My Rose Problem! 😬

Yesterday, I found a video in my recommendations about this horrible criminal called [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]West[/name_u], and honestly, it’s kind of tainted the name for me, which makes me really sad because I really do love it. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think that I’m overthinking this? Does this happen to you as well? What do you think of when you hear the name [name_f]Rose[/name_f]? Thank you in advance.

I personally wouldn’t let it bother me – not everyone will know her anyway, so she’s no immediate association for most. I’ve had similar situations (in fact, it looks like my current name crush is her middle name), but as long as a name won’t be connected to a negative association by most people I’d just stick with my love for the name. Obviously it’s up to you to decide how strongly you’re affected by the association, but I’d say you needn’t worry :slight_smile: [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is such a sweet name and I’d only connect it to the flower or [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_m]Parks[/name_m], if I had to name someone famous.

4 Likes

I googled her and her given name is [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] if that makes you feel better! I agree that most people won’t think of her at all if they meet another [name_f]Rose[/name_f], and the name has so many positive associations that outweigh the negative anyway. This is bound to happen with popular names - for example [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] seems to be quite popular at the moment, despite [name_m]Ted[/name_m] Bundy :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Never heard of this person

1 Like

@planetnames Thank you! This makes me feel much better.
@fairy I didn’t know that her given name is [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]! Thank you so much.

Unless your surname is [name_u]West[/name_u], or you’re going for [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_m]Fred[/name_m] for a sibset, I think it’s fine. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a popular (and beautiful!) name with a lot of history outside of that association.

In fact, [name_u]West[/name_u] is a family name for me and I have relatives with the exact same names of some of the members of that particular family. I think in the 90s when the case was infamous it was more of a problem than it is now. Really nobody says anything anymore.

So if you’re only worried about using [name_f]Rose[/name_f] on its own - I doubt anyone will make the connection to her. Especially if you’re outside the UK, but even if you aren’t. It’s not like calling a child Bundy or Dahmer or something.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! :blush:

1 Like

It does happen at times, however, the association usually fades quickly and seems to matter less when thinking about the name on a real person, who will make it their own.
As for [name_f]Rose[/name_f], it’s my favourite name, not super usable for me, but my favourite nonetheless, so it makes me think of wonderful things, walled gardens, old manors, the seaside, vintage clothes and a modern attitude.

𝒄𝒖𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒕 π’‡π’‚π’—π’π’–π’“π’Šπ’•π’†π’”

π‘‰π‘–π‘π‘‘π‘œπ‘Ÿ π‘‚π‘‘π‘–π‘™π‘œπ‘› π΅π‘Žπ‘ π‘–π‘™, π΄π‘›π‘œπ‘’π‘˜ πΆπ‘’π‘π‘–π‘™π‘–π‘Ž π‘€π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘”π‘œπ‘‘

π»π‘’π‘”π‘œ π‘π‘–π‘π‘Žπ‘›π‘œπ‘Ÿ πΈπ‘‘π‘šπ‘’π‘›π‘‘, π‘…π‘œπ‘ π‘’ πΏπ‘Žπ‘£π‘–π‘›π‘–π‘Ž πΈπ‘‘π‘–π‘‘β„Ž

π΅π‘’π‘π‘˜π‘’π‘‘π‘‘ πΆπ‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘ π‘œ, 𝐴𝑑𝑒𝑙𝑒 π‘‡β„Žπ‘œπ‘šπ‘Žπ‘ π‘–π‘›π‘Ž, πΌπ‘£π‘œπ‘Ÿ πΈπ‘™π‘™π‘–π‘œπ‘‘π‘‘

2 Likes

Thank you! I love [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] [name_f]Edith[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

1 Like

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] is such a common name, there are so many other associations and namesakes. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is just a lovely name.

1 Like

I don’t associate [name_f]Rose[/name_f] with [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]West[/name_u] - I know of her story and existence altogether but it isn’t the first thing that springs to mind when I think about the name - I don’t think you have anything to worry about with [name_f]Rose[/name_f] on that front :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re over thinking it. I’m a big crime buff, I’m well aware of [name_m]Fred[/name_m] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]West[/name_u] and I’m knowledgeable on their case. But I have [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as a mn for my future daughter and she doesn’t even cross my mind.

1 Like

Never heard of her, so I wouldn’t let it bother me if I were you! Every name has some negative connotation to it if you dig deep enough!

1 Like

I think of roses the flowers and the floriography meanings surrounding that.

I think of the medieval name Rohese which is supposedly where we originally got the name from.

I think of [name_f]Rose[/name_f] Granger-Weasley, [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] from Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u].

Being British I think of the phrase β€˜My [name_f]English[/name_f] Rose’ - also thinking about it the [name_m]Ed[/name_m] Sheeran song as well.

And I also think of the Tudors and the Wars of the Roses - [name_u]Red[/name_u] and White - [name_m]Lancaster[/name_m] and [name_u]York[/name_u]

I think [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a beautiful name. I love it. There are probably criminals with most names in the world. Don’t let it ruin it for you unless it’s a name that’s widely famous…but then [name_m]Jack[/name_m] the Ripper is a negative connotation and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is well beloved

1 Like

i have never heard of her, and i bet that’s true for most people! don’t worry.

πšƒπš˜πšπšŠπš’β€™πšœ πšƒπš˜πš™ π™½πšŠπš–πšŽπšœ:
π™²πš›πšŽπšœπšœπš’πšπšŠ, π™ΌπšŠπš›πš’πš˜πš—, π™°πš•πšŠπš—πšŠ, π™²πš›πš’πšœπš™πš’πš—, π™½πšŠπš›πšŒπš’πšœπšœπšŠ, π™ΌπšŠπš’πšœπš’πšŽ, πšƒπšŽπšπšπš’

1 Like

Off topic, but signatures are back?!?

1 Like

I am familiar with [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]West[/name_u], as someone who is interested in true crime, and I never associate her when I hear the name [name_f]Rose[/name_f]! [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a classic, timeless, and beautiful name.
There are going to be bad people someone associated with almost every name. Unless it’s a name that is exclusively associated with someone negative, I don’t think you should put too much thought into it. I definitely don’t see [name_f]Rose[/name_f] fitting in that category, so I think you’re good to go! :slight_smile:

1 Like

kind of! we’re manually inputting them though.

1 Like

It’s not like I hate [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or anything like that, but I see it as a middle and/or filler name. And don’t worry, I think most people have better associations with [name_f]Rose[/name_f] considering how many people have it as a first or middle

1 Like

I think of about five million different people and places and things and my own 60 roses.

I can see if the criminal’s name were [name_f]Connemara[/name_f] [name_f]Velvet[/name_f] and that put you off those names, but [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is everywhere. Don’t let it taint you on the name.

2 Likes