My husband's picks. . .

Since I spend so much time telling you all the names my dh doesn’t like, I thought I would tell you the few he actually does like. I like most of the names too. . .but they are all awfully popular.

[name]Olivia[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] this name too, nn [name]Ollie[/name] or [name]Livvy[/name] are adorable, [name]Ollie[/name] & [name]Isla[/name], pretty cute right? But it’s top 5 in [name]Vermont[/name] and has been #1 in New Hampshire for many years. That’s just too popular, right?

[name]Abigail[/name] - I also love this name, not as much as [name]Olivia[/name] but nn [name]Abby[/name] is adorable, and again [name]Isla[/name] & [name]Abby[/name] sound pretty cute. This is another one in the top 10 in New [name]England[/name] though. . .

[name]Tess[/name] - he really likes this, so does my mother, but to me it feels like it’s lacking something. . .like it’s missing the rest of the name.

[name]Marguarite[/name] - this was his grammy’s name. He likes [name]Maggie[/name] as a nn, [name]Mag[/name]-Pie. I just think [name]Marguarite[/name] is such a mouthful, especially with our long last name (looks/sounds like Shutterworks) My mom wants us to just use [name]Maggie[/name] but I don’t like the idea of using a nn as a full name, I feel like it eliminates so many options for the kid.

So what do you think? We could settle on a name tonight if I chose one of his picks! WDYT, would you use a name you both love, even though it’s outrageously popular (not trendy though, classic. . .just suuuper popular), or do you have any thoughts on the other choices?

thanks!

You could go with Tes as a nickname for a name like [name]Theresa[/name] or [name]Thessaly[/name].

[name]Margret[/name] (nick name [name]Maggie[/name]) could work also.

I hope you and your husband find something you both like.

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Kelli[/name]!

[name]Olivia[/name] - Of the popular set, this is one of my favorites (with [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] bringing up the rear). I like that [name]Olivia[/name] has a feminine, sophisticated sound, but it isn’t too light - the strong V sound anchors the name. I like that the name has history - think [name]Shakespeare[/name]! However, I don’t care for the nickname [name]Ollie[/name] at all, personally! It sounds like a great name for a dog, or a nickname for a boy named [name]Oliver[/name]. I do like [name]Livvy[/name] - and especially [name]Liv[/name] - with [name]Isla[/name], though. One of my issues with this name is this - try saying “[name]Isla[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name]” together quickly, as if you were introducing your daughters to someone. A little tough, right? The vowel sounds compete and throw me off a bit. Then, we have popularity to consider - potential red flag…

[name]Abigail[/name] - I don’t like [name]Abigail[/name] with [name]Isla[/name] at all, even though I do like [name]Abigail[/name]. [name]Abigail[/name] is the epitome of sweet traditional names, and it reminds me of a little girl, her hair up under a bonnet, working on a quilt with her mother. The image is very Colonial, whereas [name]Isla[/name] is modern, fresh, spunky, and playful. The competing images make this one a clear “no” for me. Sorry!

[name]Tess[/name] - Well, I’d tell you to make it [name]Tessa[/name], but [name]Tessa[/name] feels comparably trendy to me and it has the same end-sound as [name]Isla[/name] - I know that bugs you! To me, [name]Tess[/name] is complete as is. [name]Tess[/name] - though it is a [name]Teresa[/name] diminutive - is a classic name with a modern, fun, playful feel. It is decidedly feminine but maintains a unisex, very anti-frill, sound. [name]Tess[/name] has history - it reminds me of “[name]Tess[/name] of the d’Urbervilles” - and substance. If I had to pick a name off this list that you’d like best, I’d pick [name]Tess[/name]! It is the closest in sound and feel to [name]Brynn[/name], [name]Afton[/name], and [name]Harper[/name]. And, if I had to pick one name from this list that sounds the best with [name]Isla[/name], I’d pick [name]Tess[/name]. Try saying “[name]Isla[/name] and [name]Tess[/name]” a few times to yourself - it works, right?

[name]Marguarite[/name] - For one, I’ve never seen [name]Marguerite[/name] spelled this way! Anyway, I agree it is far too much name both with your last name and with [name]Isla[/name]'s “free spirit” of a name! [name]Marguarite[/name] is heavy and long, and, although it has serious presence, it lacks much of the fun, playful feel of [name]Isla[/name]. I think you are trying to capture that in the baby’s name, and this doesn’t cut it at all! Sorry, grammy!

So, that’s my assessment of hubby’s list for ya, [name]Kelli[/name]! Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! It’s so cool that you both love some of the name names! That’s great! To me, loving a name is more important than its popularity, and I think it would be a shame to pass up a name you both love because it’s popular.

[name]Even[/name] though the above names are popular, there’s no guarantee that your [name]Olivia[/name] or [name]Abigail[/name] would be one of three or four in her class; she may be the only one! I think that [name]Liv[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] are really pretty together. :slight_smile:

(And yes, I would use a popular name…In fact, [name]Elizabeth[/name] is one of my favorites, and it’s #9!)

If you think that [name]Marguerite[/name] is too long with your last name, you may also like [name]Margot[/name], nn [name]Maggie[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

oh. … well I just thought of another issue with [name]Tess[/name] - it ends in S and our last name starts in S. . .isn’t that weird?

Also, [name]Lemon[/name], maybe it is [name]Marguerite[/name]. IDK!

I’ve thought of that. . I’m not super crazy about it, though I like it ending in the O sound. I’ve suggested it to dh a few times and he hasn’t jumped on it. Nice idea though!

I think it depends on if your last names starts with an S sound or an Sh sound. I personally don’t think that it’s a problem as long as the sounds are different.

[name]Tess[/name] Shutterworks sounds fine. [name]Tess[/name] Sutterworks doesn’t (in my opinion.) I don’t know how close to Shutterworks your last name is though.

[name]Love[/name] love love the idea of [name]Olivia[/name] nn [name]Liv[/name] or maybe [name]Livia[/name]… [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Liv[/name] seem great together.

our ln is with SH. We had just been avoiding names that start with S so it doesn’t sound lke you have a lisp - is it [name]Sam[/name] Sutterworks or Sham Shutterworks? I guess my mom was the one going on about names ending with S too. Maybe it’s not so weird. . .what do I know:)

[name]Marguerite[/name] is such a pretty name and the nn of [name]Mag[/name] Pie is very cute.

Good luck choosing, all the best.

[name]Kelli[/name],

[name]Tess[/name] Shutterworks isn’t terrible. Maybe it isn’t ideal, but it isn’t a deal-breaker in my book. Yes, you need a little pause there to catch your breath before moving on to the last name, but it isn’t horrendous by any means. It all comes down to you and him being comfortable with it. Honestly, I like a name starting with S (a la [name]Stella[/name] Shutterworks) over a name ending in S, but [name]Tess[/name] isn’t that bad…

Another thought - have you considered using just [name]Liv[/name] as her name? I love [name]Liv[/name]! It is a Norse name meaning “life” - cool, huh? Or, maybe you could just use a variant of the short form of [name]Olivia[/name] and name her Livi…

[name]Liv[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]'s a stunner, too:

If I were you, I’d name [name]Isla[/name]'s sister…drum roll…

[name]LIV[/name] [name]CARYS[/name] “SHUTTERWORKS”

Ha! Good luck!

I second [name]Lemon[/name]! (I was just going to suggest [name]Liv[/name].)

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Liv[/name] [name]Carys[/name]! SO cute!

I was going to suggest [name]Liv[/name], as well! Speaking of famous Livs, [name]Julianne[/name] [name]Moore[/name] has an adorable [name]Liv[/name] [name]Helen[/name], which is so cute.
I love [name]Liv[/name]… a bit sassy, yet sophisticated and slightly exotic. It sounds great with [name]Isla[/name], too. And, for the sake of compromise, [name]Olivia[/name], exclusive nn [name]Liv[/name] would give her a classic name with options for later, as well as solve the popularity issue. Look no further! :slight_smile:
Good luck!

I like [name]Olivia[/name] “[name]Liv[/name]” [name]Carys[/name]!

hmm. . .[name]Liv[/name]. Are there other names with ‘[name]Liv[/name]’ in them?

Also dh added a new one to the list last night, Marquesa (or is it with 2 ss at the end?). It’s a famous fishing spot down by the [name]Florida[/name] [name]Keys[/name], he is an obsessive fisherman. Marquessa, pretty right?

For more information on ‘[name]Liv[/name]’, check out this link:

For other names with ‘[name]Liv[/name]’ in them, check these:

http://legitbabenames.wordpress.com/2009/12/25/eve/

To answer your other question, ‘Marquessa’ is pretty. I just have two concerns with it. First it sounds very Spanish or French to me. (It’s a lot ‘frillier’ than [name]Isla[/name], and a completely different sounding name in comparison.) I don’t know if this would be an issue for you or not. Second, weren’t you wanting to stay with a 3 syllable pattern (2+1 or 1+2) for the full name? ‘Marquessa’ is the equivalent of both in one. Again, I don’t know if this would be an issue for you or not (considering the length of your surname). If those things aren’t going to be issues for you, then I say, yes, ‘Marquessa’ is very pretty. (It kind of has a ‘[name]Margaret[/name]’ blended with ‘[name]Tessa[/name]’ feel to it- cute!)

[name]Kelli[/name],

Marquessa is pretty, but it reminds me of Marchesa, the fashion designer. Can’t get past that! Also, though it is lovely, it doesn’t have the same feel as [name]Isla[/name] to me - it seems, well, too heavy?

As for [name]Liv[/name], I like [name]Liv[/name] all by itself with [name]Isla[/name]. They seem ideal together. But you could use [name]Livia[/name], [name]Livana[/name], or Livi. To me, though, the names ending in the same sound as [name]Isla[/name] ([name]Livia[/name], [name]Livana[/name]) sound too similar to [name]Isla[/name] - they both have the strong L sound and the A ending. Maybe it is just me, though!

Good luck!

yeah. . .not really feeling [name]Liv[/name]. I love [name]Livvy[/name], but just [name]Liv[/name]. . I don’t know I have a real problem with one syllable names I think, I’m not sure there is a single 1 syll. name that I really love.

[name]Kelli[/name], it may be too out there, but you could always give her L.V. initials to reach the [name]Livvy[/name]/[name]Liv[/name] nickname.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I was thinking of some alternatives to the names you like that are more popular:

Instead of [name]Olivia[/name], what about:
[name]Olive[/name] (Same nn’s and sounds great with [name]Isla[/name])
[name]Livia[/name] (great Latin name)
[name]Lavinia[/name] (another Latin name)

Instead of [name]Abigail[/name], what about:
[name]Adeline[/name] ([name]Addy[/name] instead of [name]Abby[/name]?)
[name]Aveline[/name]

Full name for [name]Tess[/name]:
[name]Celeste[/name]/[name]Celestine[/name] (I know that is a stretch, but I head [name]Tess[/name] in there)

I like all of your names!