My sister hates her name!

My sister is almost eighteen. She will be going off to college soon, and she is thinking about changing what she goes by. Her first name is [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], which she doesn’t like because it is so common. She also doesn’t like the Shakespearean origin of it because The Merchant of [name_f]Venice[/name_f] is so controversial, and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] is perhaps not the best of characters. However, she does like the sound of [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], and she doesn’t want to change her first name because she feels like that is still a part of her identity. Unfortunately, she doesn’t like the typical nicknames for [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], but if you can think of any others, she may be open to them.

She does want to change her middle name though. It’s [name_f]Paige[/name_f] now, which is very much a filler name. She also thinks the meaning is boring, and she would prefer a middle name that is more meaningful.

She is hoping that she could change her middle name and go either by it or by a nickname for it. However, many “P” names do not work very well with [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. Our last name is two syllables and ends in an “n.” Can you think of a new middle name for her, preferably one that has nicknames and a nice meaning?

I know this might be a difficult task, so thanks so much! If you have any other suggestions about what she could do about her name, please feel free to mention them.

The only non-typical nickname I could think of for [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] would be Sia (like the Australian singer).
It contains all the same letters in the same order, mightn’t be much help but I thought I’d suggest it.

Nicknames:

[name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_u]Jessie[/name_u]
[name_u]Jess[/name_u]
[name_f]Jessa[/name_f]
[name_m]Jazzy[/name_m]
[name_f]Essie[/name_f]
[name_m]Esa[/name_m]
Sia
Jia
Kika – like kee-kah
[name_f]Sisi[/name_f] – like see-see
[name_u]Issa[/name_u]

Also [name_f]Sissy[/name_f], or alternately Cici
She could even make the nickname all her own and spell it Sici. (sici reminds me of sicily though… which according to nameberry is also a name).

i happen to love [name_f]Paige[/name_f], reminds me of [name_f]Rose[/name_f] McGowens character on Charmed.

of course that leads me to the other characters [name_u]Piper[/name_u], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Prudence[/name_f], and [name_f]Patricia[/name_f]

others: [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]

dont think any of these really work with [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], they arent of the same style.

i say learn to love, the same as you would your eyes or nose. accept yourself for who you are, dont slather on a bunch or stuff or change yourself.

plus shes just a teenager! grow up a little, everyone feels like they want to change everything about themselves when they are that age.

and changing your middle doesnt really seem like it’ll change much since she isnt going by it, it’ll just be her knowing it and personally feeling better.

think its more beneficial for her to know and love her name as it is, that growth is what brings true inner confidence & happiness.

If she’s serious about changing her name, the sooner the better (once she’s accepted to college–don’t want any confusion about transcripts to affect that). In the future she’ll have multitudes of accounts/utilities/loans/credit reports/etc., and everyone has to be notified. It will be easier to manage the legal aspects if she does it sooner, rather than later.

Im slightly sad she doesn’t like [name_u]Jess[/name_u] because I have always had a small crush on that nickname for girls and guys (and the show [name_m]New[/name_m] Girl has strengthened it!)
What about [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] or [name_f]Essie[/name_f] as suggested above?
I think [name_f]Essie[/name_f] is an amazing nickname!
Otherwise I would advice her to own her name. If I meet someone with a name I originally hated but they are confident and have an amazing personality I usually begin to love the name as well!

Aww I am a [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] and can identify. I’ve come to love it now (18 was a while ago) and I’m glad she’s sticking out to keep it even if only formally/legally. I’m lucky to have a middle that doesn’t feel filler to me. [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] still doesn’t fully suit me in terms of what I think of the image for it, probably never will, although I’ve found [name_u]Jess[/name_u] to really suit me. I can understand if she doesn’t though (I feel that way about [name_u]Jessie[/name_u], very much so). I’d focus on the Shakespearean ties rather than the details of the character if that helps her. It also has Biblical roots (that may make her like it more or less, or the same) - there is a minor Old Testament/Hebrew Bible figure called Iscah, and it’s believed [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] got the inspiration for the name from that.

There are a lot of good suggestions and I do think [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] and [name_f]Essie[/name_f] are among the better. It’s more of a playful name than a nickname, but what about [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f]? Or with her P middle name, the made up but maybe cute Espie?

I think [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] above is a brilliant P suggestion. [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] would be doubly [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] and doubly Biblical (although [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] is [name_m]New[/name_m] Testament/[name_m]Christian[/name_m] Bible if that’s a different consideration for you), and they sound nice together. [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] has the great nn’s [name_u]Fee[/name_u] and [name_f]Bee[/name_f].

Does she like her initials JP?

OK, trying to think of other P names that sound nice with [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]…some of them work more or less with how you describe your last name, but that would be for her to decide
[name_u]Padget[/name_u] or a spelling variant - these are actually all related to [name_f]Paige[/name_f] and [name_f]Ettie[/name_f] or [name_f]Etta[/name_f] might be a nn option
[name_f]Pari[/name_f] - persian for [name_f]Fairy[/name_f]
[name_u]Pascale[/name_u] - ties to [name_f]Easter[/name_f]/Passover if that works for her, [name_f]Callie[/name_f]/[name_f]Calla[/name_f] might work as a nn.

• there are a million variants that sound OK with [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]: [name_f]Pascalette[/name_f], [name_f]Pascalie[/name_f], [name_f]Pascaline[/name_f], [name_f]Paschale[/name_f], [name_f]Paschelle[/name_f], [name_u]Pascoe[/name_u], [name_f]Pasquette[/name_f]
    [name_f]Patience[/name_f] – nn’s [name_f]Patty[/name_f] and [name_u]Patsy[/name_u] work
    [name_u]Patrice[/name_u] - [name_u]Reese[/name_u] could be a nn
    [name_u]Parker[/name_u] (another occupational name, makes me think of the cool [name_u]Parker[/name_u] [name_f]Posey[/name_f]).
    [name_f]Paulette[/name_f] - [name_f]Lettie[/name_f], [name_f]Ettie[/name_f]
    [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] - [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Leena[/name_f] maybe
    [name_f]Paulille[/name_f] - [name_f]Lilly[/name_f], [name_f]Lilla[/name_f]
    [name_u]Pax[/name_u]
    [name_u]Paz[/name_u]
    [name_u]Peace[/name_u]
    [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
    [name_u]Penrose[/name_u] - [name_u]Penny[/name_u], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
    [name_u]Pepper[/name_u]
    [name_f]Peridot[/name_f]
    [name_f]Persis[/name_f]
    [name_f]Petal[/name_f]
    [name_f]Philomene[/name_f] - nn’s [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Mena[/name_f]
    [name_f]Philippine[/name_f] - nn [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
    [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]
    [name_f]Pleasant[/name_f]
    [name_f]Pia[/name_f] - I’ve been mainy staying away from all the ends in -a names, but [name_f]Pia[/name_f] I think would work. All the letters are in [name_f]Paige[/name_f], too.
    [name_f]Pilar[/name_f]
    [name_u]Piper[/name_u]
    [name_f]Polly[/name_f] - pretty nicknamey but works
    [name_f]Plum[/name_f]
    [name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] - nn [name_f]Pomme[/name_f]?
    [name_f]Poem[/name_f] - I kind of like the way something literary ties to [name_f]Paige[/name_f] in sound, if not meaning…
    [name_f]Poet[/name_f]
    [name_f]Poetry[/name_f]
    Poesie (the French word for [name_f]Poetry[/name_f] - po-eh-zee)
    [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
    [name_f]Posy[/name_f] (the flower)
    [name_u]Prairie[/name_u]
    [name_f]Praise[/name_f]
    Primevere - nn Prim, [name_f]Vera[/name_f]
    [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] - Prim, [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
    [name_f]Provence[/name_f]
    Providence
    [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] (don’t love this but nickname [name_f]Pru[/name_f] is nice)

Any luck? Let us know!