My Kid Named It

I’m not sure if there’s a thread for this. I thought it’d be fun to post about names your child (or a child you know) has either used (for pets, toys, etc.) or invented. If you want to add a bonus of their favorite names it may be fun to look back on that as they grow!

[name_f]My[/name_f] first son loves to play with sounds and words. Some of the names he’s used so far include;

Allibander (pronounced “alley-bander or al-ih-bander) the name for a piece of my scrap yarn that he turned into his pet snake who he trained to catch fish for his family.

Ralfred (he asked me if I like [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] or Ralfred better.)

Hiccabob (this is his name for all the different tree seeds he loves to collect. All the acorns in our yard are “hiccabobs.” His brother calls them this too. It reminds me of [name_u]Hickory[/name_u] and [name_m]Ichabod[/name_m] ha!

Macadeedee (a title he gave us. He said we are “Macadeedees,” though he didn’t explain what a Macadeedee is haha!

Polka [name_f]Dot[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] (his name for the baby girl in mama’s belly.)

[name_f]Lavender[/name_f] was the name of his fallen comrade in his war story this morning!

Bonus (his favorites);

[name_m]Benicio[/name_m] (he has so much fun saying this!)

[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] (he didn’t even know this was my oldest favorite for a girl when we went through my potentials for baby #3 together!)

He likes [name_f]Violette[/name_f] (“because it rhymes with jet”)

He also likes [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m] and Renwick and any flower name for a girl!

21 Likes

This is so precious. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Your son is a little [name_u]Berry[/name_u] in the making, I think :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Ralfred is inspired!!

[name_f]My[/name_f] niece started calling my mum, her Grandma, “Bod” and nobody knows why! Her name is [name_u]Chris[/name_u]. She also called the pet hamster an “oodass.” ?!?

[name_f]My[/name_f] son couldn’t say “elbow” and to this day it’s an “elbell” instead. He once named a snail [name_m]Seb[/name_m] Striper :grin:

8 Likes

Hahaha!!! I like elbell!! And [name_m]Seb[/name_m] Striper is a nice combo for a snail!

The elbow thing reminded me of my second son. Once he started talking he would always ask for “mink” when he wanted to nurse until my husband and I showed him a video of a mink so he changed it to “monk” from then on :joy:

[name_f]My[/name_f] older son also likes to swing his muslin blankets around like swords and calls them wacker-blades so when he heard “wikiPedia” he thought it was “wackaPedia” :laughing:

2 Likes

Aw, your son sounds so inventive and a [name_u]Berry[/name_u] in the making

When my cousin was little and my aunt was expecting, she picked out the name [name_u]Darby[/name_u] for the baby and kept calling her that! She ended up using it on a doll when baby was born and my aunt didn’t use [name_u]Darby[/name_u] :grin:

2 Likes

[name_f]Dot[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] is such a cute name, I think he’s onto something!

5 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] best friend has a little girl and one summer she would refer to things as “Cyntia” not to be confused with CYNTHIA. There was a lot of emphasis on the cynTIA lol

When my nephew was much younger and couldn’t pronounce his name correctly he would say his full name as “Alhunjuju” I won’t go into the details but that is most certainly NOT his name lol

In that same fashion when I was younger I couldn’t pronounce my own name, and called myself “Conca Santuria” instead of [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]

3 Likes

Funny how we can be so set on something even as a child! This reminds me of when I was younger, I wanted to name my soon-to-be sister “Sunshine.” Ironically she ended up with one of the names meaning “light” or “bright, shining.”

1 Like

:joy: I especially like Conca Santuria!

[name_f]My[/name_f] son can be very particular about his made-up words too. “No, mama, GEEG, not KEEG!” It’s so fun to watch them communicate from their unique perspectives!

3 Likes

Your son sounds like an amazing namer :star_struck: I love Hiccabob and Allibander, and I seriously love Dot Clementine as well. How cute!

Juno adopted two garden snails last summer and named them Sammy and Slick. When we released them we put a little dot of nail polish on each of their shells so we could recognise them if we ever saw them again. Months passed and I assumed they’d either died or relocated, but then one day Juno spotted Slick hiding under a paving slab! There was much jubilation.

I love ellbell too, how fun! It’s like the feminine form of elbeau :wink:

Cool name taste! Juno did this with Ramona when we changed our minds on it for her sister. We now have a doll Ramona.

This is a fabulous name! Sounds like a Roman stateswoman.

5 Likes

My sister named one of her stuffed dogs Rufus, and she says it’s a girl

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] cousin’s kid had an imaginary friend named Clemsa Belemsa.

4 Likes

This is quite pretty!

1 Like

Mine was “Button” when I was younger and I named my brother’s “Rain” and my sister’s “Jazzy.” [name_m]Rufus[/name_m] reminds me of a dog’s “ruff!”

I think my sister’s was just “Jane.” Clemsa Belemsa is much more imaginative!

1 Like

Completely agree!

This is a fun topic!

[name_f]My[/name_f] oldest son has always been a wordsmith.

• He named a nearby tree an [name_u]Oak[/name_u] Shkabonkadoony. (We discovered later that it was a purple birch.)
  • A ruumbyer is a person wearing a backwards hat. [name_u]Seven[/name_u] years later, we still use that one.
  • He once made up the name Brastuchen (rhymes with Rasputin). Never figured out what it meant, but I like it.

[name_f]My[/name_f] third son invented a character named Hunya Panunya, who still occasionally goes on grand adventures in his stories.

[name_f]My[/name_f] fifth son suggested Stitts for our new baby’s name. We didn’t go for that one. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

My sister has a heck of a lot of stuffed puppies. She’s named most of them after our aunt/cousin’s dogs, but some of them she named herself. She has pretty good taste if I say so myself

Bridget
Rufus
Murph
Tessa
Winnie
Spice
Bones
Trixie
Gracie
Junie

6 Likes

Hilarious! :joy: Sounds like my boy!!

And “Stitts…we didn’t go for that one” :joy:

2 Likes

I love this! There needs to be a word for that. Reminds me of the wonderful book The Meaning of Liff which gives wonderfully nonsensical names to things that there isn’t a word for yet :joy:

5 Likes