My friends are choosing their own last name....

So my two close friends just got married and are six months pregnant. Her name is [name]Mackenzie[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Mical, his is [name]Erik[/name] Woodward [name]Dixon[/name]. He was teased horribly as a child with the “dick” in his last name, and they are a hippie couple who don’t particularly care for the tradition of keeping the man’s last name. They also don’t want to take hers, as it is pronounced [name]Michael[/name] and people continue to spell it wrong after she has spelled it out a million times. Some close family friends of ours chose their own last name, “Swan” after walking through a park and reading a sign next to a pond that said that swans mate for life. They really want to have a new last name for themselves before the baby is born.

Also, if the baby is a boy it will be [name]Odin[/name] and if its a girl it will be [name]Isla[/name]. (isn’t this weird, knowing the firsts but not the last).

Things they have considered:
[name]Ocean[/name] (the name of the beach where they had their first kiss, but [name]Odin[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] is too much for me, as is [name]Isla[/name] ocean, which means island ocean, however, they are truly hippies and over the top nature names don’t bother them).
[name]November[/name] or Vember (the month they met)
[name]Estrella[/name] (the name of the house where they fell in love)
Mixon (a combination of their names, but also the last name of the guy in oakland who just shot policemen)
[name]Sky[/name] (for no reason)
Shine (because they shine, haha)
[name]Oaks[/name] (they love trees)
[name]Arch[/name] (one of his family names)
[name]Clover[/name] (for good luck?)

I know this is a strange post…but what do you guys think of any of those? Also, do you have any more suggestions? They are both blond and blue eyed and so will their children, so maybe a name meaning fair haired…or something meaning love…or something nice and nature or ocean related. Or a name meaning friend, or eternity…or i dunno…something that sounds good with their names, their possible childrens names, and has a cute meaning that they would like. ANY responses to this difficult question would be much appreciated.

[name]Ocean[/name] - You’re right, [name]Odin[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] is way to much for me, but [name]Isla[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] is pretty
[name]November[/name] or Vember - I think [name]November[/name] is a great last name [name]Isla[/name] [name]November[/name] sounds gorgeous!
[name]Estrella[/name] - I think this is very pretty, but it does sound very spanish. Might be strange with blonde hair, blue eyes
Mixon - cute idea! And I really don’t think people will automatically associate the name with the shooting. for instance, I know about the shooting, but had no clue what the guy’s name was
[name]Sky[/name] (for no reason) - works very well with both [name]Odin[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] (and also [name]Mackenzie[/name] and [name]Erik[/name])
Shine - not a fan…sounds very made up to me
[name]Oaks[/name] - not my favorite of the bunch
[name]Arch[/name] (one of his family names) - this works for me!
[name]Clover[/name] (for good luck?) - Here again I like [name]Isla[/name] [name]Clover[/name] but not so much [name]Odin[/name] [name]Clover[/name]

Here’s a few more options:

[name]Ashby[/name] - Meaning: “ash tree farm”
[name]Avalon[/name] - Meaning: “island of apples”
”toile (ay-TWAHL) - Meaning: “star”
[name]Beauchamp[/name] - Meaning: “the beautiful field”
[name]Bellerose[/name] - Meaning: “beautiful flower”
[name]Bourne[/name] - Meaning: “one who lives near a stream”
[name]Calder[/name] - Meaning: “rocky water” (but I’m not the biggest fan of the “d” here because of [name]Odin[/name]'s strong “d”)
[name]Deveraux[/name] - Meaning: “riverbank” (I REALLY like this one, sorta sounds exotic! )
[name]Kingsley[/name]/[name]Kinsley[/name] - Meaning: “king’s meadow”
[name]Oakley[/name] - I like better than [name]Oaks[/name]
[name]Remington[/name] - Meaning: “king’s meadow”
[name]Soleil[/name] (so-[name]LAY[/name]) - Meaning: “sun” (I really like this one as well)
[name]Waverly[/name] - Meaning: “meadow of quivering aspens” (two thumbs up here, too! )

Ooh thanks ricamama for the suggestions. I just sent them over to her. I really like [name]Soleil[/name], [name]Waverly[/name], and [name]Avalon[/name], especially since right after they fell in love they went off to australia and picked apples together for 3 months. Island of the apples!

I forgot two:
Solstice (the had their first kiss on the winter solstice)
[name]Rain[/name] (he proposed in the rain)

More thoughts anyone?

These are my favorite last names:
[name]Winthrop[/name] - I think this is my fave last name of all time!
[name]Fairchild[/name] - because of “[name]Sabrina[/name]”
[name]Warren[/name] - because of [name]Peter[/name] [name]Warren[/name] in “It Happened One [name]Night[/name]”.
my own - [name]Chesney[/name]
de Chambrier
[name]Winters[/name]
[name]Peabody[/name]! So fun! Hmm… that is almost as fun as [name]Winthrop[/name].
Castle
[name]Forrest[/name]
De [name]Winters[/name]
[name]Wood[/name]
[name]Perkins[/name] - I love to pretend this is my last name and think of first names that go with it. It is very cute and I wouldn’t get tired of it.
[name]Arthur[/name] - this was my grandmother’s maiden name.
[name]Maxwell[/name] - my aunt’s grandmother’s maiden name. Cool! [name]Maxfield[/name] would be fun, too.
Cavalier (Cav-all-YAY) - my daughter’s friend’s last name.
[name]Beauregard[/name]
[name]Rochester[/name]
[name]Humbert[/name] because of [name]Humbert[/name] [name]Humbert[/name] in “[name]Lolita[/name]”
[name]Poe[/name] would be fun!
[name]Jones[/name] is fun to work with but awfully common.
Higgins - “My Fair Lady”

I would pick my own last name [name]Chesney[/name] but my second choice would be either [name]Winthrop[/name] or [name]Perkins[/name]. But [name]Peabody[/name] is tempting, I must say.

From the list, I’d go with Mixon. It’s the most “normal” of the bunch and is actually related to their real names. One of the main problems with the word names they’ve chosen is that [name]Isla[/name] doesn’t work well that way. You say “[name]Isla[/name] Swan,” for example, and I hear “[name]Isle[/name] of Swans.”

I wouldn’t worry about the negative associations with Mixon. It’s a fairly common name after all (I even know a young man with the double first name [name]John[/name] Mixon), and I’m pretty sure it will fade from the news in a few days, at the most. It’s not like you’re suggesting [name]Manson[/name] or Bundy, after all.

Things they have considered:
[name]Ocean[/name] (the name of the beach where they had their first kiss, but [name]Odin[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] is too much for me, as is [name]Isla[/name] ocean, which means island ocean, however, they are truly hippies and over the top nature names don’t bother them).
[name]November[/name] or Vember (the month they met)
[name]Estrella[/name] (the name of the house where they fell in love)
Mixon (a combination of their names, but also the last name of the guy in oakland who just shot policemen)
[name]Sky[/name] (for no reason)
Shine (because they shine, haha)
[name]Oaks[/name] (they love trees)
[name]Arch[/name] (one of his family names)
[name]Clover[/name] (for good luck?)

I know this is a strange post…but what do you guys think of any of those? Also, do you have any more suggestions? They are both blond and blue eyed and so will their children, so maybe a name meaning fair haired…or something meaning love…or something nice and nature or ocean related. Or a name meaning friend, or eternity…or i dunno…something that sounds good with their names, their possible childrens names, and has a cute meaning that they would like. ANY responses to this difficult question would be much appreciated.[/quote]