My Future Children

So, my sister and I were talking about names today, and I was thinking about which ones I really love for future children. The four I love are:

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]/[name]Theodore[/name] - which is better?

But, then I was thinking that obviously I can’t guarantee that I will have two boys and two girls! So, I decided to hunt for more names. I wouldn’t want them to start with the same letter or end in the same sound (A, T, Y, L), so the search is quite limited. I also, as you can tell, love my vintage classics!

So, this is what I came up with so far…

[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name] - probably as a MN to honor my MN, [name]Elyse[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] - but [name]Eliza[/name] would be [name]Charlotte[/name]'s MN, so…
[name]Madeline[/name] (or [name]Madeleine[/name])
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]

[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
([name]Theodore[/name])

For girls, I eliminated [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Adeline[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you have any other suggestions that fit these criteria?

Oh, and my sister decided that she loved these names, and she no longer is interested in using architecture-related middle names:

[name]Rhys[/name] [name]Nicolas[/name]
[name]Callum[/name] [name]Wyatt[/name]
Wils [name]Gabriel[/name] - I think Wils was originally a nickname for [name]William[/name]…
[name]Declan[/name] [name]Marcus[/name]

[name]Tegan[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] is the only girl name she loved. She also decided that if she needed an extra girl name, she would pick [name]Piper[/name], but she couldn’t find a middle name she loved. What do you think of these names?

Wishing you all happy naming and name-playing! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]James[/name], and [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] (I love the name [name]Theodore[/name], but like [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] better)! :slight_smile:

(My favorite boys’ names are [name]Henry[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Edward[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name], and [name]Theodore[/name], so I love your list! [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Eliza[/name]–especially [name]Eliza[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] are also on my favorites list.) :slight_smile:

No A, T, L, or Y?

Hmm…

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] (Did you list this? I can’t see your list as I’m typing…)
[name]Genevieve[/name] (I think you listed this)
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]

[name]Charles[/name] (not with [name]Charlotte[/name], of course)
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]William[/name]

Good luck with your list! :slight_smile:

I forgot to add that [name]Jackson[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] (but mostly [name]Jackson[/name]) are the only boys’ names on your list that I can’t see with [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name], and [name]Henry[/name]. I guess I can see [name]Patrick[/name], but not with [name]Henry[/name], because it reminds me too much of [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Henry[/name] (“Give me liberty, or give me death!”). :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile:

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]!

I understand your concerns about [name]Jackson[/name] - it does feel rather trendy and surname-y in comparison to the other classics. I like [name]Jack[/name] a bit, though, but don’t feel it is substantial enough alone. It hadn’t occurred to me about [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Henry[/name], but, yes, that is probably not an ideal match, either!

From your suggestions:

I actually had [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name], you were correct! I don’t know if I love [name]Eleanor[/name] - I have bad associations with the name - but I do love the nickname [name]Nell[/name]. [name]Genevieve[/name] is beautiful, but I worry its French style may be too different. I also had [name]Alice[/name], which I think is a really spunky and sweet vintage name!

I do like [name]Iris[/name] - it is very interesting and unusual, yet it has the vintage charm. [name]Rose[/name] is pretty, but I think I would look for a more substantial name to get to that nickname, perhaps [name]Rosaleen[/name] or [name]Rosalind[/name]. [name]Jane[/name] is a beautiful classic, but I have recently decided I only care for it as a middle name - it isn’t one I love.

I don’t care for [name]Beatrice[/name] or [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Tess[/name] feels a bit trendy to me, and [name]Josephine[/name], though beautiful and elegant, reminds me of that [name]Drew[/name] Barrymore movie - Never Been Kissed - in which she plays a character called [name]Josie[/name] Grosie! Ha!

From your boy suggestions, I do quite like [name]Charles[/name], but I think I love [name]Charlotte[/name] more - I guess I’ll have to wait and see! [name]Peter[/name] is great, I really like it! I had [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]William[/name], and I really like those both as well!

I don’t care for [name]Edward[/name] - I don’t like [name]Eddie[/name], [name]Ed[/name], or [name]Ward[/name] as nicknames - or [name]Simon[/name], as it seems slightly juvenile to me. I know this is irrational, though! There are plenty of adult Simons in the world! [name]George[/name] feels too short to me.

Another I’d thought of was [name]Thomas[/name]…

Again, thank you for taking the time to comment, [name]Jill[/name]!

I love [name]Thomas[/name]. :slight_smile: I’m surprised that the vintage [name]Tess[/name] feels trendy to you…it’s #870. Are there may Tesses in your area? ([name]Tessa[/name] is #202, and feels trendy to me in comparison to [name]Tess[/name].)

Whatever happened to [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Isolde[/name]? :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile:

Actually, there are! I see what you are saying about [name]Tessa[/name] being quite trendy - maybe the issue is I know a good deal of Tessas who go by [name]Tess[/name]…

Oh, [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Isolde[/name]! I had a friend who was considering some of the names on the post for her baby (she chose [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]), including [name]Guinevere[/name], and I really attached to it because of its legendary, historical qualities, but I’m thinking it isn’t really MY style - a bit too bold for me to actually use. It is such a beautiful name, though!

I’ve honestly been thinking about [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Nathaniel[/name] for a couple of years! It’s funny how a name - like [name]Guinevere[/name] - can strike your fancy and then pass, while others hold on for a long time…

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]: I like this a lot!! I actually have this combo on one of my lists for girls!
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]: I also like this one a lot
[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]James[/name]: I love the combination, but I heard of someone using this SAME combo for her new baby boy–that sort of ruins it for me.
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]/[name]Theodore[/name]: They are both nice, but I think [name]Oliver[/name] goes better with [name]Henry[/name]. :slight_smile:

You have really lovely taste in names. I like nearly all those that you have mentioned, especially [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Elias[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name].
What will you do if your future partner doesn’t share your taste in names or only wants two children?!
It seems like a shame to exclude lots of beautiful names because of the same ending, although I can understand you not wanting the same initial.
I have probably thought of :
[name]Katharine[/name]/ [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]/ [name]Margaret[/name]
this is hard actually as most girl’s names end in a or a y/ie sound!

[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Reuben[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Benedict[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Lucien[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Francis[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]George[/name]
([name]Edward[/name]- I like the nns [name]Ned[/name] or [name]Teddy[/name] for [name]Edward[/name] not [name]Ed[/name]/ [name]Eddie[/name])
[name]Matthew[/name]/ [name]Matteo[/name]

Cute picks! Also, for your sister, the spelling [name]Calum[/name] is better and more correct than [name]Callum[/name], at least I think, but I’m biased because that’s my brother’s name ahah. With just one L is the proper Scottish spelling though. Really lovely name!

Oh I love your names! [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name], and [name]Henry[/name] are all in my favorites. My favorite doll growing up was named [name]Lydia[/name] :). ([name]Charlotte[/name] would be on my list but my sister has already claimed that one for herself!) My favorites from your other lists with the original four are [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] (although it’s pretty popular), [name]William[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], and [name]Theodore[/name].

I just wanted to also suggest [name]Annabel[/name]/le. It goes with your others but doesn’t start or end with the same letter/sound. I know you have Anneleise on there too, which is also beautiful. [name]Annabel[/name] is just on my favorites list, which is so similar to yours (except switch [name]Charlotte[/name] for [name]Clara[/name]!). Good luck!

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions, everyone! I’m glad you all at least mostly like these names!

Let me try to address some of these comments - though I’ll probably forget…

[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]James[/name] - I know the combination may seem a bit common or ordinary, perhaps even stale, but I love [name]Nathaniel[/name], and [name]James[/name] is a HUGE family name for me (it is the name of my father, paternal grandfather, biological maternal grandfather, uncle, and my cousin’s middle name).

What will I do if my future partner/spouse doesn’t like these names or wants fewer children? Try to convince him otherwise, maybe? Ha, no, I have NO idea! We’ll just have to wait and see what happens. These sorts of things are subject to change, but I really love these names.

As for limiting names, I know. It is a real shame because I love so many, but I think it would be so cool to have them all be different sounds. Again, subject to change. Some of my own that I have eliminated for this reason are [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Estella[/name], and [name]Cecily[/name]. I really like [name]Juliet[/name] (perhaps [name]Julia[/name] even more) and [name]Margaret[/name]! Boy suggestions were fabulous as well!

Oh, I will tell my sister that the “correct” spelling is [name]Calum[/name]. Perhaps she was trying to avoid the [name]Cal[/name] nickname with the [name]Callum[/name] spelling, I don’t really remember…

Again, thanks! :slight_smile: