My Meaningful Baby Names

Which of these eight baby girl names do you like best? They’re all incredibly significant, whether in etymology, Biblical usage, or meaning. I would love to hear why you chose what you did in the comments! I’ve been having trouble loving girl names recently. [name_f]My[/name_f] boy names feel much more beautiful.

• [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] Gospel
  • [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Thaddea[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] [name_f]Divine[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverence
  • [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]

0 voters

I think [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] and [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverence are both beautiful! [name_f]My[/name_f] top picks for sure.

[name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] has always sounded a little sinister to my ears. I also feel like [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] is a little difficult to say - but that just might be me.

[name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] is a fine name, as is [name_f]Thaddea[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f] - just not my favorites. I think [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] [name_f]Divine[/name_f] is middle tier for me as well. [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] Gospel is almost a little too much as pair. I think [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] is beautiful, but would work better with a different middle. [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] [name_f]Divine[/name_f]? [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f], [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f]?

I chose [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], [name_f]Thaddea[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f], and [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverence. Such beautiful names!
[name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] is my favorite. She’s so bright and joyful :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] and [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverance! I like the flow of both of them, think they would be very wearable, and they have such special meanings. A very cool list of names overall–some of them would be a little outside my comfort zone, but they’re beautiful.

1 Like

Oh, your list is so beautiful! They aren’t my style, but I love how they all sound, look, and the meaning behind them!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f], [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverance, [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], and [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] [name_f]Divine[/name_f]! All are so pretty and sweet. I also have to express my love for [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f], which is a name I love so much, and never see enough appreciation for!

1 Like

[name_f]Thaddea[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f] and [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] Deliverance are wondrous!

So, disclaimer, I think a lot of these names are just not my style, and there’s nothing wrong with that!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is easily [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] [name_f]Divine[/name_f]. I really like [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f]; it’s soft and flowy, and has a graceful strength. I also love [name_f]Tess[/name_f] or [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] as nicknames, or just [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] in full. [name_f]Divine[/name_f] is also lovely. [name_f]My[/name_f] next favorite is [name_f]Thaddea[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f].

Next tier for me includes [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], and [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverance. I find Deliverance to be very over the top but it’s fine as a middle name. [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] is pretty. I like the sound of [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] and I love the name [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] but together, they’re a bit much for me.

I’m not sure how to pronounce [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] but I think [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] is such a sweet middle. The pronunciation I’m coming up with doesn’t sound right? Same with [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f], I’ve never been able to find a pronunciation for it that sounds right. [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] is okay but I think [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] is prettier and more versatile. And [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]… I just don’t like it.

I think a lot of these names are super cool and unique, again just not my style.

I have a soft spot for [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] – she’s so gentle and beautiful.
Deliverance is unique, but I think it works well in the middle spot. It flows very well with [name_f]Susanna[/name_f], and it carries a strong meaning, which I love.
[name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverance is far and away my favorite!

[name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverance; [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] and [name_f]Thaddea[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f] are my top three. I also threw a vote for [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] mainly because I love [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] as the middle name.

You have a great way of putting names together! I think [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f] and [name_u]Harvest[/name_u] [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] are also two of my favorites I’ve seen you list for girls.

1 Like

[name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverance is gorgeous. It’s the only one I voted for (some of the others were just too many word names for me?), but I LOVE that you are even remotely considering [name_f]Euodia[/name_f]!!! What we know of [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] is SO little, but apparently [name_f]Evodie[/name_f] and [name_f]Evodia[/name_f] are rated, and I find [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] et al so intriguing!

I’d probably do something like [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Evodie[/name_f] or [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] [name_f]Temperance[/name_f], but [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] is interesting as a [name_u]Christian[/name_u]-faith name honor.

1 Like

I chose [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverance, it’s good balance of more familiar with an uncommon word name for a middle!

I really like both [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] and [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], but they feel very wordy as a combo. [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] would be nice.

I also really like [name_f]Blessing[/name_f] and [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] as middle names but [name_f]Thaddea[/name_f] and [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] aren’t my favorites, they’re a little too clunky IMO. But I think [name_f]Thea[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f] would be stunning.

I’d also suggest [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] [name_f]Glory[/name_f]/[name_f]Mercy[/name_f] and [name_f]Zipporah[/name_f] [name_f]Mercy[/name_f].

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] got my vote. I adore the name [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] - it has a whimsical quality to it that I love - and [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] flows well with it. Although I saw you used [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] in another combo - [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] would be absolutely gorgeous!

1 Like

I chose [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] because I think that’s a beautiful name with lots of adorable nicknames from [name_f]Annie[/name_f] to [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f]. (Isn’t the [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f] in its a wonderful life a [name_f]Susan[/name_f] or [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]?). I wanted to pick [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] though because I love how joyful it is. I actually really like the name [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] too but the two together is probably a little bolder than I would use. Idk even as I’m writing this, I’m thinking like no, [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] is so adorable, go for it. I think won me over in the time it took to type this haha. It’s a good one! [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] would be really cute too.

[name_f]Susanna[/name_f] Deliverance works well together. I also love the name [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f].

The religious imagery of these names is super strong, which honestly puts me off most of them. I would personally avoid naming a child to reflect my own spiritual views as they will be their own human who may grow up to have a different belief.

With that being said, [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] [name_f]Divine[/name_f] is really, really lovely! [name_f]Divine[/name_f] is a broader spiritual word which is more likely to resonate with many beliefs. The flow of this name is lovely due to [name_f]Divine[/name_f] being an iambic word, and [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] is intuitive to pronounce, lots of cute nickname potential and doesn’t sound “old” to my ears I.e. [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] or [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]

[name_f]Euodia[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] would be nice but I cannot for the life of me work out how to pronounce [name_f]Euodia[/name_f]. I think this would be a difficult name to have. And it’s not like she can fall back on a more grounded middle in this case.
[name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] is such a lovely middle name though and I wonder if there would be another first name that would pair better with it?

From your list I like:
[name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]
[name_f]Thaddea[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]
[name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]

I’d suggest (acknowledging these random names may not have special meaning to you):
[name_f]Eleora[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] (means ‘the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] is my light’)
[name_f]Elysia[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]
[name_f]Euphemia[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]

[name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] is quite cute. I know a [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] who goes by Juby and she suits it!

[name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
I really like [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] but [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] is unpleasant to my ear and reminds me of the horrible sins of [name_m]David[/name_m]. I wouldn’t want to name my child after this story. I wonder if [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] would be better paired with something else on your list?

I really love [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] as an alternative combination!

[name_f]Galilee[/name_f], Gospel and Deliverance (in my opinion) are too clunky, heavy and religious to work on a human child. [name_m]Even[/name_m] in the middle spot. They are veering into Gloriavale territory. This is just my brutally honest opinion though! I hope it’s not offensive as I know the names have meaning for you.

I’m someone who has a different religious view to my parents and I’d find it really difficult if they had named me something strongly invoking their beliefs.

2 Likes

I chose [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]. [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] means “a good journey”. I really love that meaning and it reminds me that even when life gets you down you have to know it’s all for a purpose and it’s going to be a good journey. [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] is perfect with this combo. After the flood, the rainbow came as a promise to never flood the earth again. I really like how that ties into the “good journey” meaning; something good will always come after the storm.

She might have to tell people how to pronounce and spell her name but in the grand scheme of things, it’s really not that big of a deal. Most people have to correct their teachers, doctors, etc. I even have to tell people my name is pronounced [name_u]Louise[/name_u] not [name_m]Louis[/name_m] or [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], so it’s going to happen no matter how “simple” the name is,

I also wanted to say I love when people name their children after their religious beliefs or something else that is meaningful. It just adds so much more to the name than just “I liked the name”. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though they may grow up to believe in something else, it still ties them back to their family. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all for the votes and opinions. It’s been really fun to hear what everyone thinks of these names. I knew that they would be controversial, especially the double-word name ones and the names that feel more explicitly religious. However, I’ve thought long and hard about how fair it is to give a child a name that reflects beliefs that may not necessarily be there own, and I’ve ultimately decided that it feels alright for my family. A girl called [name_u]Sailor[/name_u] might not grow up to love the boating, but isn’t her name still sweet all the same?

@AdroitArtemis, you completely got where I was going with [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]! Oh, that made me smile.

2 Likes

I chose [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] but a couple other combos from your names are: [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f], [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f], [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] Gospel, and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f]