my quiz re "Alec"

Is the name [name]Alec[/name] 1)trendy, 2)geeky 3)old fashioned/traditional, or 4) a thugs name?

Thanks for all input!

I do love the name [name]Alec[/name], always have. However, it could get mixed up as [name]Alex[/name]. I would say [name]Alec[/name] is a traditional boy’s name, with an Irish feel.

I actually don’t think [name]Alec[/name] is any of the things you mentioned. It’s an okay name, nothing wrong with it, but nothing that inspires any great love either. Reminds me of [name]Alec[/name] [name]Baldwin[/name] because I don’t know anyone in real life with the name. I think I would be more inclined to use it as a nn for [name]Alexander[/name] than as a full name in its own right, but it could certainly stand alone.

I think the problem with [name]Alec[/name] is that it doesn’t quite fit into any category or style (though I guess, arguably, that could be a good thing; in this case, however, I feel it makes the name lack personality). It’s too middle aged to be trendy, too off beat to sound classic, too brief and choppy to sound particularly serious or handsome, but too heavy - or maybe just too close to [name]Alan[/name] - to sound playful or fun. It just seems like the kind of name where whatever you’re going for in a name, you could probably get away with [name]Alec[/name] (e.g. it would probably fit into most sibling sets) but it would also probably never be the best match.
For example, if you want a strong, traditional, classic name, you could get away with [name]Alec[/name], but it can’t compete with [name]John[/name], [name]Robert[/name], or [name]William[/name].
If your other children have vintage names, you could get away with [name]Alec[/name], but it’s no [name]Henry[/name] or [name]Oliver[/name].
If you want to be trendy and modern, you could pick [name]Alec[/name], but you’d be better served by [name]Holden[/name] or [name]Jackson[/name].
If you were going for the nickname trend, [name]Alec[/name] fits the bill, but it’s not quite [name]Gus[/name] or [name]Max[/name] or [name]Alfie[/name].

[name]Alec[/name] is not trendy
[name]Alec[/name] is not geeky
[name]Alec[/name] is a traditional name not in common use
[name]Alec[/name] is definitely not a thug’s name, (where did you get that idea?)

I really like [name]Alec[/name] esp as an alternative to [name]Alexander[/name].

[name]Alec[/name] isn’t any of those things to me. :slight_smile: I think it’s handsome, and I associate it with a bright, handsome, athletic boy or man.

(I know an [name]Alec[/name] whose name is constantly confused with [name]Alex[/name]. This may not be an issue for you, but I thought I’d mention it just in case.) :slight_smile:

Good luck!