:-? My new name crush: too much trouble?

I love the sound and spelling of [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] (EE-fa), but don’t know if it would be an undue burden on an American child. Would people mishear it as [name_f]Eva[/name_f]? I have an Irish name that’s hard to pronounce and spell (and it always made me feel special!), but nowhere near as hopeless as [name_f]Aoife[/name_f]. What are your thoughts?

I think it’s cute, but I would love to hear what others have to say because I have a Japanese name picked out

Thanks @pinkglitter! I think parents are internationalizing names a lot now, so people are getting used to more “foreign” names and taking them in stride.

Is that an Irish name as well?

Yup. :slight_smile: Right now I’m liking the combo [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] [name_f]Lilac[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] its just as pretty as [name_f]Lily[/name_f], but not as common.

I love it, very cute. I think you may have people confuse it with [name_f]Eva[/name_f] but I don’t think that is a big deal. Yes most people won’t know how to say it, but in saying that my daughter has a very straight forward name that is constantly confused for another similar name. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how careful you think you are being, it still gets confused. I would go for it :grinning:

[name_f]Aoife[/name_f] is lovely (and I love the saying that goes with it - “[name_f]Aoife[/name_f]…missing u always” (because u is the only vowel it doesn’t have.) I say go for it, be ready to politely correct people when they make a mistake, and be ready also for them to say “that’s a great name”. :slight_smile:

I like it. I also have an unusual name so I have always had to spell it out and correct people on pronunciation (never bothered me). I also think that people are familiar with “[name_f]Aoi[/name_f]”.

I honestly dont even know how to pronounce it, so yes I think it’s definitely a name that will require teaching.

I know a little [name_f]Aoife[/name_f], I think it’s adorable. The pronunciation is difficult on paper for those unfamiliar, but extremely simple to say and remember once you know it. So I don’t think it would be a problem in school or with friends. it might get misspelled a lot though.

Anyway, I think it works, I live in [name_m]Boston[/name_m] though where there are a lot of Irish names. Midwest may be a different story. ([name_m]Just[/name_m] reread your post and realized you know best from experience! )

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it! I do think lots of people will hear it as [name_f]Eva[/name_f], and lots more will struggle to spell it, but it’s easy enough to say once you’ve understood that it’s “EE-fa”, and it’s only five letters long so how many spelling mistakes can they make? I think it’s a beautiful, streamlined name and the combo [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] is just lovely.

I absolutely think you should keep it! My favorite girls’ name stems from a language that most people would be unfamiliar with; still going to use it. The public at large is more open-minded about unique names now than they ever were, so heck, take advantage of it. Also, keep in mind that “too much trouble” is relative. Forty years ago, [name_u]Sierra[/name_u] or [name_u]Winter[/name_u] would have been strange. Now no one even blinks. Your [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] may not seem as odd as you think by the time she gets to high school if name trends continue as they have been.

Thanks so much for all the positive comments! You are giving me the confidence to put [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] on my short list. :slight_smile: I’m liking it more and more.

@esita, I never heard that phrase “missing u always” but I think it’s hilarious/adorable! :slight_smile: [name_m]Just[/name_m] one more reason [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] is winning me over.