla[/name] - it’s gorgeous.

The name [name]Twila[/name] makes me think of a [name]Toni[/name] [name]Morrison[/name] story with a character named [name]Twyla[/name] in it. The name of the story slipped my mind. When I read the story, the name struck me as very interesting and unique. What made you think of the name [name]Twila[/name]?

Is [name]Twila[/name] pronounced the same as [name]Twyla[/name]?

I would forget about your family’s taste in names and go for what you love. It’s your baby to name, not theirs. They’ll get over it and love the child no matter what the name is, and eventually, they won’t be able to think of her as anything but little [name]Twila[/name].

When we told my grandmother we were considering the name [name]Isla[/name], she stuck her finger down her throat & made a gagging noise. [name]How[/name]'s that for familial disapproval??? :slight_smile: [name]Isla[/name] it is, and we’ve never heard another word about it, except how everyone loves her name.

However, I agree with the previous post … I could use a name my mom / grandmother / whoever likes, so long as my husband and I are on the same page. If he’s not in love with [name]Twila[/name], I’d say to keep it on your list (he may come around), but do try to find a name you both love. It’s only fair, and it will behoove you and your daughter in the long run if he feels as much a part of his daughter’s life & the decision making in it as you do.

rollo - Thanks for the suggestion! I saw [name]Isla[/name] as I was looking at names but I’m not a fan of it. There’s just something about the sound of it that doesn’t sit well with me.

amandalk - I’m an astronomer and I would love to name my daughter after a star/constellation but feel that its too pretentious and “out there”. So that’s why I thought of [name]Twila[/name] because it means Twilight. It is pronounced as [name]Twyla[/name].