My other half's choice

So he laid down the law last night. Apparently he is set on [name]Gaius[/name] if we ever have a little boy. I like it, but I’m worried about mispronunciation and teasing potential. What are your thoughts on the name?

Battlestar Galactica fan? :wink: I think it’s a great name, but the pronunciation/spelling isn’t completely intuitive. That wouldn’t really bother me. I don’t really see any teasing issues with it.

^ He’s right into his Battlestar at the moment haha. His second choice, if not [name]Gaius[/name], was Baltar :lol:

My husband is always trying to pull these Battlestar Galactica names too. When he suggested [name]Gaius[/name] I just said [name]Gay[/name]-Us. That was the end of that one.

I’ve never seen Battlestar Whosis, and the only intuitive option to me is [name]Gay[/name]-us. I’m sure he’d get that far more often than he’d get the correct pronunciation, whatever that is.

It’s pronounced [name]GUY[/name]-us like [name]Gaia[/name]

I think it’s pretty and we also like Battlestar Gallactica so it has the smart interesting connotation, but I do think that most people would assume it has the “gay” sound at the beginning. Maybe that doesn’t bother you though - the sound of the properly pronounced name is really nice to me! But I just personally wouldn’t want a name that I had to explain the pronunciation and spelling of every time I met someone.

I am also a fan of [name]Gaius[/name] but had the same concern. Besides the Battlestar character, it was actually [name]Julius[/name] [name]Ceasar[/name]'s first name. I was trying to think of a way to change the spelling without having other pronunciation issues, but I can’t come up with anything.

I’m not familiar with the show, so reading it, I also assumed it was gay-us. I think it’s neat that it’s an old [name]Julius[/name] [name]Caesar[/name] name, but I wonder how many others would know how to pronounce it. And evenso, kids can be cruel.

I also assumed [name]Gay[/name]-us. Sad that it’s so, but I do think this name is likely to be a problem in the schoolyard.

His sisters name is [name]Gaye[/name], so I don’t think he’s as worried about it as I am. I’m getting over it, though. He should be saying his name more than he is having it read out, so it should be ok, right?

[name]Just[/name] go with [name]Guy[/name]! [name]Gaius[/name] is very sissy.

Combo to honour [name]Star[/name] Wars

[name]Guy[/name] [name]Walker[/name] ([name]Luke[/name] [name]Sky[/name] [name]Walker[/name])

I guess I’d try to get him to go with the [name]Caius[/name] spelling/pronunciation instead.

[name]Trust[/name] me, that was the first thing I did! :lol: He thinks it sounds to girly. He’s a weirdo!

If he insists on [name]Gaius[/name], then insist on a nickname like [name]Gus[/name]:wink:

I’ve never heard of the show, and my guess is it would be pronounced [name]Gay[/name]-us. I would pick a different name, regardless of the correct pronunciation.

[name]Gaius[/name] is a cool name. I’m actually thinking about that as a first name as well. In spite of the teasing potential (“gay-us” and what not), I think once you correct people - it’ll catch on.
Especially when you call out “[name]Guy[/name]” as a nickname across the playground. That’s really what I like about it.

Although, I can see how that create another issue: when your son hears “Hey guy” as he walks down the street, he may think someone is calling him over.