My niece's list

My niece is expecting a baby boy due before [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and would like some critiques on her list.

[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_m]Trevor[/name_m]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_m]Neville[/name_m] (Too [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]?)
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_u]Toby[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] (Too [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]?)

Thank you!

The names I really like on her list:
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] - Strong name, classic but not commonly heard, nickname option [name_m]Leo[/name_m] / [name_m]Eli[/name_m].
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] - not heard often, nice nickname option [name_m]Gabe[/name_m].
[name_u]Toby[/name_u] - has a best friend feel, I see it as a nickname for [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] though.

Okay, but not my taste
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_m]Neville[/name_m] (Too [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]?) I don’t really mind it’s HP. I’d be more concerned that the character was a bit of a klutz and that people will assume [name_m]Neville[/name_m] is clumsy. So I’d suggest [name_m]Nigel[/name_m].
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] (Too [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]?) - I relate it more to the [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] sea than [name_f]Narnia[/name_f].

Name I dislike:
[name_m]Trevor[/name_m] - Can’t say why but it’s a name I have never liked.

I vote for [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] and call him [name_u]Toby[/name_u].
I know 2 girls named [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]. Also [name_f]Brielle[/name_f] and [name_f]Bree[/name_f] are girls names.
There would be a strong temptation to call baby [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], so you would have to be firm about [name_m]Eli[/name_m] right from the beginning.

[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]- [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t like it.
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]- [name_u]LOVE[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]- Like
[name_m]Trevor[/name_m]- Dislike
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]- [name_u]Love[/name_u]
[name_m]Neville[/name_m]- Dislike
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]- Like
[name_u]Toby[/name_u]- Neutral, though I like [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]- Like

Congrats to your niece!

[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is my favorite followed by [name_u]Toby[/name_u] and [name_m]Jonah[/name_m]

I like [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] (but not [name_m]Gabe[/name_m]), and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Cas[/name_m]). As previously mentioned, [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] makes me think of the sea rather than [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]. And [name_m]Neville[/name_m] does instantly bring [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] to my mind.

My faves are [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]. My least fave are [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] and [name_m]Neville[/name_m].

Either [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] or [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] would get my vote (for a Christmastime baby I especially like [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]).

I actually love [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Neville[/name_m], and [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]. I’m a teacher, and I enjoy names that I don’t encounter frequently. I would suggest using [name_m]Neville[/name_m] as a middle simply because it lacks a lot of male nicknames and it’s very British (though the HP connection is positive in my book–he becomes such an admirable character).
I would love to see a little [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_m]Neville[/name_m] in my classroom.

[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]/[name_m]Jonas[/name_m] - I prefer [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] over [name_m]Jonas[/name_m].
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] - It’s fairly common now, so this would be a trendy safe choice.
[name_m]Trevor[/name_m] - I see this more as a middle name, but it can also be great as a first name.
[name_m]Asher[/name_m] - Cute for a baby, suitable for an adult. It’s a great name.
[name_m]Neville[/name_m] - This might be a bit too [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. It would work fine as middle, tho, especially if she is a [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] fan!
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] - You can’t really go wrong with [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m].
[name_u]Toby[/name_u] - Can also be a nickname to [name_m]Tobias[/name_m].
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] - I don’t think [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is too [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] seems like it is the name of a little prince! Also works well on an adult. If [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] “too [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]” for her, there are plenty of other great [name_m]Cas[/name_m] names ([name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_m]Cassius[/name_m], [name_m]Cassian[/name_m])

My favorites for the list are [name_m]Asher[/name_m] and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m].

I like [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] best!

I think all are nice names, except I just can’t get behind [name_m]Neville[/name_m]. [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] and [name_m]Asher[/name_m] are on my list too, and I kind of like the combination of [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] [name_m]Asher[/name_m].

Suggestions:
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]

[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]- cute
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]-not a fan. Too Jonas brothers.
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]-cute
[name_m]Trevor[/name_m]-nms
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]-meh. Reminds me of that character from How to get away with murder.
[name_m]Neville[/name_m]- too Harry Potter for my tastes… would be great for a middle if you were a Potterhead. Neville was an inspirational character and the actor who played him had the greatest puberty in the history of all child actors.
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]- reminds me of the angel
[name_u]Toby[/name_u]-I prefer a full name with the nn Toby
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]- think this is very Narnia but would endorse as a mn

They have decided on either [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] or [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]. Thank you to everyone who helped out!

I like:
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_u]Toby[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]

I like [name_m]Jonah[/name_m], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], and [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]

I like [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], especially for a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby!

I like [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] as well.

I have a hard time with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] because even though it’s cute, I know so many horses and ponies named [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]. And while I know a few good horses named [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], a lot of them are little turds. lol

[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]- [name_u]Love[/name_u] this name! Its pretty classic but isn’t overused from what i know. It seems great

[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]- Modern [name_m]Jonah[/name_m]. Sounds spunkier. Its pretty nice. i personally wouldnt use it but i like on someone else.

[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]- Its okay. Nice name but I love the harder [name_m]Eli[/name_m] sounding names [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] seems soft.

[name_m]Trevor[/name_m]- Its so/so Its not my favorite but its not horrible.

[name_m]Asher[/name_m]- Not a Like of mine… all I can think of are Ashes

[name_m]Neville[/name_m] (Too [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]? <---- Is there a such thing?) Its pretty cool.

Gabriel- Its alright I guess. Its just tooo meh for me. the nickname Gabe isn’t horrible.

Toby- I love the name Toby! Its so cute!

Caspian (Too Narnia?) - I personally wouldn’t.

[name_m]Jonah[/name_m] - never liked it
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m] - never liked it
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] - like it
[name_m]Trevor[/name_m] - neutral
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]- like it
[name_m]Neville[/name_m] (Too [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]?) - never read HP. i think of the [name_m]Neville[/name_m] brothers (singers). I imagine a nerd with this name
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] - i like it & the English nickname [name_m]Gabe[/name_m], but if your niece has anyone in the family from another language background, they are very likely to say “[name_u]Gabby[/name_u]” like the female version of the nickname.
[name_u]Toby[/name_u] - fine, a bit boring
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] (Too [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]?) - love it

[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]: I love this name. I love boys names that end with the “uh” sound.
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]: Too [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] Brothers to me.
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]: [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] choice, and this is my favourite spelling of the name.
[name_m]Trevor[/name_m]: Not a bad name, not my favourite though.
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]: One of my all time favourite boys names.
[name_m]Neville[/name_m] (Too [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]?): Yes, I think it’s too [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], unfortunately.
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]: Very nice, classic choice.
[name_u]Toby[/name_u]: I only like it as a nickname for [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] as it feels incomplete on its own, in my opinion.
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] (Too [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]?): I don’t know if I’d say it was “too [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]” per se, but I don’t really like it.

My personal favourite of the list is definitely [name_m]Asher[/name_m], though I’m hesitant to say that because I don’t want it to get any more popular than it already is ahah!

Congratulations and good luck to your niece :slight_smile: