My family hates my favorite name!

We have a [name]Twyla[/name] in our family (one of mom’s many many cousins). I have always thought her name was beautiful. People have all sorts of opinions before a baby is born, but once they’re out and about and wearing their name most people (especially family) won’t have anything to say about it. In my case, I’ve known [name]Twyla[/name] since I was born and until right this moment I hadn’t even considered that her name was anything less than normal.

If you love it, and your husband gets on board with it, that’s all that matters.

There are quite a few stars and contellations that already are names (or sound like they could be!) and I think could work really well for you if you like any of them! Such as:

Constellations:
[name]Carina[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Vela[/name]

Stars:
Azaleh
[name]Bellatrix[/name]
[name]Chara[/name]
[name]Garnet[/name] ([name]Garnet[/name] [name]Star[/name])
[name]Lucida[/name] (nn [name]Lucy[/name] maybe?)
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Mira[/name] (this one’s my fav! :))
[name]Rana[/name]
[name]Sadira[/name]
[name]Tania[/name]
[name]Talitha[/name]
[name]Vega[/name]
[name]Zaniah[/name]

My favs are; [name]Mira[/name], [name]Maia[/name], [name]Carina[/name] and [name]Lyra[/name] and I don’t think any of those are pretentious, nor do I think it’d be obvious to anyone else that you’d chosen those names because of the astronomy link.

I do second someone else’s opinion though, that if your partner doesn’t love it, maybe you should use [name]Twila[/name] as the middle name and come up with a name you agree on as a first? Has he made any suggestions of names he likes yet?

The first way I saw (and the only time I knew someone in person with the name) Twi/yla was with the ‘y’ spelling. Is the ‘i’ version the original?

Unfortunately, the person that I knew it with left me with a bad name association, so it wouldn’t be a name I would think to suggest.

All that said, it sounds like a fanciful name and is definitely usable here. It’s your child, so the name should be up to you, as the parents. The rest of the family will get over it one day. :smiley:

I grew up with a close family friend named Twylla. I have to tell you I think it is very old fashioned-sounding to me since the Twylla that I knew has since passed away while in her 80’s. Maybe your relatives don’t like the name because they can’t see it sounding fresh enough on a little girl. What is it about the name [name]Twila[/name] that you like? Maybe that would help us give some advice. Also, I’m a bit wary about it because it doesn’t seem like your DH is in love with the name by the way you described his feelings. Maybe you can use [name]Twila[/name] as a middle name and brainstorm until you find another name that he will be in love with too.

First off I love [name]Twila[/name], I’m not sure if [name]Twyla[/name] or [name]Twila[/name] is the original but I think I prefer [name]Twyla[/name], but I like both. If you love it you should use it. It’s your child, not their’s. I think if a family member didn’t like the name I would be totally alright with that, but I’ve always kind of been a bit of a rebel :stuck_out_tongue:

So just go with your heart and choose the name you love best.

I hope you use [name]Twila[/name]. EOM.

I love [name]Twila[/name]/ [name]Twyla[/name]. It’s absolutely gorgeous - spunky, unique, breathtaking. Your family will warm up to it, I swear; once your precious little one arrives, who’ll care about her name? If you love it, go for it. It’s your child, your life, and your choice: so don’t worry yourself over it!

I think it is a gorgeous, gorgeous name. [name]Love[/name] it so much.

I get that you want to make your family happy but honestly it is your baby and if you love the name go for it. I was so disappointed when my sister told me she was going to name her daughter [name]Lyric[/name]-I prefer more traditional names BUT boy have I learned a lesson to zip it! [name]Lyric[/name] is now 4 and her name matches her perfectly. If anything, have a list of names that you love and when you meet your little sweet pea see if she can help you pick her name:)

[name]Just[/name] wanted to weigh in with more encouragement to use [name]Twila[/name] if you and your husband love it! (Btw, people are asking where you heard the name–the only [name]Twila[/name] I know of is [name]Twila[/name] [name]Paris[/name], the singer, so possibly people will associate it with her.) Besides getting to use a name you love, you might help other new parents in your family feel like they can use the names they want, even in the face of familial disapproval, too! My sister named her son [name]Adonijah[/name] even though my mother hated it and said so very vocally, so when my daughter was born two years later I felt a lot of freedom to choose any name I wanted because my sister had been so brave. I think [name]Twila[/name] is a beautiful name and you should use it!

I do think that as long as you don’t let it sway you too much it is good to get people’s reactions to the name before the child is born–sometimes it is really useful to hear what people have to say. (We almost named our daughter the same full name as a minor celebrity, without realizing it, so it was helpful to run it by people first.)