My husband made up a name....?

Apparently he made this up for a poem he wrote a long time ago…

Acora [name]Lane[/name]

But she would go by [name]Lane[/name] - which I’m starting to love since it’s not popular or too girly ( I am not girly).

…We are also the ones booting around the [name]Harper[/name] [name]Jude[/name] (girl) / [name]Jude[/name] [name]Harper[/name] (boy). These names have meaning to us. I am more unsure on the girl name. Argh, 3 months to go and still undecided! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Lane[/name] is really cute…

Sorta like [name]Cora[/name] [name]Lane[/name]… (in love with [name]Cora[/name] right now :slight_smile: )

[name]Cora[/name] [name]Lane[/name] is really pretty!
[name]Don[/name]'t like Acora very much. I went through life for several years with a name my sister and father made up. It got really, really old. I was about ready to spit if I heard someone call me that name again. So I changed it to [name]Susan[/name]. If your daughter was named Acora, as she got older everyone would ask: how do you spell it, how did you get that name, what does it mean, what country is it from, and then there would be snotty people who would look down their noses at her for having that name and they might even snicker. It all happened to me. It’s easier to have a name that people recognize as a name and do not need help spelling.

I’m with the others who prefer [name]Cora[/name] (or [name]Cordelia[/name]). When I first saw Acora, I thought I was looking at a typo of Acorn. :frowning: I think [name]Cora[/name] [name]Lane[/name] could work, though! :slight_smile:

[name]Cora[/name] [name]Lane[/name] sounds really pretty! I’m not really a fan of Acora. [name]Cora[/name] [name]Lane[/name] kind of reminds me of the movie that recently came out, called [name]Coraline[/name]. (with a long i)

[name]Harper[/name] is super popular for girls. i have met three baby Harpers just this month. I agree about made up names, its a no go. I love jude harper.

[name]Lane[/name] [name]Coraline[/name]

I have to disagree with everyone who’s posted so far (don’t hurt me please…) I’m a fan of Acora [name]Lane[/name]… It doesn’t sound TOO made up, so I think it’s something you could get away with.
Although, [name]Cora[/name] does sound very nice too… I think it’s all a matter of what you want your kid to have to explain someday. Because Acora will raise questions. Though it doesn’t sound bad, just different. Congratulations! Cheers!

Acora [name]Lane[/name] flows well so I can see why you like it.

However, I cannot see the point of calling a child by their mn from birth.

[name]Lani[/name] Acora is the combo I would choose. [name]Lani[/name] is not too girly and it flows beautifully with Acora.

PS [name]Lani[/name] is pronounced Lah nee

Otherwise

[name]Alayne[/name] [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Alana[/name] [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]

For a son [name]Jude[/name] [name]Harper[/name]

The suggestion of [name]Cora[/name] is a great one - such a pretty name!

While I normally lean towards very feminine names, I actually quite like [name]Lane[/name], especially as it would not be her official first name.

Also, Acora doesn’t sound made up (again, made up names are something I detest completely, usually) and I think you could use it, but be prepared for a lifetime of “how did you come up with that” questions. It’s nice that your husband used it in a poem, too, and didn’t just mesh it together from the names of his favourite basketball players or something - it seems to have sentimental value.

I actually think Acora [name]Lane[/name] has a pretty, melodic quality. I like it, especially the story behind it. I didn’t grow up with an unusual name, so I don’t know about the stigma there, and many do think poorly of made-up names. However, I think since you would call her [name]Lane[/name] anyway, what would the harm be in giving her a name with such lovely sentimental value?
If you think about it, all names were made up at some point…

[name]How[/name] about [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]?

I wouldn’t have known it was made up if you didn’t tell me. I would have just thought that Acora was an unusual name from the [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Coralina[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Coral[/name] family. It does have a strong resemblence to Acorn when you first see it, but since she’d be going by [name]Lane[/name] anyway that probably wouldnt be too much of a problem. I like it.